follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
JIM THEO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: BRZ 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 474
Thanks: 115
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subframe mount inserts choice

Which are the softest subframe mount inserts among Whiteline, Superpro, Powerflex, Polypro, Torque solutions etc, I want the minimum possible NVH increase.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 6,719
Thanked 5,287 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
Which are the softest subframe mount inserts among Whiteline, Superpro, Powerflex, Polypro, Torque solutions etc, I want the minimum possible NVH increase.



What's wrong with OEM?
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
kch (12-20-2018), Strife26 (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 500
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,108 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I found I didnt get much NVH from my cheapo ($35 on sale) Hardrace inserts, and they were pretty hard.

My Hardrace diff support ($80 on sale) on the other hand has added a fair bit of NVH.

Not overly annoying (for me), but loud enough for my daughter to notice when she drives the car.

Actually, take into concideration my loud(ish) exhaust with 2017 OEM punched out header, 2.5" overpipe, and 2.5" X Force overpipe back, and my Hankook RS4's which are pretty loud.

Whilst the subframe bushings gave a good improvement, the diff mount support added greatly to the overall improvement, albeit with added NVH.

I would assume diff support mount bushing inserts (like the whiteline pn KDT925) might be better than the support brace IRT NVH.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits

Last edited by 86MLR; 12-20-2018 at 05:46 PM.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 500
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,108 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
What's wrong with OEM?
OEM are fine for driving to the shops, but they fall over real quick when it comes to performance.

The saying "throwing a sausage down a hallway" comes to mind.
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (12-20-2018), Leonardo (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,132
Thanks: 13,389
Thanked 9,192 Times in 4,848 Posts
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Whiteline inserts were a nice upgrade, no big change to nvh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-20-2018), smg1138 (02-10-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
JIM THEO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: BRZ 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 474
Thanks: 115
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I found I didnt get much NVH from my cheapo ($35 on sale) Hardrace inserts, and they were pretty hard.

My Hardrace diff support ($80 on sale) on the other hand has added a fair bit of NVH.

Not overly annoying (for me), but loud enough for my daughter to notice when she drives the car.

Actually, take into concideration my loud(ish) exhaust with 2017 OEM punched out header, 2.5" overpipe, and 2.5" X Force overpipe back, and my Hankook RS4's which are pretty loud.

Whilst the subframe bushings gave a good improvement, the diff mount support added greatly to the overall improvement, albeit with added NVH.

I would assume diff support mount bushing inserts (like the whiteline pn KDT925) might be better than the support brace IRT NVH.
Are they plastic or am I seeing wrong?
And do they induce sudden oversteer at the limit?
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
JIM THEO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: BRZ 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 474
Thanks: 115
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
What's wrong with OEM?
They are very sloppy, at hard cornering you feel the chassis floating over the subframe or at least this is my feeling from day one I drive this car, something is wrong back there!
Just wondering should I wait to install first my new Ohlins coilovers or to install them altogether?

Last edited by JIM THEO; 12-20-2018 at 06:34 PM.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 6,719
Thanked 5,287 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
They are very sloppy, at hard cornering you feel the chassis floating over the subframe or at least this is my feeling from day one I drive this car, something is wrong back there!
Just wondering should I wait to install first my new Ohlins coilovers or to install them altogether?
Thanks for your answers.

Question: Why were they suspect from day one? Why not some other part(s)?


Like one of these parts: Coilovers, sway bars, endlinks, ball joints & tie rod ends, LCA, trailing arms, and toe arms.


I just replaced all those parts and my steering is much tighter, but I also have WAAAY more NVH.


Eventually I want to get the Complete Front and rear Whiteline bushing kits.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #9
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 500
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,108 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
Are they plastic or am I seeing wrong?
And do they induce sudden oversteer at the limit?
Yes they are a plastic (thermoplasic??), they resist cracking more than poly.

Sudden oversteer at the limit?, not from my experience, if you are having sudden oversteer at the limit??? (limit of what, tyre???/skill???), I would say thats more of a tyre and/or suspension/alignment issue.
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
JIM THEO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: BRZ 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 474
Thanks: 115
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Thanks for your answers.

Question: Why were they suspect from day one? Why not some other part(s)?


Like one of these parts: Coilovers, sway bars, endlinks, ball joints & tie rod ends, LCA, trailing arms, and toe arms.


I just replaced all those parts and my steering is much tighter, but I also have WAAAY more NVH.


Eventually I want to get the Complete Front and rear Whiteline bushing kits.
I have this feeling from day one, not that I suspect subframe bushings are responsible for this from day one, that's why I ask if I should install first coilovers and see how it drives.
I think my description is very precise as if the car floats over the subframe and rear wheels, not directly connected with them, and is not the sway bar nor soft tires (215/40/18 PSS).

@86MLR no I haven't sudden oversteer just asking cause the car is super friendly at the limit and I want to keep this characteristic
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
new2subaru
Weight Weenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,436
Thanks: 4,657
Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
They are very sloppy, at hard cornering you feel the chassis floating over the subframe or at least this is my feeling from day one I drive this car, something is wrong back there!
Just wondering should I wait to install first my new Ohlins coilovers or to install them altogether?

Yup, I felt the same thing. I installed this bushing kit and it tightened it right up.


https://www.whiteline.com.au/product...DT922&sq=22167


I would do it first so that you can appreciate the difference such a simple mod makes.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (12-20-2018), steel86gt (01-22-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 500
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,108 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
I have this feeling from day one, not that I suspect subframe bushings are responsible for this from day one, that's why I ask if I should install first coilovers and see how it drives.
I think my description is very precise as if the car floats over the subframe and rear wheels, not directly connected with them, and is not the sway bar nor soft tires (215/40/18 PSS).

@86MLR no I haven't sudden oversteer just asking cause the car is super friendly at the limit and I want to keep this characteristic
Throw in the suspension and the inserts.

I have mca coilovers 6kg f, 4.5kg r, dampening set to about midway, mca traction mod in the rear, stock sways with subframe bush inserts and the diff mount support brace.

Car is what I would call balances, very steady and predictable.

Unlike before when the arse would wallow around and be unpredictable.
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (12-20-2018), new2subaru (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,458
Thanks: 2,680
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,736 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
They are very sloppy, at hard cornering you feel the chassis floating over the subframe or at least this is my feeling from day one I drive this car, something is wrong back there!
I got this feeling when I upgraded my tires. I'm going to get a thick sway bar in the rear and lower it on pro kit springs to see how much better it feels.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #14
new2subaru
Weight Weenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,436
Thanks: 4,657
Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jim,


Here's how I did my install. Hope it helps. Post 73



http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=20920&page=6
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (12-20-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 86TOYO2k17 Transmission and Driveline 9 03-28-2020 02:00 PM
Whiteline KDT922 (Subframe Bushing Inserts) Grease - Safe to use on Rubber? eckoflyte Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 8 07-14-2018 11:24 AM
FS: SuperPro subframe inserts & LCA inner bushings xn7485 Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 1 09-13-2017 03:23 AM
whiteline rear subframe inserts charged86 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 16 05-18-2013 09:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.