follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Salvage Title Car Question

I was perusing the Internet want ads looking at cars I might want to own but can't afford as I'm like to do on occasion when I noticed some dealers, particularly on eBay but show up in other sites as well, that offer savage cars that had "light damage" and were repaired then offered for sale at a step discount.

For example, there was a 2019 CTS-V Carbon Black that supposedly had only the driver's side door replaced. Now, I always assumed a salvage title car had been totaled. There is no way a $90,000 car was totaled if all it needed was a door replacement.

When I contacted the seller, who has sold well over a thousand cars on eBay and has a good rating he said "A lot of people don’t like to fix their cars so they get paid in full from insurance.. that’s why has been in total loss because paid in full". He also sent me the "before" and "after" photos that showed the passenger door pretty well pushed in but no a lot of other damage (I'm guessing the airbags went off as well from the side impact)

Really? Is that an option in some states (this guy is in Michigan)? Just curious more than anything. I'm chalking this up to the too good to be true category but wanted to see.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,176 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like he wanted a new car and has a fiend in the "Adjustment Bureau".
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
They only had to replace the door after they fished it out of the lake.
WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildCard600 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
That's likely the case.
Or...... some one must have had explosive diarrhea inside the car. Yeah you can hose it off but, it would always smell like shit.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2020), DarkPira7e (07-30-2020), WildCard600 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
depends on a lot of factors, but in my looking into it, i've found that many of the sellers gloss over facts, or use subpar parts to undercut the repair quote to make it worthwhile. high-dollar cars generally fall into this category, but if you're looking for a cheap runabout type car, they're generally less problematic with branded titles, as they had a low threshold to total loss status in the first place.

sure, it might have been 'just' a door, but if any of the door structure was compromised, it's possible that the insurance totalled it because they didn't want the liability of the structural reinforcement repair. airbag deployment definitely adds up liability and repair costs as well..

there are cases where salvage titled vehicles are entirely possible to repair safely and reliably, but it can take some careful inspections to be sure that it's done that way. imo, they require more due diligence than most other used cars, but on the other side, branded title vehicles are better in some ways that the damage incurred has a note on it.

this touches on some of those things, where people learned to trust the carfax, but then bought cars that didn't have a complete history:
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/trus...8#.UbOr4_nrxyU

primarily, it comes down to the state insurance regulations-- depending on where the original accident/claim is made, the percentage that hits total loss status can be anywhere from 40%-80% of the current vehicle price. so a $10,000 car getting dinged in a parking lot could very easily be totalled with $5k worth of a replacement bumper cover, a fender, some paint work, and the labor to install it all. some guy buys the car back, does the all the labor for 'free', maybe pulls a favor for the paint work, and suddenly an official estimate of $5k of work becomes $1500 in parts...
Dadhawk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Full of shit. My 16 CTS-V didn't even total when I was side swipped. Both doors and the front rh fender were replaced. The rear qtr was repaired and both bumpers blended. Front door was used and the rest were new oem parts. Most of the hit was the rear door, no airbags popped. Tri-coat candy red paint $$$ too. The car only hit 56% of its AVSC total value.

It isn't unheard of to have an adjuster over write a tad to total a car at a customers plea. However they are only capable of fudging a few grand not 20k+. Sometimes they do this on collector cars after the owner fights for value depreciation due to the wreck. This car shouldn't fit the bill though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Full of shit. My 16 CTS-V didn't even total when I was side swipped. Both doors and the front rh fender were replaced. The rear qtr was repaired and both bumpers blended. Front door was used and the rest were new oem parts. Most of the hit was the rear door, no airbags popped. Tri-coat candy red paint $$$ too. The car only hit 56% of its AVSC total value.
Yep, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

I wasn't really interested in purchasing this specific car, it just struck me as "too good to be true". Frankly the list price wasn't anything to make me want to even consider a repaired car anyway, plus it was black, not a fan.

Now I'd love to own a 16 CTS-V Carbon Black in Red Obsession. Everytime I see one advertised I can feel the money leaving my bank account.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
So a $10,000 car getting dinged in a parking lot could very easily be totalled with $5k worth of a replacement bumper cover, a fender, some paint work, and the labor to install it all. some guy buys the car back, does the all the labor for 'free', maybe pulls a favor for the paint work, and suddenly an official estimate of $5k of work becomes $1500 in parts...
Yea absolutely on low end cars. My son's first car was a well used Volvo C60. Ran and looked great but it was 15 years old. He was rear-ended with only damage to the trunk lid and rear bumper, no structural damage. But, it was a $3K of repairs on a $5K car, according to insurance so it was totalled. We ended up making money on the deal because the insurance company gave a 10% bump for a totaled vehicle which resulted in us getting back more than we paid for the car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,224 Times in 7,328 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Possibly stolen? My buddy bought a branded forester for his wife that was stolen, and a front control arm and fender replaced. I think if it is missing long enough and the owner is paid out it is branded.
Dadhawk (07-31-2020), soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Possibly stolen? My buddy bought a branded forester for his wife that was stolen, and a front control arm and fender replaced. I think if it is missing long enough and the owner is paid out it is branded.
Odd, it would never occur to me that a stolen car would get branded. For that matter a repairable car. If the car was stolen and recovered it would just be a transfer of title to the insurance company and they could resell it, particularly with no damage.

But then again, I'm using common sense and not law there.

Same thing to me would apply to what the vendor I talked to said. If car can be repaired to "like new" for a price that makes it marketable, should it really be a "branded" car? If the original owner repaired it, sure the CARFAX wouldn't be clean but it wouldn't be branded.

Not sure I see the difference.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #11
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
That actually occurred to me but the vendor (who apparently specializes in these type of flips) had listings that specifically said the car had been recovered from flood, stripped, cleaned, inspected, etc, and they all come with a (albeight short) warranty. This included replacing all the carpets and seat covers.

None of the cars were submerged, as a"flood car" is any car where water reaches floor level.

Again, wouldn't buy it myself without some tremendous discount (like 50% off regular used price) but I've personally owned cars that had that much water in them because of stupid teenage tricks and, in the short term at least, they were fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
rande

Drives: Spyder, MR2, FRS, Tundra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Odd, it would never occur to me that a stolen car would get branded. For that matter a repairable car. If the car was stolen and recovered it would just be a transfer of title to the insurance company and they could resell it, particularly with no damage.

But then again, I'm using common sense and not law there.

Same thing to me would apply to what the vendor I talked to said. If car can be repaired to "like new" for a price that makes it marketable, should it really be a "branded" car? If the original owner repaired it, sure the CARFAX wouldn't be clean but it wouldn't be branded.

Not sure I see the difference.
Generally, if the insurance company pays out the total value of a vehicle then they brand it as totaled/salvage/etc. Doesn't really matter the reason just the fact that they paid out.

Also note that some insurance companies will not insure salvage/prior salvage vehicles even if they are repaired. They don't want the liability that something wasn't repaired correctly. For the insurance companies that will insure them they usually charge the same as a non-salvaged vehicle. But, if you have a claim, they can say the vehicle isn't worth the same as a non-salvaged vehicle and will use that as an excuse to pay you less.
rande is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rande For This Useful Post:
Atmo (08-01-2020), Dadhawk (07-31-2020), soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I was perusing the Internet want ads looking at cars I might want to own but can't afford as I'm like to do on occasion when I noticed some dealers, particularly on eBay but show up in other sites as well, that offer savage cars that had "light damage" and were repaired then offered for sale at a step discount.

For example, there was a 2019 CTS-V Carbon Black that supposedly had only the driver's side door replaced. Now, I always assumed a salvage title car had been totaled. There is no way a $90,000 car was totaled if all it needed was a door replacement.

When I contacted the seller, who has sold well over a thousand cars on eBay and has a good rating he said "A lot of people don’t like to fix their cars so they get paid in full from insurance.. that’s why has been in total loss because paid in full". He also sent me the "before" and "after" photos that showed the passenger door pretty well pushed in but no a lot of other damage (I'm guessing the airbags went off as well from the side impact)

Really? Is that an option in some states (this guy is in Michigan)? Just curious more than anything. I'm chalking this up to the too good to be true category but wanted to see.
Edit: just saw you were looking at a black one so not this car, but if you have a link to the car you were looking at post it so we can look at it too.. but for the purposes of this thread i'll leave my reply...........

This car?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Cadill...%7C1000%7C2500

If so this should match the before pics..
https://en.bidfax.info/cadillac/cts-...0k0146131.html

Anyways, that car needs a door, glass, airbags, airbag computer, potentially seatbelts, some GMs won't run after an airbag popped but that auction said it started soo.. there's also possibly roof and qtr damage and there is undercarriage damage as well.

Also going to need work to the door frame which is EXPENSIVE to do correctly. The auction estimated that as a near $45k fix.

Keep in mind insurance companies will NOT take a chance with airbags. They won't put used parts in and restitch a seat. They will replace the entire seat. They won't reprogram the SRS module for $45 bucks, they will put in a new SRS module. Wiring often burns from an airbag deployment and while cutting/soldering new ends on is easy insurance companies again will not want to do that because it's a liability for them down the road.

And all that is how an expensive car gets totalled for something that would have cost a couple grand to fix on a car from the 90s.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2020), soundman98 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post

It isn't unheard of to have an adjuster over write a tad to total a car at a customers plea. However they are only capable of fudging a few grand not 20k+. Sometimes they do this on collector cars after the owner fights for value depreciation due to the wreck. This car shouldn't fit the bill though.
Bolded the VERY critical part of your post...
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
WildCard600 (07-31-2020)