follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Drives: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 R6 Race Bike
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Project Tow Car - Lightning Red BRZ

Hey what is up everyone making a build thread here for my 2014 red BRZ limited 6spd.

Where the car currently sits

Exterior:
25% tint all around
Valenti CR Tails
Uhaul v1 hitch
JDM Clear Side Markers
Grimspeed License Plate Mount

Engine/Exhaust:
Invidia N1 Catback
K&N Drop in Filter
Sound Tube delete
Motul 300 all around!

Interior:
Flossy Elton Heavyweight Shift Knob
Illuminated Footwell kit
JPM Cluster Hood
Weathertech Floor mats
Perrin Shifter Bushing
JBL 10" Subwoofer in DIY Enclosure
JBL GX-A602 Amp

Wheels/Suspension:
Tein Street Basis Coilovers
PBM LCA
SPC Camber Bolts
Sport Edition SE-16 16x7.5 +50 w/ Pirelli Snows
ESM 007 18x8.5 +35 powdercoated Gunmetal
235/40/18 Federal SS-595

Rota SS10 17x9 + 42
245/40/17

Brakes:
Stoptech Slotted Rotors
Stoptech SS lines
Stoptech Performance pads
Stoptech STR600 Fluid (not in yet)

Little background! I've pretty much been into cars as long as I remember. Got lucky early on with a good choice and purchased a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS as my first car, which was perfect. Adequate power for being 16, really good looking car and fun to drive. It didn't change much for awhile but in my Senior year i had the opportunity to do a senior project. So rather than going to class for something else I opted to do that and made my engine swap project in the RS eligible for the senior project which was fantastic. I didn't even know what I was really doing when I got started. I could turn a wrench and do the basic stuff on the Subaru but never had I undertaken anything so time consuming/difficult on a car up to this point. Ran into some roadblocks along the way and didn't finish the car in a semester but fast forward about 10 months haha

Started here:

with this:

Stripped shell:

and complete!

Final spec sheet was full 2006 WRX swap (basically everything except seats and body stuff). WRX dash swap, sparco racing seats, stage 2 tune (225whp, 275 wtq) HKS exhaust and titek dp, JIC coilovers, cusco sway bars, some exterior goodies etc it was a good car.

Made the mistake of selling it the end of my freshman year of college. Don't really know why. Got a good price for it but still I spent a ton of time working on the car, lots of money ha too. I knew every bolt and nut on the car; it's easily one of my biggest regrets getting rid of it

Tried to make up for that along the way but never really had anything comparable after that. The list of cars after the RS was sold:

went to a 1990 240sx, stock engine, lots of modifications suspension wise. Handled/drifted very well, cosmetcially needed a little help. but so does every 240

After that bought a 96 Impreza OBS. Did a few things, ran it up to 235k miles and sold it to my brother who put another 20k on it before he sold it, still running well

repainted it with some friends

Then drove an 03 330i ZHP for about a year, put 25k miles on it fast. It didn't age well, wasn't in great shape when I bought it. I'm not a BMW guy so I wasn't a huge fan

Sold that and bought this guy, ended up getting screwed by the seller, still dealing with the issue in court right now

Bought an 05 Legacy GT with a blown engine, fixed that and drove it for awhile

Then traded that in and got the BRZ! I have been driving cars for a long time that I haven't been very happy with. I'm a car guy so I don't mind buying stuff and fixing it but it kind of came time to get something that would be nice and reliable that I can drive every day and not have to worry about it not starting in the morning.

A friend convinced me that I should spend a little bit more especially that I can afford it (graduated/got a job as a Mechanical Engineer in Boulder, co) and that I'll be happier with that. So I test drove a BRZ and an FR-S and eventually ended up financing post trade in with the LGT a '14 BRZ from a dealership in Thornton, CO. Fantastic salesguy, really painless process. Didn't know I was going to leave that day with the BRZ but I couldn't have been happier.

