follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
theredtape

Drives: civic,vfr,BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ's very poor reception

Hey guys my stock head unit really sucks when it comes to reception. I had just blamed it on living in the "sticks" but I was on the highway and in the city yesterday and it was as bad as ever.

Two different things are happening. In FM mode the connection to the station will bounce between hd radio and regular stereo mode which makes a noticeable change in sound quality. This is a minor annoyance and I know I can turn off the hd radio but now that I know how good it sounds compared to the regular radio I don't want to go back. I just wish my new car would function as well as the single din head unit I installed in my old car.

The other problem is in sat mode. Some times it works perfect and some times it almost doesn't work at all. It just cuts out all the time. I was driving for 10 minutes and during that every 5 or so seconds the radio would go static for a second or two. It doesn't just go quite while it try's to reconnect either, it makes that sound like when the cable use to go out on CRT televisions(remember the snowy TVs!). One second I am listening to some decent sounding sat radio and the next PPPPSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTT(thats the sound :p).

I know other people are having issues with reception, anyone find any good ways to increase reception? Is this something I should hound the dealer about? The thought of a tech ripping off my dash covers to fix my radio on my other wise awesome car upsets me a little...
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
brad fischer

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Blue Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My new BRZ has poor FM and NO AM reception. Is this common? I have the base car "premium'' so I don't think it has HD radio? Anyone found a way to improve reception? I unscrewed the little antenna and it made no difference at all to the weak FM signal, on my best station I get 0 to 1 bar on the signal strength Icon.

Last edited by brad fischer; 10-05-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo
brad fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Please buy a mini USB drive and get with the times

Otherwise if it always has bad reception take it to a dealer

I have no idea of my radio reception I only use it once in a while to check traffic and the AM works fine
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
brad fischer

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Blue Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The antenna wire behind the stereo was not fully connected. Now my AM and FM works well with 4 bars of signal strength.
brad fischer is offline   Reply With Quote