follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
bovined

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ having issues detecting key fob properly to start

I have been having this issue on and off over the last 2 years and its starting to get a bit ridiculous and wanted to see if anyone has a solution or workaround.

About 2 years ago my 2013 BRZ MT starting having issues seeing/detecting my keyfob in order to start the car. Both of my keyfobs have the same issue. I can unlock/lock doors fine with no issues and it gets within range and unlocks properly but when I go to start the car and hold in the clutch the key is simply not seen.

I replaced the batteries in each keyfob and it seemed to fix the issue at first then went back to the problem.

I replaced the main car battery and it seemed to fix it for a while and then went back to the problem.

I had to step on the clutch several times rapidly and it seemed to work for a while then stopped.

The most recent workaround is that I had to step on the clutch HARD down to the far as possible in one big motion and it seemed to work but again back to the same irritating symptom.

I tried holding the keyfob to the start button for 30 seconds while pushing in the clutch and only works once in a while.

Even the emergency backup method of switch ignition to ACC and hold both clutch and brake does not work reliably enough.

I have to constantly try a combination of all the methods above to get the car to finally start each day and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what is going on or how to fix.

What is the part that involves the clutch that allows the key to be detected properly if there is one? I seem to think its something to do with that or the locking solenoid? but I dont know how to troubleshoot that part as it never seems to involve the steering wheel lock.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions ahead of time!
bovined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
LordGutz

Drives: '13 BRZ
You most likely have an intermittent clutch switch. It is the switch that the clutch arm activates when you push in the clutch. Replace that switch and you should be good to go! IT is easy to find and do. Good Luck
LordGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The clutch has two switches. The one you need to look at is the top one. It may just need to be adjusted. Good luck!

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:38 AM   #4
bovined

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Okay I nearly broke my neck trying to replace this damn switch so I decided to just bypass it by connecting the switch permanently so I dont have to rely on a jank switch that could fail for any number of reasons at anytime.

it works perfectly but now I have a different issue and want to know if its harmful to do this bypass:

after a few days I now see that the keyfob indicator is blinking 15 times each time I get in the car now or even when I just open the door and the keyfobs are nowhere around. I checked both of my keyfob batts and they are both full charge so if thats the case why is the "low keyfob battery" indicator going off? I thought maybe because the car is still detecting one of the keyfobs but I removed the batts on both and its still doing that. Is the bypass putting the car in a looking for keyfob mode 24/7 now all the time right now and is this going to drain the main car battery? I really hate this goddamn switch.
bovined is offline   Reply With Quote