follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #29
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonarch View Post
Ding ding ding. Took an impact wrench to a drain plug, went *bzzzzzzzzzzt* a little too long, and now it's rounded.
So they used an impact to LOOSEN the bolt, and it didnt come loose,so it rounded just two of the corners.

So what torque was it tightened to that an IMPACT couldnt loosen it on the first try?
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #30
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It's clear that an impact was took to it with the socket probably half on or with an ill fitting sae. Either way, still horseshit when something as simple as an oil change can get fubared. This is something I would expect from Crappy Tire or a 16 year-old who just got their first car and is learning to wrench.

Anyways, I ended up ordering the Fumoto Valve. It's actually called the EZoildrain Valve here in Canada. I'll be looking forward to reviewing it.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #31
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is why I like doing my own oil changes because i know I'm doing it right and draining all the oil etc...people at the shops don't care...it's just a job to them....unfortunately we don't live in Japan where many places have a lot of passion.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
53Driver (03-24-2015), Clipdat (03-26-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #32
SubaruLifer

Drives: 2015 ISM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Mine actually a had a knurl imprint on 2 flats, obviously from a pair of ViceGrips! Had the dealership do the (free) service, and noticed oil spots on my driveway the next day. Took it to my local redneck garage. They had to use a breaker bar to get the oil plug out. Obviously, the dealership didn't bother to replace the washer, and tried to seal the drain by overtorquing the drain plug. New drain plug, new washer, installed by redneck garage, and all is OK.
I don't know if the FR-S/BRZ drain bolt is the same way since I used an extractor for my own oil change, but for my wife's past 2 Subaru Legacys, the original washer has been painted onto the drain bolt. I needed to use a screwdriver along with a surprising amount of effort to get that thing off, and I only discovered it wasn't part of the drain bolt itself because we got a slow drip after the first oil change on her first Legacy. Obviously I knew better when the second one came along.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #33
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I stopped going to the dealer after my second "free" change because they spilled oil all over the top of the engine and engine bay, didn't say anything about it, and didn't respond when I replied to their "how'd we do" email and survey with honest answers about how they did (they also took 6 hours instead of the quoted 2). There's still a few little puddles of oil on top of the engine where I can't get a rag in to suck them up.

So then I went to do the next change at home and found the drain plug was put on so damned tight, there was no way I could get it loose. I wound up damaging a socket AND rounding off the plug trying to get it off. I had to use vise grips and a hammer to get it to turn!

I had already gotten a Fumoto valve, which I installed as soon as I got the factory one out. The valve is awesome! I just slip a short piece of tubing on it and snake that into my drain pan.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cycleboy For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-08-2020)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #34
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
This is why I like doing my own oil changes because i know I'm doing it right and draining all the oil etc...people at the shops don't care...it's just a job to them....unfortunately we don't live in Japan where many places have a lot of passion.
This. It's actually sad so few people these days take pride in what they do. I've known some great mechanics in my life, but they are getting harder and harder to find these days. It's especially insulting when you go to a dealership these days and their labor rate is $75-100 an hour and you still can't trust them! I'm seriously considering getting my own lift installed in my garage just for this reason.
53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 53Driver For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-24-2015), AznBRZer (03-24-2015), chaoskaze (03-24-2015), Mr.Impreza (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #35
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Admittedly, after owning my 2013 FRS new since June of 2013, today was the first time I did an oil change by myself on the car.

I guess this gives me an excuse to get one of those Fumoto drain valve thingys.
that bolt is actually pretty soft and easy to strip, I never took an impact gun to mine and even using the right tool the corners were beginning to round. That was the main reason that i upgraded to a drain valve (one of the best "mods" i've put on the car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
That was caused by using an impact gun.
I would agree that an impact gun was used at one point. or the tech repeatedly tried to remove the bolt as if it was flat on the bottom of the drain pan and not at the slight angle its actually on and stripped it over several oil changes.