Came with the beautiful racing stripes

Got rid of those and took a nice photo with a friend's GF and her time attack built STI (thing is sweet, and she is fast)

Bought Valenti's and Invidia Catback

Got the hitch for the motorcycle trailer

And finally bought some coilovers

I've had a lot of cars over the years. Not all daily drivers but the list goes: 98 Impreza RS, 96 525i, 80 Civic, 03 OBS, 90 240sx, 96 OBS, 90 Rx7 5.0 swap, 95 Corolla wagon, 03 330i, 05 LGT, 05 STI, 14 BRZ plus '00 Ducati Monster 750, '03 GSXR600, '05 R6, now '06 CBR600 Race bike

Lots of the photos! More to come with time. Saving up for wheels and a lip kit most likely, go from there. Lots of plans but they'll have to wait

Last edited by srizzors25; 03-16-2016 at 06:03 PM.
srizzors25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
That car wash photo is priceless. Sub'd for that reason alone :p

I'm also in a similar boat - I have all the mods for my FR-S planned out, but none of the money yet...
Old 11-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Not much to report. turns out stock tires are terrible in the snow. Bought a set of used Sport Edition se-16's with Pirelli snow tires on them for about 400 bucks. Much better. Super fun to drive in the snow

(16x7.5 +50 w/ 215/55/16)
Old 11-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I'm interested to hear what happened with the blobeye and your court issues. Care to tell the tale?
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

On the STI, basically what happened is I got played haha

Was looking for a car for awhile after I sold my 330i. Found that one, was listed for 10.5k which was a really good deal (should have been the first red flag!) had around 110k miles something like that. I test drove it with a friend and it was pretty nice. Clearly needed some work which is why I wasn't completely scared off by the low price. mechanically it was solid. Body needed a little love. It was obvious it had been rear ended and fixed at some point, had a super janky exhaust, really tasteless paint inside and out (lime green calipers, blue and green spray paint under the hood and blue matched accents inside the car). Was fairly dirty inside. It drove well but it really needed some tlc.

So I bought it! but here was the second red flag. The problem was I too anxious to get a car and it bit me. He told me he had a lien on the car, needed some cash to pay it off. So I paid him half, and he gave me the car. He later said that if I gave him the rest of the money (said the title was paid at this point and on its way) he would take some off the total and call it good. Great I thought (stupid in hindsight). Drove the car for a couple months, started to clean things up etc. I keep on him about the title (even got it insured and all) but nothing really. Couple months go by, I get a call that his check supposedly bounced to the dealer where he bought it, and now they have to reposes the car. Well that's awesome. Says he'll bring cash with him and come take the car back. Supposedly there wasn't another option

So he shows up, with his "dad" and girlfriend. Turns out he didn't have money on him so stupid me (again with the hindsight) write up an agreement for him to pay me back and full and like an idiot I let him take the car.

We keep talking keep trying to meet up for money he keeps putting it off, making excuses, etc that sort of stuff. Last time he supposedly has a friend coming to help me, we meet downtown but he never shows up. I keep calling/texting him while I wait , no answer no reply that stuff. Leave him a nice message letting him know what I think of the situation and that was that.
Next day I get a call from the police, supposedly they called the cops on me for harassment. They tell me to stop calling and get someone else to deal with it.

I file a police report with the Westminster PD end up dealing with a very nice detective who is very helpful. Turns out the guy is a repeat felon on minor things (around 10 cases lol and he's 24 like me ...) Detective gets the guy and his girlfriend in, gets their story as well.

Turns out they bought the car, financed it or something through a dealer, ended up buying the car about 2 weeks before I bought it which means they intended to use the car as bait to rip someone off. Their down payment check bounced and they were force to self repo the car or get in big trouble. Turns out both the guy and his GF can both be in trouble for title fraud or something like that.
However, the cop tells me to go to civil court because criminal cases take forever and won't guarantee me any money back.

So I've been dealing with civil court for awhile. its a pain but has been relatively easy. They never show up to court so everything has been ruled in my favor.

The case finally closed last week which is awesome, currently in the process of getting information from them (court mandated) about where they work/bank/what cars they own/any property/houses owned etc. I can basically empty their bank accounts, put liens on property and garnish their wages until I get my 10k back.

It sucks and it'll take time but I'm finally en route to getting my money back. Not fun and I'll never be an idiot like that again. An expensive mistake on my part but hopefully I can get a decent portion back in a reasonable amount of time.

Luckily I had that legacy to sell in the meantime and was able to finance the BRZ so I'm happy with my car situation now and I have a nice paying job (engineer!) so I'm not hurting too bad but it would be super nice to get that money back asap

Under the hood for reference

and inside

I did love driving it though, pretty fast and fantastic in the snow (bought it in the middle of winter) had my fun with it (see below lol). I do miss it but I'm much happier with the BRZ
Old 01-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Couple Christmas presents to myself

Its been very cold and snowy here. Thus the car being so dirty :/
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 AM   #7
GT86_PRAGUE

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srizzors25 View Post
On the STI, basically what happened is I got played haha

Luckily I had that legacy to sell in the meantime and was able to finance the BRZ so I'm happy with my car situation now and I have a nice paying job (engineer!) so I'm not hurting too bad but it would be super nice to get that money back asap
Good luck!
GT86_PRAGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Thanks man! I believe the court deal is pretty much over; the case is currently closed and the information I need to collect should be in my mailbox today or tomorrow
Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Not much to report. turns out stock tires are terrible in the snow. Bought a set of used Sport Edition se-16's with Pirelli snow tires on them for about 400 bucks. Much better. Super fun to drive in the snow

(16x7.5 +50 w/ 215/55/16)
It looks like you are parked in front of JBSaunders....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
It looks like you are parked in front of JBSaunders....

Relatively close to it! I work over by the Ball Campus, we are more or less surrounded by Ball buildings. I do go to Saunders quite often though lol
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
stugray
Banned

Quote:
Relatively close to it! I work over by the Ball Campus, we are more or less surrounded by Ball buildings. I do go to Saunders quite often though lol
Ahh... I see that building is the one that houses the Rcky Mtn Theatre for Kids.

If your car was parked there now, I could literally see it from my office window.
Mine is the GBS BRZ that parks just off of Commerce across from the Ball Test facility.

And about 100 yards north of that spot is where this happened during the flood:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=boulder

That guy gave me his car cover and floor mats :-)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Ahh... I see that building is the one that houses the Rcky Mtn Theatre for Kids.

If your car was parked there now, I could literally see it from my office window.
Mine is the GBS BRZ that parks just off of Commerce across from the Ball Test facility.

And about 100 yards north of that spot is where this happened during the flood:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=boulder

That guy gave me his car cover and floor mats :-)
hahaha I remember that happening we walked out during the floods and I saw that car sitting halfway underwater there

Yea that's right I'm 2 doors down from those guys. They are fairly loud during the summer time when all the kids are singing their heads off lol
Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Installed a trunk net lol

Otherwise nothing has changed. I ordered some wheels that I think are going to look really sweet! The weather has been nice so it seemed like a logical time.

Selling my stock wheels/tires to my roommate for cheap because I'm a nice person lol

Soon to come but not ordered yet

Toe arms! (Probably SPL, maybe PBM when those come out)
Front lip/skirts/rear apron
JPM dash piece
Tires

Here's a clean photo from recent

Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
stugray
Banned

If your roommate decides not to buy your wheels, let me know.

I have driven through your parking lot a couple times with my BRZ when I saw your car parked trying to get your attention, but you must not have seen me.

And I forgot to mention that I have a tactrix in case you want to mess with a tune.
It was immediately noticeable when I tried the OFT stage 1.