follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2019, 12:56 AM   #71
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After vehicle taxes, titles and registrations, it's more like 1500!
Old 09-13-2019, 04:25 AM   #72
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I can't find it in my google. What Australia's laws on taxing that money? Also what would the lump sum payout be?

In america, that big headline number gets whittled down really quickly.

https://www.sapling.com/7483593/calc...ottery-payment

That example is a really good reason to not bother getting a ticket for jackpots under 10 million. I for one could blow through $300k in a month given the opportunity. And nothing even exciting. Just doing boring stuff like paying off the mortgage, or getting the garage rebuilt structurally this time, or fixing my driveway, or renovating my kitchen. By the time I'd be done with all that, i might get one 7 day cruise out of what's left of the "million".

So assuming the same taxation rate and lump sum payout, the final actual cash-in-hand is closer to $67million.

Still a few good truckloads of money and enough to very comfortably retire early, but not nearly "throw money out the window" as the headlines imply.
That is the good thing about that here, lotto winnings are not taxed. So you win the $150 million, the whole lot is yours!

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/au...215152188.html
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-13-2019), soundman98 (09-13-2019), why? (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #73
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If I won alot of money, the 86 would become track only hack
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
fatoni (09-14-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #74
Halo_2

Drives: 2014 MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
So you win the $150 million, the whole lot is yours!
And it would be the highest single payout in aus if that does happen.
Halo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Halo_2 For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #75
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I could be wrong but it seems you missed @Tcoat's point. It wasn't that you would spend the money necessarily but if you were going to spend the equivalent money you would be more likely to spend it on an off the shelf solution rather than dumping the money into a cheap car.
I doubt I could spend the equivalent money. I mean you do hear stories of people that put half a million into a Jetta or stuff like that, which is totally insane.

From my perspective the money would never be equivalent. No matter how much I dumped into the twin, it would still be $100 oil change at most. A supercar? Last time I heard it is $12k or so. I don't know at what price all the maintenance goes wild, but I have zero interest in having to pump that much into a car every few thousand miles.

I might get a 4c, but I'd have to see if they are that insane or if they are normal. If I had that cash I'd probably settle on a c8, because I know they are normal.

More importantly, that isn't the point. If I wanted power or speed I would have bought a Mustang or a Camaro. The twins offer fun and entertainment that is accessible at the speeds of most public roads. Adding forced induction destroys that totally and completely. Adding lightness doesn't. Most more expensive cars have more power and more weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Unless @why? meant you could spend less money modifying a car for enjoyment than buying a supercar and not stand out as much?

I see what you are saying though, from a mechanical/engineering perspective, a factory solution is always better.
Except most factory solutions are usually both more power and more weight. Even the "lightweight" cars like Lotus use v6's now. The 4c has 240, so that is reasonable. If you are looking for lightweight and reliable, there is only a few other cars out there that can beat the twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This^
The point I was making is that many miss the fact that their whole outlook on things would change if they had that much money. Easy to sit in their current situation and think "cool I could buy better coil overs" when once they have the larger range of options available that would probably change in a hurry. It is hard for us poor folks to even conceive of how our ideals would change when we can do things so radically different.
That could be the case for normal people, I have no idea. I do know we could all afford more expensive vehicles and chose not to. For me the ability to not go to work and spend a year or two figuring out who I am and what I really want would be much more entertaining than spending a ton of money on crazy crap. Life comes at us way too fast and even at 40 my head is still spinning a little.

But then I didn't buy this car and choose to modify it because I couldn't buy something more fun and more expensive. The other car I was really looking at to buy was a 1st gen MR2. So I just might be different.

Quote:
We are back to the spending thoughts. With $100 million you could buy a $1 million car and only spend 1% of the cash. The whole concept of saving money by modifying a cheap car just goes out the window when we are talking that much money.
How many people here can honestly say that a Twin is their complete and total dream car and there is nothing else they would have got instead if they had $1 million cash in hand?
Only if that is why you chose to buy the twin. That is absolutely not the case for many here. And I think the big point is many people who modify these care are not saving money in any way. We save money on oil changes and tires and brakes, but spend it on coilovers and forced induction and carbon fiber. These engine swaps kill the idea of saving money. That's easily porsche money or new c8 money right there.

For the price of an oil change on most supercars you can buy an absolute top of the line computer. Plus you cannot use that $1 million dollar car every day. And there are places you absolutely would never drive it.

But I understand your point. And maybe if we were among normal people they would think like you are saying. I'll be the first to admit I'm not normal, and I never want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Seen a show where winning the lotto ruined people's lives.
Normal people simply do not learn how to deal with money and finances like wealthy people do. That is why they are normal. If a person chooses to live frugally, they can save and invest and end up with quite a lot of money in a few decades.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
8RZ (09-13-2019), Dadhawk (09-13-2019), Dirty Harry (09-13-2019), Lynxis (09-13-2019), new2subaru (09-13-2019), Spuds (10-26-2019), Ultramaroon (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #76
Halo_2

Drives: 2014 MY15 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Seen a show where winning the lotto ruined people's lives.
What happens is they usually blow all the money and are no happier then before winning.

