follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fluidampr also provided me the full 10 order summary vs. OE. I've attached a pic of it here, let me know your thoughts. It seems that from 4500 - 7500 RPM, the fluidampr purely by measure of RPM sweep, has more RPM below the OE than above it, and is much lower peak to peak (more smooth).

In general, it does look smoother, and probably why these tend to create a bit more power and torque, especially in the mid-range. Mine was no exception, it makes good torque. Regardless of the plot, it seems that a lightweight flywheel would benefit from a Fluidampr.

I asked about the peak at 6K, they replied:

"It is a 2.5 order. With off firing orders, you can see the excitation order move around depending on frequency shift (mainly due to increased hub inertia of the viscous damper over the rubber tuned part.) As long as the overall vibration level is maintained it should not pose any harm to the engine on off firing order conditions."

On full throttle upshifts on straights for example, I miss this because my RPM's are always around 6200-6300, but for other areas, where you sweep through that area, it's not really any worse than how the OE swings up really high at even higher RPM. I can't see a reason to remove it from my car, especially since I want to keep a LWFW for sprint racing purposes. If I was endurance racing, it might be different, but I'm racing it in 15-20 minute sprints, that's it, so the performance trade-off I feel is worth it, as long as the Fluidampr will protect it. Damn, I wish we had some vibration data with a LWFW!!!
Attached Images

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prandelia For This Useful Post:
Joveen (03-03-2020), jrhudson (05-13-2021), MJones_RB (10-15-2020), mrderp (08-27-2021), Walldodger (10-27-2020)