follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #43
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Yeah i forget its only a $25k car....and everybody has insurance....and things happen...
You say 25K but everyone I talk to thinks my car is worth more then that. I like to play a little game with people when they check out my car. When they ask me what it costs, I make them take a guess. So far these have been the guesses:

30K+
35K - happened 2 or 3 times now.
40K+

I had a father and son sitting in 2 lawn chair last weekend and I rolled up next to them on the grid waiting for my Autocross run. The son guessed 40K, the father guessed 50K. When I told him it was only 25K, he almost fell backwards out of the chair. The son then jumped in my car for a ride a long.

Back on topic - I've had similar experiences as you guys with my last 2 cars. On my first car (black 94 Integra 2 door) someone took out my front fender while I was in school and when I came out, I couldn't open the drivers door because the dent caused the front fender to block the door seem.

My Silver Audi was equally unlucky. I had the rear bumper repainted (I bought it used) and within 3 days of owning it, someone had hit the rear end with a crappy red taurus while parking. I had red scratches (from his paint) on the rear bumper but because he denied hitting me and I had no proof it was him, insurance did nothing for me.

Since my FR-S is my third car, I'm hoping third times the charm!! So far I've had it almost 6 weeks and no damage or dings so far! Like you guys though, I do have some scratches under the front lip but this is because I hit a few cones Autocrossing. It's not noticable at all unless your under the car.

I wish you guys all good luck from up north!

bneale
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #44
bneale

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
You can throw my car in there too, got hit by a truck two days ago minor damage to the passenger door and quarter panel. But they both need to be replaced completely.

I washed and waxed my car and took it for a spin, was pulling a left into a gas station. I thought the guy was letting me go since he was stopped at a stop light and he left a gap infront of him. His light turned green and I guess he didn't see me infront of him since he was so high up and just slowly pushed the door in. His truck had a scuff of red paint on it

Have to wait three weeks until the car is repaired

Sorry to hear about that man. I loved your colour when I saw it at F440 a few weeks ago. Really thats too bad.

I hope ICBC takes care of you and doesn't give you the shaft! I've never really had much luck with them. Make sure you get a really good autobody place to paint your car.

bneale
Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
termigni

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
Was some asian girl driving a 2012 sonata - guessing family bought her a new car
When I got hit by another girl, i didn't go around saying "some White girl hit my car".

mad racist here bro. at the end of the day, you are driving a japanese(Asian) car.

and you 100% sure her family bought her that car?

too bad that happened to you. buy American next time.

Last edited by termigni; 07-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
termigni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #46
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
When I got hit by another girl, i didn't go around saying "some White girl hit my car".

mad racist here bro. at the end of the day, you are driving a japanese car.

too bad that happened here. buy American next time.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #47
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
mad racist here bro. at the end of the day, you are driving a japanese(Asian) car.

and you 100% sure her family bought her that car?
It's not racist to say an asian person is an asian person. Sure, he could have just said a girl hit him, but it's not like he insulted her or used a racial slur. Calling him racist for something that isn't racist is just as bad as racism itself, and it's annoying. As for whether or not her family bought the car, he may not of have said it but maybe the girl was really young? Common misconception, but it's generally assumed young people driving brand new cars got them from their family. I can't say this is true because I don't know what the poster actually saw, but it's nice to give people the benefit of the doubt.

As for being on topic, all this curse stuff makes me nervous. I live in a subdivision with a ton of kids. I fear for the safety of my future FR-S, hopefully the curse will lift before I get it.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #48
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yormaX View Post
I love how everyone is paranoid about a 25k car. Pure lolz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not sure I understand your point. I've owned cars that have cost from $300 to $50,000 and I didn't want any of them scratched/dented/etc. I didn't particularly want to put a gun to someone's head if they were damaged, but I was never really "oh well" about it either.

Forget the fact that it's a 25K car. These are brand new cars and it seems as though the accidents were not the FR-S owners but rather the fault of other drivers.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #49
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
parts for these cars are very expensive, the door panel is $2,000 alone, quarter panel is $1800, and thats without labor. luckily insurance is going to take care of things
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #50
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
DAMN WTF!! It seems as though every other post is about a damaged FR-S.
I've got curb rash... Good thing new rims go on next week!
Curb rash from drifting, so its ok... Lol

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #51
jesseps

Garage
I nearly got into an accident, because some moron ran a red light and the prick gives me a dirty look. Even though my light flashing green to go.
jesseps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #52
termigni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
It's not racist to say an asian person is an asian person. Sure, he could have just said a girl hit him, but it's not like he insulted her or used a racial slur. Calling him racist for something that isn't racist is just as bad as racism itself, and it's annoying. As for whether or not her family bought the car, he may not of have said it but maybe the girl was really young? Common misconception, but it's generally assumed young people driving brand new cars got them from their family. I can't say this is true because I don't know what the poster actually saw, but it's nice to give people the benefit of the doubt.

As for being on topic, all this curse stuff makes me nervous. I live in a subdivision with a ton of kids. I fear for the safety of my future FR-S, hopefully the curse will lift before I get it.
Singling out a person by their racial profile is racist. call it a "girl". you really don't have to say "asian girl" or "white girl" or black girl" to tell a story about how your car got damaged in a forum like this.

Also you weren't even near the scene and you are defending the OP, and in the meanwhile you are the one saying "common misconception"? why not keep that misconception to yourself if you have no idea.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #53
termigni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseps View Post
I nearly got into an accident, because some moron ran a red light and the prick gives me a dirty look. Even though my light flashing green to go.
LOL that happens to me a lot. they the one who give me dirty looks when they ran the light.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #54
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Singling out a person by their racial profile is racist. call it a "girl". you really don't have to say "asian girl" or "white girl" or black girl" to tell a story about how your car got damaged in a forum like this.

Also you weren't even near the scene and you are defending the OP, and in the meanwhile you are the one saying "common misconception"? why not keep that misconception to yourself if you have no idea.
He didn't single her out by her racial profile.

He simply stated, factually, that the girl was Asian. He did not generalize about Asian people or girls at all.

He said that he assumed her parents bought her the car. That could be construed as ageist or racist, but he didn't really elaborate on it, as it wasn't a focus in the post.

Some folks are just overly sensitive about race.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #55
termigni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
He didn't single her out by her racial profile.

He simply stated, factually, that the girl was Asian. He did not generalize about Asian people or girls at all.

He said that he assumed her parents bought her the car. That could be construed as ageist or racist, but he didn't really elaborate on it, as it wasn't a focus in the post.

Some folks are just overly sensitive about race.
Let me ask you a question.

Is there a ANY NEED for the OP to state that the girl was Asian to tell his story?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Let me ask you a question.

Is there a ANY NEED for the OP to state that the girl was Asian to tell his story?
He was being descriptive. Throwing an adjective in there to provide extra detail.

I have no problem with it. Plenty people have talked about my race when describing people who've done all sorts of stupid things. Until he crosses a line and points out the stereotypes that your mind has inserted into his post, I don't see anything wrong with it.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadoquad For This Useful Post:
anteater86 (07-19-2012)