Not to mention all the sponges of family and friends wanting a slice.

We had one moron in WA win lotto 'will keep playing lotto because its easy,' since he won only after 6 months of playing. And will be trying to flip houses when there is a glut of houses for sale.
Halo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #77
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Normal people simply do not learn how to deal with money and finances like wealthy people do. That is why they are normal. If a person chooses to live frugally, they can save and invest and end up with quite a lot of money in a few decades.
There are plenty of "normal" people that know how to deal with money. They just don't hit the news until after they die and leave it all to their favorite charity.

You are right though, slow and steady will get you there, as long as you play the game right.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-13-2019), soundman98 (09-13-2019), why? (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #78
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I doubt I could spend the equivalent money. I mean you do hear stories of people that put half a million into a Jetta or stuff like that, which is totally insane.

From my perspective the money would never be equivalent. No matter how much I dumped into the twin, it would still be $100 oil change at most. A supercar? Last time I heard it is $12k or so. I don't know at what price all the maintenance goes wild, but I have zero interest in having to pump that much into a car every few thousand miles.

I might get a 4c, but I'd have to see if they are that insane or if they are normal. If I had that cash I'd probably settle on a c8, because I know they are normal.

More importantly, that isn't the point. If I wanted power or speed I would have bought a Mustang or a Camaro. The twins offer fun and entertainment that is accessible at the speeds of most public roads. Adding forced induction destroys that totally and completely. Adding lightness doesn't. Most more expensive cars have more power and more weight.

Except most factory solutions are usually both more power and more weight. Even the "lightweight" cars like Lotus use v6's now. The 4c has 240, so that is reasonable. If you are looking for lightweight and reliable, there is only a few other cars out there that can beat the twins.

That could be the case for normal people, I have no idea. I do know we could all afford more expensive vehicles and chose not to. For me the ability to not go to work and spend a year or two figuring out who I am and what I really want would be much more entertaining than spending a ton of money on crazy crap. Life comes at us way too fast and even at 40 my head is still spinning a little.

But then I didn't buy this car and choose to modify it because I couldn't buy something more fun and more expensive. The other car I was really looking at to buy was a 1st gen MR2. So I just might be different.

Only if that is why you chose to buy the twin. That is absolutely not the case for many here. And I think the big point is many people who modify these care are not saving money in any way. We save money on oil changes and tires and brakes, but spend it on coilovers and forced induction and carbon fiber. These engine swaps kill the idea of saving money. That's easily porsche money or new c8 money right there.

For the price of an oil change on most supercars you can buy an absolute top of the line computer. Plus you cannot use that $1 million dollar car every day. And there are places you absolutely would never drive it.

But I understand your point. And maybe if we were among normal people they would think like you are saying. I'll be the first to admit I'm not normal, and I never want to be.

OK reading back I can see how people could misinterpret what I was saying. I was not implying that since you had that much cash you could and likely would go out and buy a super car of some sort. I was saying that you could get what you REALLY wanted and do that up. In your case that could be the MR2. In my case it would be a 440 Dart or an old Mopar R/T. In many, many cases it could be an old Supra. And so on and so on. Using the $100 million as a base line you could spend a 1/2% of the winnings and have a whole fleet of cars and claiming that you would just mod the car you already happen to own would probably go out the window fast. A big part of the appeal of the Twins are that they are easy to get and relatively inexpensive. If you remove both those considerations from your shopping list then literally a whole world of possibilities opens up and getting that $5,000 turbo to make the car something else becomes redundant.
There is also the consideration that many that mod their cars do it for the joy of modding and once they have a finished product they are bored with it and sell it off to start a new project. We see that all the time on here and it has always happened. With the sort of money we are talking I would probably consider doing exactly that sort of thing by getting rusted old hulks and restoring them to their former glory. Not like I would have to work for a living.

Dadhawk (09-13-2019), Dirty Harry (09-13-2019), Lynxis (09-13-2019), soundman98 (09-13-2019), Ultramaroon (09-13-2019), why? (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #79
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
OK reading back I can see how people could misinterpret what I was saying. I was not implying that since you had that much cash you could and likely would go out and buy a super car of some sort. I was saying that you could get what you REALLY wanted and do that up. In your case that could be the MR2. In my case it would be a 440 Dart or an old Mopar R/T. In many, many cases it could be an old Supra. And so on and so on. Using the $100 million as a base line you could spend a 1/2% of the winnings and have a whole fleet of cars and claiming that you would just mod the car you already happen to own would probably go out the window fast. A big part of the appeal of the Twins are that they are easy to get and relatively inexpensive. If you remove both those considerations from your shopping list then literally a whole world of possibilities opens up and getting that $5,000 turbo to make the car something else becomes redundant.
There is also the consideration that many that mod their cars do it for the joy of modding and once they have a finished product they are bored with it and sell it off to start a new project. We see that all the time on here and it has always happened. With the sort of money we are talking I would probably consider doing exactly that sort of thing by getting rusted old hulks and restoring them to their former glory. Not like I would have to work for a living.
For me and many others on here, our twin is *almost* the car we want and it's usually financial concerns that stop us from being able to make it *exactly* the car we want. With that in mind, if I won the lotto, I'd probably get something else for a daily driver and turn my BRZ into a dedicated track rat by gutting/caging, get proper seats and some relevant performance upgrades such as brakes, motorsport level suspension, aero package, semi-slicks, and full exhaust and tuning solutions and reliability upgrades. Keep the car like this until I've outgrown it in this configuration then consider carefully if I want to add boost and wide body or move onto something with a higher performance envelope.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
MaverickMonk (09-13-2019), Will BRZ (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #80
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
The BRZ would definitely stay, but probably as a track toy, and probably get a supercharger, since I'd no longer be worried about the potential financial pain of killing the engine.

I'd definitely have a few more cars though. My daily would probably be a more expensive but reasonable sporty car. Porsche of some flavor, or a modern sports sedan if I wanted a bit more comfort to go with my fun. A Cayman would probably be it, provided I were able to get in and out of it. If not, probably like an Audi RS3 or something similar, nothing crazy.

And I'd definitely have a moneypit/project car. 964 C4? A simple 3.2L Carrera? That's where all the money would go. Maybe a clean E30 as well...

I wouldn't be looking for something that screamed "I won the lottery", no purple Bugatti or anything, just more fun modern stuff and cool classic stuff
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #81
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd keep the FRS, but probably do a full track build. Synergy V8 swap. Gutted and caged. Drop the weight below 2400 lbs. I think that'd be hilarious fun.

Would probably add a GT3 RS and Viper ACR as additional track toys though. Maybe an LFA and/or BAC Mono. Lot of fun ways to spend imaginary money lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
why? (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #82
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Don't do lotteries. Never bought a ticket. To me they're really effective at negatively redistributing wealth. If I suddenly came into truly life altering wealth, I don't know what I'd do. I really like the 3 vehicles we have (an 06 F-150, a '12 Camry, and my BRZ). A 911 maybe. Most sports cars are built for guys 5'10" or shorter. I don't fit. At all.

I know a number of pretty wealthy people. The fact is, I'm pretty sure if an offer to switch lives with them arrived I'd decline. I find their lives (in ways that are important to me) a little pathetic. I am pretty sure they are no happier than we are and in some ways less.

I'm retiring in a year or so. If I have enough money to travel a bit, keep the house and cars maintained, and live the rest of my life comfortably - I'll take that deal.
Dadhawk (09-14-2019), humfrz (09-14-2019), soundman98 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #83
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
For me and many others on here, our twin is *almost* the car we want and it's usually financial concerns that stop us from being able to make it *exactly* the car we want. With that in mind, if I won the lotto, I'd probably get something else for a daily driver and turn my BRZ into a dedicated track rat by gutting/caging, get proper seats and some relevant performance upgrades such as brakes, motorsport level suspension, aero package, semi-slicks, and full exhaust and tuning solutions and reliability upgrades. Keep the car like this until I've outgrown it in this configuration then consider carefully if I want to add boost and wide body or move onto something with a higher performance envelope.
You can afford almost any car you want and the BRZ would be your go to? They are a great car and all but...

Old 09-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #84
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
You can afford almost any car you want and the BRZ would be your go to? They are a great car and all but...
The thing is, the question is saying we already own the BRZ/86, if we didn't have it there's a high probability we'd skip it over for a Porsche of some sort. With that much money I personally see zero reason to lose the BRZ/86 at all.

I get that rare opportunity to drive a lot of cars and need not own and turns out I didn't want to own the vast majority of what I've driven. Turns out I want the least troublesome car to own, a younger me would think I was crazy but with so much cash on hand...if I wanted the experience of a Ferrari...I think I'd simply rent the thing for a bit and give it back. I tried so many cars already, would be nice to try as many exotic cars possible.

Interestingly, with such a high amount of cash on hand...I'd likely only chose investment type cars to actually buy. If going by a bit of emotion I'd definitely buy a lot of old crap. Its far harder to rent old cars, so I'd likely have to do a different thing to Hoovie's Garage where I own stuff I want to try out, get them in as good condition possible and when I'm done with them replace it for something else.

I would seek out my first car if it still survives and attempt to restore that though. If I can get that to happen, keep my first car, my FRS and the rest just gets cycled either because I'm bored with it or recoup the investment.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-14-2019)