follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2023, 08:47 PM   #15
RippedManiac
Jedi

Drives: Pikachu BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nail polish never let me down
RippedManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:27 AM   #16
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
What color mail polish matches?
Old 06-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #17
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
Funny story. I know I'm the oddball here, but, I really like the stock wheels compared to any aftermarket wheels that I've seen. I also don't trust hub centering rings, and I haven't found aftermarket wheels that don't have them.
Why don't you trust hub rings? It's not like they are bearing any load. I've used them on multiple cars without issues.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:11 AM   #18
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Why don't you trust hub rings? It's not like they are bearing any load. I've used them on multiple cars without issues.
I've heard too many problems with them. I've hear people say that they melted the plastic ones with the heat when tracking a car (easily avoidable by getting aluminum ones).
I have also heard that others had vibration problems with them.

Additionally, I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that they actually are load bearing. Don't they form a cone shape that centers the wheel on the hub? If so, once wheel bolts are tightened, I would imagine that the cone carries a little bit of force at least? The wheel bolts have the taper, which obviously positions the wheel, but then it seems to me that the full weight will rest on just the bolts, vs. being distributed over the bolts, and the hub. I don't know for sure, but if it didn't matter, why would OEM wheels sit on the hub that way?

I just figured that if I'm tracking the car, and putting excessive forces on the wheels/tires/hubs, I want to have the strongest and most solid connection.
I may be wrong about all of that, but I'm just trying to use logic.
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #19
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I've heard too many problems with them. I've hear people say that they melted the plastic ones with the heat when tracking a car (easily avoidable by getting aluminum ones).
I have also heard that others had vibration problems with them.

Additionally, I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that they actually are load bearing. Don't they form a cone shape that centers the wheel on the hub? If so, once wheel bolts are tightened, I would imagine that the cone carries a little bit of force at least? The wheel bolts have the taper, which obviously positions the wheel, but then it seems to me that the full weight will rest on just the bolts, vs. being distributed over the bolts, and the hub. I don't know for sure, but if it didn't matter, why would OEM wheels sit on the hub that way?

I just figured that if I'm tracking the car, and putting excessive forces on the wheels/tires/hubs, I want to have the strongest and most solid connection.
I may be wrong about all of that, but I'm just trying to use logic.
OEM wheels do, because they are designed for a specific application and made in the tens of thousands.

For aftermarket wheels, it's easier to make a larger bore and fill the space with a hub ring. Sure they could make a small bore and machine it out to each specific application, but you're adding a lot of cost and the need for inventory sitting around and have the machinery, or having to ship the wheel to a 3rd party for machining before being sold.

You technically don't even need hub rings as the lugs should center the wheel as it's tightened down. I always had issues getting it perfect that way, so I use hub rings to center the wheels on the studs/bolts. The hub isn't carrying any load after that, it's all in the bolts/studs.

Never had an issue with multiple wheels on multiple different vehicles. Don't know anyone who has either.

A lot of people will repeat things they've read with no personal experience because they think it makes them seem knowledgeable.