follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 02-01-2016, 02:56 AM   #701
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Is the MAF/MAP loom good? I've seen that before create some weird issues on a Sprintex car here. Might be worth checking logs for MAF voltage or MAP voltage.

Are you sure it was damaged? ECUtek can normally recover this kind of situation.

Thanks for the tip. I've logged tons and tons and sent to Edelbrock and looked myself. All the values look correct/reasonable. I seem to be having issues at about < 3500 RPM and around 2psi of boost/load. I thought we had it fixed after the fourth tune, it drove great the first time, but the second drive it was just as bad as ever. Didn't have any issues prior to install. still searching..... car is not really daily drivable until I get it solved unfortunately. Interestingly enough, another person in my region has the same exact issue, he tried a Delicious tune and the problem persisted. We're beginning to wonder if it's something wrong with something in some of the kits... There is not clear evidence of anything really yet.. except that it's running crazy rich at the problem area and we can't seem to stop it from happening.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
djdnz (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #702
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
I read in another thread ECUTek was able to recover their ECU after something similar happened... might save the cost of a new ECU?
The guys will be back on it today. Pretty hard to get any outside help at 9pm on a friday night.

My advise, never do up grades on a friday.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Freeman (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #703
Ryan5x

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
What dyno were you using? Is that the stock CARB tune?

Are you just slowly building up the car, like the headers and a front pipe? I'm asking all these questions because I'm assuming aside from the SC you're stock lol oh man those numbers broke my heart.
Using a Dynojet, and yes I'm still on their CARB tune, soon to be custom tune. I am slowly getting bolt ons to add to the car and will be doing flex fuel for some extra horsepower.
Ryan5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #704
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
The guys will be back on it today. Pretty hard to get any outside help at 9pm on a friday night.

This is very good advice. I started mine on a holiday weekend... thinking I'd give myself some extra time to complete... then about 90% done I found out some parts were missing... DOH!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #705
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Quote:
This is very good advice. I started mine on a holiday weekend... thinking I'd give myself some extra time to complete... then about 90% done I found out some parts were missing... DOH!
Couldn't agree more! I've had a very similar issue (got the wrong ECU file and didn't check until the end), learn from our mistakes!

Quote:
I've logged tons and tons and sent to Edelbrock and looked myself. All the values look correct/reasonable. I seem to be having issues at about < 3500 RPM and around 2psi of boost/load. I thought we had it fixed after the fourth tune, it drove great the first time, but the second drive it was just as bad as ever. Didn't have any issues prior to install. still searching..... car is not really daily drivable until I get it solved unfortunately. Interestingly enough, another person in my region has the same exact issue, he tried a Delicious tune and the problem persisted. We're beginning to wonder if it's something wrong with something in some of the kits... There is not clear evidence of anything really yet.. except that it's running crazy rich at the problem area and we can't seem to stop it from happening.
Has Edelbrock agreed with your assessment and seen the problem on your logs? Did they communicate what did they did to your tune to address it? Just curious, since if you got a different tune, wouldn't that mean you no longer have the submitted/pending CARB tune? I'd agree that it sounds like something else is wrong since the tune "goes bad" after it tries to "learn". I wonder if existing owners will get an updated tune if that were the problem.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #706
86fun

I have a rattling sound coming from my SC, louder at startup, which I can hear from inside the cabin. Does anyone else have this? I'm beginning to wonder if something in the SC is broken or worn, like the coupler/isolator. I would describe the sound like someone is tossing a bag of marbles around under the hood, just slightly muffled sounding though. A physical issue would definitely explain my sometimes fine/sometimes messed up running of the kit. Let me know what you guys hear from yours please!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #707
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have a rattling sound coming from my SC, louder at startup, which I can hear from inside the cabin. Does anyone else have this? I'm beginning to wonder if something in the SC is broken or worn, like the coupler/isolator. I would describe the sound like someone is tossing a bag of marbles around under the hood, just slightly muffled sounding though. A physical issue would definitely explain my sometimes fine/sometimes messed up running of the kit. Let me know what you guys hear from yours please!
It's hard to gauge severity based on your description alone, but the supercharger does have some noise to it when operating that would be considered normal. Mine can be heard both in front of the car and from in the cabin as well.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #708
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mine does produce a noise (audible from both inside and out), but no where near a "rattle" or "muffled bag of marbles". I would describe it more of a "whirring" noise, kinda like if the AC was on, but slightly louder.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #709
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
No muffled rattling here either. Just the nice mechanical whir of the twin vortices. Sometimes I hear what sounds like the self-contained radiator pressurizing upon power on. And at low RPMs on acceleration/deceleration, my lightweight flywheel makes a noise disclaimed as normal by TRD. Race car sounds.

Thinking you might have a manufacturing defect.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #710
86fun

Interesting, I definitely have a rumbling/tumbling of rocks or marbles sound, loud enough to be heard in the car. There is also a whirling/whining when it is rev'd or makes boost, but that is a distinctly different sound all together. It does sound like I have some noises you guys don't have. I read this is a common symptom of a bad coupler/isolator...
Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #711
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Interesting, I definitely have a rumbling/tumbling of rocks or marbles sound, loud enough to be heard in the car. There is also a whirling/whining when it is rev'd or makes boost, but that is a distinctly different sound all together. It does sound like I have some noises you guys don't have. I read this is a common symptom of a bad coupler/isolator...

Here is a terrible quality iPhone video of what mine sounds like in the bay. It is louder towards the end of the clip when I am directly above the SC assy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #712
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have a rattling sound coming from my SC, louder at startup, which I can hear from inside the cabin. Does anyone else have this?
Do you hear it when idling or at certain RPM? i posted a while ago about a rasping/creaking sound that i'd hear sometimes briefly at WOT near redline. i brought it up starting on this page:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=78610&page=47
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #713
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post

Here is a terrible quality iPhone video of what mine sounds like in the bay. It is louder towards the end of the clip when I am directly above the SC assy.

Yea, when you got close to the top of the SC unit it did sound a lot like mine does, kind of a hard grinding noise. Maybe it is normal... I guess if it's not it probably won't last long!

I took another test drive tonight and the problem eased off again, only slightly hesitating. It's so damn messed up, from one drive to another it's either great, or totally miserable... sigh....

Is it possible there is some kind of intermittent problem with some other engine component, like the HPFP, or something? I'd think that would show up in our logs though, never mind me I'm just scratching in the dirt for a clue..
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #714
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Yea, when you got close to the top of the SC unit it did sound a lot like mine does, kind of a hard grinding noise. Maybe it is normal... I guess if it's not it probably won't last long!

I took another test drive tonight and the problem eased off again, only slightly hesitating. It's so damn messed up, from one drive to another it's either great, or totally miserable... sigh....

Is it possible there is some kind of intermittent problem with some other engine component, like the HPFP, or something? I'd think that would show up in our logs though, never mind me I'm just scratching in the dirt for a clue..

FWIW I have about 10,000 miles on my setup so far and it still hits 11psi at redline just like the day I got it. And she's been through a trip to the Dragon, Autox, and HPDE in the time it's been on as well as daily thrashing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-01-2016), Uplink (02-02-2016)