follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #43
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Meh. Buying a salvage title is probably the worst choice of all.
I understand that opinion. I used to hold it myself.

I don't hold that opinion anymore obviously. It all depends on the damage and how it was repaired. I would not buy a car where the extent of the damage isn't being disclosed/etc. Cars with minor damage are so easy to repair CORRECTLY that it's kind of silly to just ignore them out of hand IMO.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
phm14 (05-14-2020), soundman98 (05-13-2020), Tcoat (05-13-2020), why? (05-15-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I understand that opinion. I used to hold it myself.

I don't hold that opinion anymore obviously. It all depends on the damage and how it was repaired. I would not buy a car where the extent of the damage isn't being disclosed/etc. Cars with minor damage are so easy to repair CORRECTLY that it's kind of silly to just ignore them out of hand IMO.
The exact same statements can be applied to the high mileage well used cars though. Mileage is not a good indication of condition. If it is easy to fix damaged cars it is just as easy to replace worn parts.

For the record I have no objection to a well done rebuild either but in the order of value it really is the worst option for many people.
Dadhawk (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #45
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
The exact same statements can be applied to the high mileage well used cars though. Mileage is not a good indication of condition. If it is easy to fix damaged cars it is just as easy to replace worn parts.

For the record I have no objection to a well done rebuild either but in the order of value it really is the worst option for many people.
Well I have bought a car with 225k on the chassis in Portland, OR and drove it back to Tampa, FL soooo I might not be the best one to listen to in general! haha (and that car is still worth more than all my 86s... )

But what makes it a bad value? If you can get the car for 30-40% less than a clean title example, with the understanding that it'll always be 30-40% less valuable, then you can get a better car for less. I don't mean one that has had two cars welded into one, like so many Miami FL rebuilds are known for, but one that just needs a few front end parts etc?

The worst part of it's value is insurance. It costs the same but pays out less. That part does suck - no question. That's why I self insure comp/collision on mine......

But to put it this way, would you buy a lightly hit but fixed (with documented repairs/parts/etc) car with 60k miles or clean title example with 120k for the same price? Assume both are maintained, etc.

But whatever I have both a clean title AND a rebuilt title car for sale for the OP!!! hahaha
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-13-2020), why? (05-15-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #46
JosephV

Drives: 96 4runner but going to buy an frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I have bought a car with 225k on the chassis in Portland, OR and drove it back to Tampa, FL soooo I might not be the best one to listen to in general! haha (and that car is still worth more than all my 86s... )

But what makes it a bad value? If you can get the car for 30-40% less than a clean title example, with the understanding that it'll always be 30-40% less valuable, then you can get a better car for less. I don't mean one that has had two cars welded into one, like so many Miami FL rebuilds are known for, but one that just needs a few front end parts etc?

The worst part of it's value is insurance. It costs the same but pays out less. That part does suck - no question. That's why I self insure comp/collision on mine......

But to put it this way, would you buy a lightly hit but fixed (with documented repairs/parts/etc) car with 60k miles or clean title example with 120k for the same price? Assume both are maintained, etc.

But whatever I have both a clean title AND a rebuilt title car for sale for the OP!!! hahaha
Thanks dude, but still kinda far for me lol
JosephV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #47
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Buy one with the fewest mods on it in the newest model year you can find. Buy the manual version, and wait to see if you get bored.

If you aren't even sure if you want standard or auto, you definitely won't mind the features the newer car brings.
As someone who was bit in the ass, do not buy a salvage 2013. If it's affected by the recall and you decide to take it in, you will most likely get burned somehow.

My car is a flood car and I bought it in 2015 for $11,500. I love it, but I also prefer the "less is more". Seat heaters, push button start, knee pads, steering wheel controls? That's just stuff that gets in the way of me taking the interior apart and putting it back in. I use the mirrors for driving backwards and can reach to adjust volume if I want.

As I said initially; buy the newest model year in your flavor of choice within your budget, and buy a manual.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I didn't say it was bad value I said it was the worst option in the value chain. You yourself explained why. I was not speaking to quality.

I would buy the clean title car wit the assumption that they are the same quality. Mileage is the last consideration in my list. There are some great 100K cars and some beat to shit 10K ones.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #49
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Man I'd MUCH rather replace an engine or trans than deal with a rusty car.

Then again we can pull two motors out of these and install the good one back in the good car in less than 4 hours soooo..
For most people, suspension work,brakes, and minor cosmetic work is easy to do at home. Let’s be honest most people are not pulling a motor and trans at home. They are paying for it. Paying for some rust is much cheaper than engine/tranny work.

Plus you can live for awhile with a bit of rust, but you can’t drive the car with a blown engine or tranny.

Clearly it’s different for different people, neither are wrong, one size does not fit all.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #50
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
For most people, suspension work,brakes, and minor cosmetic work is easy to do at home. Let’s be honest most people are not pulling a motor and trans at home. They are paying for it. Paying for some rust is much cheaper than engine/tranny work.

Plus you can live for awhile with a bit of rust, but you can’t drive the car with a blown engine or tranny.

Clearly it’s different for different people, neither are wrong, one size does not fit all.
Or you northerners just expect it. Rust is shit here in the south. Makes a car worthless
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
why? (05-15-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #51
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
I didn't say it was bad value I said it was the worst option in the value chain. You yourself explained why. I was not speaking to quality.

I would buy the clean title car wit the assumption that they are the same quality. Mileage is the last consideration in my list. There are some great 100K cars and some beat to shit 10K ones.
But paying 30-40% less for something WORTH 30-40% less isn't a bad value *except* when insurance is concerned (you didn't bold that part ).

It depends on what you personally value. Do you value words on a title? Or do you value performance per $? Depending on that it either makes a well rebuilt vehicle more valuable TO YOU or it makes it worthless. In the true "rebuilt is shit" camp there is no such thing as a good rebuilt car

For my case, my red FRS hail damaged failed 2013 recall car is a *great value*. I get every bit of performance and enjoyment out of it for less than 6 grand. It's a 27K chassis. With a 40k engine. I couldn't touch a clean title version of that for less than 6k. That makes it an INSANE value for me. All in, with ACE shit, brakes, 2 way dampers, 3 sets of wheels, r comps, blah blah blah I'm maybe 11k into the thing at the moment. And when I smash it into a wall at the track.. WGAF...

I realize this is kind of a pointless conversation since I buy them wrecked and fix them myself and all........ my only point is that a rebuilt title doesn't represent bad value to ALL owners.. just those that need to pay full insurance costs for a car that the ins co pays out less for. But really, that's built into the purchase price so it shouldn't be a surprise. Still, over several years, that $ in ins premiums can eat into that. I get it - just expect it.

FWIW though I insured my 2015 BRZ at full value after insurance inspected it and previous damage. Granted I never made a claim but they recorded the cars condition and saw no reason to screw me. I did cancel comp/collision since the BRZ was about 2x as much to insure as my 650hp Camaro lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-14-2020), why? (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #52
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,202 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I personally just dont want to buy something that was previously broken.
especially if im dropping thousands and thousands of dollars for it.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #53
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I personally just dont want to buy something that was previously broken.
especially if im dropping thousands and thousands of dollars for it.
You tend to pay less when things are broken. Bald tires, spent brakes, shot suspensions all will decrease the value of the car. Who pays a lot for a car with a broken engine or tranny. Deals are out there when things are broken, especially if what’s broken would be removed and trashed for upgraded parts.

For the twins, how many perfect condition stock wheels, tires and exhaust components are for sale at cheap prices because no one wants them because they all upgrade those parts. I see no reason in picking a car that has the most perfect stock parts that you plan on trashing anyway.

In fact it would be great if Subaru would offer a cheaper BRZ without wheels, brakes, tires, stock intake filters, and exhaust. Then I could put my money right into the upgraded parts. My shed has a ton of my stock parts from an 04 WRX and 16 BRZ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-14-2020), why? (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #54
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
In fact it would be great if Subaru would offer a cheaper BRZ without wheels, brakes, tires, stock intake filters, and exhaust. Then I could put my money right into the upgraded parts. My shed has a ton of my stock parts from an 04 WRX and 16 BRZ.
https://www.motor1.com/news/29852/to...-released-jdm/

Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #55
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I saw this. That’s why I said it. It’s a good idea for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (05-14-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #56
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorta.. I try to buy the nicest one I can find in my budget regardless of my intentions. Just because I want to mod something doesn't mean I want to start off with a high mileage well worn POS.

Not necessarily a pos, but you can find inexpensive vehicles in pretty good condition. I mean there seem to be tons of 2013 frs out there with less than 50k miles. I bought at the high end of the spectrum, and now realize it was a dumb idea because most of my interior is out and I still want to go lighter. Live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniloneil8 View Post
This is bad advice. Just because you plan to mod, it does not mean to buy a neglected or abused car that has been maintained poorly.

A 2013 will be worth less than a 2016 no matter what the condition of either car. There are plenty of low mileage 2013 in decent shape. As long as you are willing to hunt around and travel a bit you should be able to find one. I would rather pay $12k for a 2013 frs in decent to good condition than $20,000 plus for any of these cars with all the bells and whistles. I bought the one with the most bells and whistles at the time I was buying. It sucks to realize that most of them are lying in my apartment because the car is much more fun without an interior. Push button start is totally annoying in many ways. Key less is nice until the battery dies and leaves you stranded who knows where.Having a blue interior instead of the red is wonderful, except at this point I want to remove almost everything with that blue, so what's the point?

Buying a car for the intentions you are going to use it for is a much better idea. Hell, I'd take a look at the rebuilds @Dave-ROR does because I am sure they are repaired correctly before buying a newer car if I was going to do it again.

Now if you are like @Tcoat then absolutely buy the newest best car you can afford. From what he says the newer cars are better in every way.

Funny in how that is exactly what I said in fewer words.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote