follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
If you haven't yet done so, this thread will tell you how to adjust your clutch pedal:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

If properly adjusted, the clutch pedal need not go all the way to the floor; it merely needs to go to the point where the clutch is completely disengaged. To be absolutely safe, you can press it to the floor, but (for example) it is not necessary in my car to do this.
Almost anyone that adjusts the clutch pedal is doing so to make the engagement point lower. Meaning that it is even more important to fully depress the clutch pedal to the floor.

Please don't encourage the OP or anyone for that matter to not fully press the clutch pedal down when changing gears. Especially with the OP being new to a standard gear box.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-17-2015), jawn (09-17-2015), Packofcrows (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #16
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Almost anyone that adjusts the clutch pedal is doing so to make the engagement point lower. Meaning that it is even more important to fully depress the clutch pedal to the floor.

Please don't encourage the OP or anyone for that matter to not fully press the clutch pedal down when changing gears. Especially with the OP being new to a standard gear box.
This.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Please, bro.

Let's not be ****holders here. It's perfectly acceptable to tell a newbie the reality of the situation.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Please, bro.

Let's not be ****holders here. It's perfectly acceptable to tell a newbie the reality of the situation.
Newbie or not.... Unless you're drag racing and trying to cut .05 seconds off your ET, there is no reason to not push the clutch pedal to the floor.

Plus our clutch pedals are so light that it takes little to no effort to push them to the floor.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #19
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Newbie or not.... Unless you're drag racing and trying to cut .05 seconds off your ET, there is no reason to not push the clutch pedal to the floor.

Plus our clutch pedals are so light that it takes little to no effort to push them to the floor.
It doesn't help the guy understand what's going on in there by omitting the info the dude was trying to explain.

It's obvious the OP does his homework and has a vested interest in knowing what's going on.

Therefore, your advice isn't very sound and that's specifically what I am underlining here. Let's let the dude fuck his clutch up a tiny bit faster than MBT, as long as he learns more from it, what's the big deal? He'll be more in tune with what is ACTUALLY going on. I've taught scores of people how to drive manual. I am one of the biggest advocates to this and I have a knack for teaching. I also don't accept pandering and political correctness- it's not the hardest concept of the world to figure out that the pedal only actuates a slave cylinder with a very tactile on/off biting point.

Clutches and clutch assembly items are wear items. Don't forget that.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I agree with everyone else, take it easy, you're not going to win anything by being able to shift 0.1 seconds sooner at the risk of grinding a gear or having to manhandle the gearbox to get there.

I disagree with everyone else on this: you're not going to blow up your clutch/tranny by not pushing the pedal all the way to the floor, I often don't because I'm comfortable with where it engages and confident that I'm not damaging anything, no grinding of gears or difficulty getting in and out.

Practice experiment and good luck.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #21
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
um wait what? Since when is this reasonable advice? There is absolutely no reason to push the pedal further than it takes to completely disengage the clutch. If you cannot feel where that position truly is, then push the pedal to the floor. But seriously, only on some newer modern vehicles is it even remotely hard to tell where the clutch disengages.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #22
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Not sure if serious....

O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
um wait what? Since when is this reasonable advice? There is absolutely no reason to push the pedal further than it takes to completely disengage the clutch. If you cannot feel where that position truly is, then push the pedal to the floor. But seriously, only on some newer modern vehicles is it even remotely hard to tell where the clutch disengages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #23
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Please master using your left foot before you concern yourself with extra footwork for your right... especially on public roads.

Whoever said fully depressing a clutch pedal is bad is about as stupid as the AAMCO rep telling me that it hurts the transmission to rest your hand on the shift knob.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #24
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma143 View Post
So you're saying I should press it all the way to the floor? I've had many people tell me that's bad for a clutch, especially when the clutch catches very high up, like in the BRZ....

Omg noob or Civic driver is blowing up in my head with that harmful to press full.

Clutch is meant to be pressed all in. Only times you dont is when you in uphill angle and nervous. In this case you balance car with clutch 1/2 and gas to prevent rollback action.

Youre new so feeling clutch lag is normal. Its issue with not balancing gas and clutch. Try it at 2k rpms and you wont feel lag. also, if you have issue with 2013, get ecu reflashed in case of rpm dip. Turn ac off until you l2drive.. engage clutch to gear in and out. If not, its like rubbing sand paper on clutch to force gear out. This can cause uneven wear and ruin your transmission eventually. But hey, its your car. If you burn clutch itll just be a quick $500 tops fix if you do yourself, or pay the mechanic $2500 if you know nothing of fixing clutches.

Maybe it needs clutch adjustment? I learned smooth shifting by driving from 1-3rd gear barefoot using just my toes. Try it out in safe area.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
Whoever said fully depressing a clutch pedal is bad is about as stupid as the AAMCO rep telling me that it hurts the transmission to rest your hand on the shift knob.
That was put out by the Car Talk guys many years ago, maybe plausible but not worth getting panties in a bunch.

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...on-the-shifter

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...-on-shift-knob
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
carma143 (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #26
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Not sure if serious....

O.o
Ah ya. Most cars you know exactly where the engagement point of the clutch is. Once the clutch is disengaged there is no reason to keep pressing it. It doesn't add safety or anything else. When the clutch is totally disengaged that is it, there is nothing else to do. That is literally what the clutch pedal is meant to do.

Now if you are a new driver, or are unsure, or just think it is a good idea, pushing the pedal to the floor will not harm the car, but it is never necessary and never has been.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #27
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
That was put out by the Car Talk guys many years ago, maybe plausible but not worth getting panties in a bunch.

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...on-the-shifter

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...-on-shift-knob
True that actually... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=87082&page=2

But overall, i guess i should put that more accurately in the context of owning the car for a short term and already getting grinding.

A fun story: I brought my dad's truck into an AAMCO for a trans rebuild at his request. After i picked up the truck and drove straight to his house (less than 10 miles), there was fluid leaking. Brought it back and the first question the guy asked me was if i rested my hand on the shifter. I wanted to punch him in the face...
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
carma143 (09-17-2015), Packofcrows (09-17-2015), strat61caster (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #28
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It happens about once a month to me and I probably shift gears 5000 times a month in the BRZ. If it is my fault, and in truth it probably is, I'm alright with it. It's not like I'm constantly hearing grinding sounds and screwing up my shifting

Edit: Now that I remember I made a similar thread awhile back and some people also seemed to think I was screwing up my shifts alot even though I wrote it rarely happened. But as always, tips and general sharing of knowledge are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by carma143; 09-17-2015 at 11:15 PM.
carma143 is offline   Reply With Quote