follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #29
Mavrik

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
So, were you completely stopped when you pressed the button? How many seconds before the two red indicators appeared? I'm just starting to play with mine, but it seems the "sport mode" is useless for autox in the dry.
"Sport mode" aka VSC is pointless in the dry.

I was completely stopped, e-brake up, waiting in grid when I was pressing the TRAC OFF button. I had read earlier that it could not be switched off when in motion.

TRAC OFF indicator appeared the moment I pressed the button but the second light didn't appear until roughly 8 seconds later.

I tried today to see if you can have VSC and TRAC OFF at the same time. But when TRAC OFF with all driver assists turned off is active, it seems VSC is no longer on. It turned off on its own.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #30
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I took the car out yesterday with a friend who also picked up an FR-S. I ran mine completely stock while my buddy ran with 225 Star Specs, -2.4 camber up front and -1.6 out back.
Can I ask how your friend achieved his camber settings? Was that with the stock alignment bolts?
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
Can I ask how your friend achieved his camber settings? Was that with the stock alignment bolts?
He used specialty performance bots up front and maxed out the "camber correction" tolerances in the rear.
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Vanguard

Drives: Ford F-150 (not for long)
Quote:
He used specialty performance bots up front and maxed out the "camber correction" tolerances in the rear.
The H&R bolts? Something else?

-2.4 up front is AWESOME, but for stock purposes it won't work. I highly doubt the subie/scion bolts get you anywhere close to that.
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #33
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I noticed the fuel cut off as well. So weird. You have to hold both buttons down till they both say off. I still put it in sport mode. When in sport mode the trans holds gears longer! However I still leave it on sport when doing Manuel mode with the paddles. That fuel cut off is wicked though. Wonder if Mts can bounce or if they cut fuel as well.
feldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #34
RiskyTrousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
The H&R bolts? Something else?

-2.4 up front is AWESOME, but for stock purposes it won't work. I highly doubt the subie/scion bolts get you anywhere close to that.
I think they're called SPC camber bolts. I think they maxed out at -2.9 but he backed it off to -2.4
Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #35
EMguy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
... the super annoying fuel cut. When you hit redline the engine slowly goes down to about 7k, it doesn't just bang off the rev limiter like normal.
Was this an automatic, or manual?
EMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #36
RiskyTrousers

Manual.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
Mavrik

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
I noticed the fuel cut off as well. So weird. You have to hold both buttons down till they both say off. I still put it in sport mode. When in sport mode the trans holds gears longer! However I still leave it on sport when doing Manuel mode with the paddles. That fuel cut off is wicked though. Wonder if Mts can bounce or if they cut fuel as well.
My manual does fuel cut when the driver assists kick in with VSC SPORT on.

I never got right to the redline on my autocross runs so I couldn't tell you how it felt for fuel cut at that point.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
MTeator
First 86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
The fuel cut at redline is terrible no matter what nannies you have turned off or on. Was hoping it would be more like my MR2.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #39
Vanguard

Drives: Ford F-150 (not for long)
I bet the fuel cut can be tuned out. The big question is if it will cause serious damage...
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #40
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Car felt good for sure. I sucked driving it.. and yeah, that soft fuel cut sucks ass.

Link to videos/me talking about how much I suck. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #41
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Well...had my first event this past weekend. Car drove well but I have noticed some things:
- it seems that when on the power in a straight line...it feels different than on the power in the corners...Situation: going thru the slalom, with all Traction Control off...the car didn't want to accelerate...like it was boggy.... now in a straight line...it feels fine.. I am not thoroughly convinced that there still is some kind of electronic/ECU device *Yaw Sensor maybe, holding the car back..
The car transitions really well..and the BRAKES are fantastic...for stock... its easy to stab brake and kinda steer with the throttle if you have to... it just rotates soo well..
-Traction control is the DEBEL...nuff said
-the lack of Camber is going to be this cars downfall, I feel... I understand the engineering of what they did...but damn, give us a little something to play with
-the Torsion Rear Diff seems adequate for now.. but I am already looking at putting a OS GIKEN 1.5 way diff in it as soon as I know for sure what ST class its going to.
-It really needs a tune...that dead/Flat spot in the lower RPM band really kills the momentum of the car...I am sure an aftermarket tuner will be to fix this.. but as she rides stock...it sucks.
-The car is Quick, Nimble and super fun... my codriver and I Paxed in the top 21...and Raw time in the top 24...out of 104... theres things that I feel will need ALOT of development...and some none at all.
-its a point and Shoot type car...it will pretty much go where you steer it..the gearbox seems adequate for now..but don't leave the traction control on..as you will BOG the launch...no matter what RPM you think your going to leave at...
-car is easy on the eyes on course..
-Quick note on Fuel....Fuel started at 1/4 tank...after 13 runs...6 ea normal...and 1 rerun for timing...never had a fuel issue. the fuel light never came on... we did some testing in parking lot the night before the event...Fuel light was on...and basically drove in sweeping circle for about 5 mins. at speed...like a G'force circle....Never hiccuped once... so as long as you don't run out...I would say 1/4 tank or less is a good starting point for the Fuel..more than that...is just extra weight....We did have a 5 gallon jug on site in case we needed any from the runs..which looks like that will be become std practice....but never needed it...ended up putting it in for the drive home..

more as I think of it..

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #42
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Thanks for the fuel tip especially. I'll target a quarter tank for autocrossing until lower is proven.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote