follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Scalar Performance SCR1 is a fully electric racecar based on the Toyota GR86

The Scalar Performance SCR1 is the first all-electric amateur touring race car. With a bespoke powertrain designed for the rigors of racing, it is the first club racing electric vehicle approved by the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) for touring car road racing.

The SCR1 has been engineered to provide its driver with the same feeling of a mid-engine gas powered race car, while adding new technologies and the exhilarating torque of an electric powered car for an overall improved racing experience. Applying a user-centered design (UCD) process, the SCR1 was built to provide drivers with the best all-electric amateur sport club race car.

Modernizing club sport amateur racing by providing race car owners with new technologies was the driving force behind the engineering of the Scalar Performance SCR1. Technologies such as continuous real time telemetry, high resolution GPS, powertrain metrics and driver behavior data used by professional racing teams are available on the SCR1.

The maintenance of the SCR1 is very minimal, allowing drivers to spend their race weekends racing. Another driver-centered way of improving racing experience for race car owner.

Safety remains the priority in the continuous development of this race car. Our mantra is protect the driver, protect the track, protect the car. A large number of safety systems have been put in place inside the SCR1 that meets and exceeds all FIA safety requirements for electric vehicles, making it a very safe race car to drive and own.

The SCR1 Founder Edition will be limited to 10 vehicles which are scheduled to hit the race track in 2023.

SCR1 FAST FACTS Ownership Benefits
- First all-electric amateur touring race car
- Bespoke electric power train designed for racing
- Approved for competition in the NASA Super Touring Series
- Minimal scheduled maintenance (no engine, no transmission)
- Industry leading safety features
- Equipped with racing technologies such as advanced telemetry and driver data acquisition

Founders Limited Edition
- Unique opportunity to become a pioneer and define the future of EV racing
- Direct support from vehicle engineering team
- Secure over-the-air updates included
- No additional cost for hardware and/or software upgrades from Founder Limited Edition to Gen2
race car
- SCR1 Founder Limited Edition Plaque – “1 of 10 - Made for Your Name”
- Paint to sample roll cage

Performance
- Top Speed: 165mph / 267 kph
- Estimated 0-60 mph: 3.9s
- Power: 245kW continuous (328hp equivalent)
- Torque: 345 lb-ft

Scalar Performance,
- Race Time: 45min +
- Recharge Time : less than 20min (Level 3 - 150kW)
- Industry leading battery management, which means you get every minute of racing possible out of the 65kWh battery pack
- Curb Weight: 3,040 lbs
- Weight Distribution: similar to mid-engine race car
- Suspension: bespoke suspension developed by Φhlins
- Brakes: six piston front calipers and four piston rear calipers

Powertrain
- 800-volt Stealth EV motor by Hypercraft
- 65kWh custom battery pack specially designed for motorsport
- Level 2 and Level 3 DC fast charging capabilities
- Single Motor Rear-Wheel Drive (RWD) configuration
- Ettractive 5.19:1 Gear Reduction with straight cut gears for added durability and sound
- Torsen (Torque Sensing) limited-slip differential

Safety Features
- Meets and exceeds FIA safety requirements (Appendix J, Section 18. Requirements for Electrically Powered Vehicles)
- Industry leading thermal management and runaway prevention, making it one of the safest battery electric vehicles (BEV) ever built
- Lifeline fire suppression system with Novec 1230 integrated through the battery pack, another industry first
- Eight-point VR3 Engineering roll cage, designed for increased strength and rapid ingress/egress
- Safecraft Racing FIA six-point safety harness, custom SFI safety racing net (windows) and tow strap

To learn more and join our newsletter:
www.ScalarPerformance.com

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
AgentBlue243 (11-02-2022), Dzmitry (11-02-2022), gymratter (11-03-2022), Lantanafrs2 (11-01-2022), pope (11-02-2022), whataboutbob (01-12-2024)
Old 11-02-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scalar Performance GR86

Really should be Scalar Performance "GR86"

Hadn't heard about this one. Can any of our Canadian friends vouch for this company? Or will it end up being vaporware?

https://www.theautopian.com/a-small-...r-touring-car/

Oh look, another rando tuner GR86.. wait.. whaaa

fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-03-2022), gymratter (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Just an 86 shell on an EV. Should not have the GR name even attached to it.
x808drifter (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Just an 86 shell on an EV. Should not have the GR name even attached to it.
Is it? If it were a dedicated EV chassis, I would expect to see a skateboard style chassis with a flat floor battery pack.

To me, the photo makes it look like the battery starts in the engine bay and runs (mostly) vertical down the centerline of the car. From the photos it looks more like conversion on the existing chassis to me..

Curious to know either way..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Is it? If it were a dedicated EV chassis, I would expect to see a skateboard style chassis with a flat floor battery pack.

To me, the photo makes it look like the battery starts in the engine bay and runs (mostly) vertical down the centerline of the car. From the photos it looks more like conversion on the existing chassis to me..

Curious to know either way..
That chassis, although it most certainly uses the base, will be extensively changed. Not just a matter of bolting in a battery and motor and calling it a day.
They explain in the write up that the battery is long and skinny to keep the seating position low. Using a "normal" EV chassis would not do that.

So how many here will run out and buy one?
"Introduced at the 2022 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Scalar Performance is now accepting applications for those who'd like to get their hands on one of the ten serialized Founders Limited Edition. The price tag is $210,000."
soundman98 (12-11-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #6
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Quote:
That chassis, although it most certainly uses the base, will be extensively changed.
Well sure it is going to require extensive modification. I guess I misunderstood your statement 'Just an 86 shell on an EV'. To me that suggests a NASCAR like body that looks like an 86 over a completely different chassis, which does not appear to be the case to me.

Quote:
So how many here will run out and buy one?
"Introduced at the 2022 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Scalar Performance is now accepting applications for those who'd like to get their hands on one of the ten serialized Founders Limited Edition. The price tag is $210,000."
Not I, and probably not many around here, but $210K for a race car isn't exactly considered ultra expensive. And after the 'launch editions', prices may actually be lower?

Sadly, it is not even 'ultra expensive' for a street car these days. But that is a different conversation..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Well sure it is going to require extensive modification. I guess I misunderstood your statement 'Just an 86 shell on an EV'. To me that suggests a NASCAR like body that looks like an 86 over a completely different chassis, which does not appear to be the case to me.

Not I, and probably not many around here, but $210K for a race car isn't exactly considered ultra expensive. And after the 'launch editions', prices may actually be lower?

Sadly, it is not even 'ultra expensive' for a street car these days. But that is a different conversation..
Ya by "Shell" I meant it looks like an 86 but there will be very little left that makes an 86 an 86. Maybe I am waxing a little philosophical there more than being literal.

Yes many race cars will cost you much much more but since this is (at this point at least) only approved in the NASA Super Touring category it is a shit ton of money!
Attached Images

fredzy (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
fredzy
Mebmer

I don't think they mention Toyota anywhere in their PR materials. It's actually called the SCR1. I imagine Toyota has some conflicted feelings about it. They should be at least a little bit curious. Whether it fails or is a big hit, and no matter how formally everyone makes clear there is no association between the companies - the association will be made.

With the battery capacity, power and range I was pretty shocked to see the weight is only about 200lb more than the standard car. Looks like it would be rear heavy. Their website says "Weight Distribution: similar to mid-engine race car" ha. It'll be fast for sure.

Consider that the similarly factory race-prepped 86 cup race car is like $125k and $200k doesn't look quite as absurd. This can run in multiple competition classes too, not just a spec class. If they actually ship some of these I could see it shaking things up a little.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #9
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Someone posted a ton of details here -

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151744
Old 11-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #10
fredzy
Mebmer

Not sure how I missed that.. dumb
Old 11-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #11
raisingAnarchy

Drives: '20 Tundra, '84 SpecE30
The most expensive way to fix the RTV issue and standard boxer engine woes haha (oil pressure in corners, etc)
raisingAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raisingAnarchy For This Useful Post:
Dake (12-12-2022), fredzy (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
The most expensive way to fix the RTV issue and standard boxer engine woes haha (oil pressure in corners, etc)
Yes! I was going to say, how does this modification stack up to a K-swap, difficulty wise
Old 12-06-2022, 06:38 PM   #13
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
They have two shops...one in Toronto, and one in Belleville. I am local to the Belleville one. If anyone has any questions, I can pass them on to Joel (the guy on the left in the above video). We spoke the other day, and he'd be happy to answer.
I got to have a look at the SEMA cars shortly after they got back (nice work, by the way), but wanted to speak to Joel before posting.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #14
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ya by "Shell" I meant it looks like an 86 but there will be very little left that makes an 86 an 86. Maybe I am waxing a little philosophical there more than being literal.

Yes many race cars will cost you much much more but since this is (at this point at least) only approved in the NASA Super Touring category it is a shit ton of money!
I just got back from PRI where I saw this car in person. Me and the other guys in/from my shop talked with the Scalar team for a while about this project. There is a lot of "86" left in this chassis. More than you would think. But like with any conversion of course there has to be some changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
With the battery capacity, power and range I was pretty shocked to see the weight is only about 200lb more than the standard car. Looks like it would be rear heavy. Their website says "Weight Distribution: similar to mid-engine race car" ha. It'll be fast for sure.
We asked about this and the weight distribution was a very conscious subject during the build. And yeah, 200lb more than a regular 2nd Gen isn't too bad for the power you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Consider that the similarly factory race-prepped 86 cup race car is like $125k and $200k doesn't look quite as absurd. This can run in multiple competition classes too, not just a spec class. If they actually ship some of these I could see it shaking things up a little.
Yup! Racing's not cheap! lol
Attached Images

Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (12-20-2022), fredzy (12-11-2022), Tcoat (12-12-2022)