Quote:
Look, in all my years of wrenching, how the hell are you going to round that bolt? 14mm wrench, new crush washer, DONE! Even the 14mm drain bolt on my 3sgte from year 1996 doesn't look like what the monkey mechanics at Heffner did to my FRS. Terrible.
that bolt is just that soft, it takes very little effort to put marks in it and its very easy to mess it up with a moment of inattentiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Driver View Post
This. It's actually sad so few people these days take pride in what they do. I've known some great mechanics in my life, but they are getting harder and harder to find these days. It's especially insulting when you go to a dealership these days and their labor rate is $75-100 an hour and you still can't trust them! I'm seriously considering getting my own lift installed in my garage just for this reason.
x2, lift is in the long term plans so i can get off my back when working under the car.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #36
D88

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It's clear that an impact was took to it with the socket probably half on or with an ill fitting sae. Either way, still horseshit when something as simple as an oil change can get fubared. This is something I would expect from Crappy Tire or a 16 year-old who just got their first car and is learning to wrench.

Anyways, I ended up ordering the Fumoto Valve. It's actually called the EZoildrain Valve here in Canada. I'll be looking forward to reviewing it.
Did you send the picture to the dealership? It might be worthwhile to inform the dealership what their mechanics have been up to. It's probably due to shear laziness to be using an impact gun on an oil drain plug.
D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #37
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruLifer View Post
I don't know if the FR-S/BRZ drain bolt is the same way since I used an extractor for my own oil change, but for my wife's past 2 Subaru Legacys, the original washer has been painted onto the drain bolt. I needed to use a screwdriver along with a surprising amount of effort to get that thing off, and I only discovered it wasn't part of the drain bolt itself because we got a slow drip after the first oil change on her first Legacy. Obviously I knew better when the second one came along.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54142

The paint part is from the fact that the oil pan was painted after the drain bolt/washer was installed.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
SubaruLifer (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #38
BlackMonarch

Drives: Red BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
So they used an impact to LOOSEN the bolt, and it didnt come loose,so it rounded just two of the corners.

So what torque was it tightened to that an IMPACT couldnt loosen it on the first try?
I don't think they loosened it with one. I think some knuckle dragger put it back on with one.
BlackMonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #39
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonarch View Post
I don't think they loosened it with one. I think some knuckle dragger put it back on with one.
if you look at how the bolt is being stripped, its from loosening.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #40
BlackMonarch

Drives: Red BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
if you look at how the bolt is being stripped, its from loosening.
Props to you. I did not pay that much attention.
BlackMonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #41
Raven86WPB

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Raven (Stock)
Same exact situation from my car when I first got it at 48k miles, previous owner never touched it, seemed to have always been at dealers, bolt was entirely rounded...It took me multiple gimmicky "stripped-nut/bolt" remover solutions to get to my first oil change
Old 09-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #42
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
I stopped going to the dealer after my second "free" change because they spilled oil all over the top of the engine and engine bay, didn't say anything about it, and didn't respond when I replied to their "how'd we do" email and survey with honest answers about how they did (they also took 6 hours instead of the quoted 2). There's still a few little puddles of oil on top of the engine where I can't get a rag in to suck them up.

So then I went to do the next change at home and found the drain plug was put on so damned tight, there was no way I could get it loose. I wound up damaging a socket AND rounding off the plug trying to get it off. I had to use vise grips and a hammer to get it to turn!

I had already gotten a Fumoto valve, which I installed as soon as I got the factory one out. The valve is awesome! I just slip a short piece of tubing on it and snake that into my drain pan.

That’s F’ing unbelievable, and dealership techs did that!
I’ve actually found tools that were left behind by dealership techs, and just random stuff. I know it’s a tough job and they are working on lots of cars, but damn have a little more pride in your work. A good buddy of mine is a lifelong mechanic and he owns his own shop now. I know he would never dream of doing that kind of stuff. I’m always very skeptical of any dealership maintenance. The sad thing is most people don’t even look over the work, or even know what to look for. And some things are just blind faith if they have to replace something internal. I remember way back when the 1st gear synchro had to be replaced on my 2002 WRX. I asked to see the old one, just because I was curious. The service advisor was really cool and seemed like a car guy also, so he let me look at the parts they replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote