follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #1331
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throwing out a question to those just using the bucktooth stock JDL intercooler; what are you IATs during a pull? With a GTX3076r gen2 my IATs are hitting 150f at 20PSI in one single pull at 90f ambient. I don't know if this is expected or not and just wanted to poll the audience.
I'm seeing if Jesse has any of the upgraded intercoolers, but if there's something inherently wrong with my setup it'd be nice to know first. I am going to work on some temporary ducting to see how it helps for street driving.

TL;Dr - For those above 300WHP, tell me your IATs during a pull near redline if you have the stock bucktooth JDL intercooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Run a tube down to the washer reservoir area and feed it cold air, ideally.

Please tell me you have an oil cooler!
Just to follow up on this, my oil temps are staying between 200 and 225f with my driving on the street. This is absolutely the highest ambient air the car will see so I am holding off on an oil cooler to reduce complexity (90f here in uncommon). I haven't mocked up an intake yet but am finding urgent need to do so, as IATs during pulls are unacceptable.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #1332
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Throwing out a question to those just using the bucktooth stock JDL intercooler; what are you IATs during a pull? With a GTX3076r gen2 my IATs are hitting 150f at 20PSI in one single pull at 90f ambient. I don't know if this is expected or not and just wanted to poll the audience.
I'm seeing if Jesse has any of the upgraded intercoolers, but if there's something inherently wrong with my setup it'd be nice to know first. I am going to work on some temporary ducting to see how it helps for street driving.

TL;Dr - For those above 300WHP, tell me your IATs during a pull near redline if you have the stock bucktooth JDL intercooler

Just to follow up on this, my oil temps are staying between 200 and 225f with my driving on the street. This is absolutely the highest ambient air the car will see so I am holding off on an oil cooler to reduce complexity (90f here in uncommon). I haven't mocked up an intake yet but am finding urgent need to do so, as IATs during pulls are unacceptable.
Do you considered OEM forester oil cooler at least?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #1333
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

That tells me your intercooler is working fantastically!

remember, PV=nRT
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #1334
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Do you considered OEM forester oil cooler at least?
Considered, yes. The car will never see track or anything other than street driving, so the forester cooler would probably benefit in several ways (except that it adds more lines to potentially leak)

Quote:
That tells me your intercooler is working fantastically!

remember, PV=nRT
Hmm, maybe I should measure the temperature pre-intercooler to get a gauge on how effective it really is. At any rate, 150f IATs are not my goal so I think a more efficient cooler will be the best approach. Not interested in meth injection right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Teseo (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #1335
CSG Mike

Quote:
Considered, yes. The car will never see track or anything other than street driving, so the forester cooler would probably benefit in several ways (except that it adds more lines to potentially leak)

Hmm, maybe I should measure the temperature pre-intercooler to get a gauge on how effective it really is. At any rate, 150f IATs are not my goal so I think a more efficient cooler will be the best approach. Not interested in meth injection right now.
You can ballpark calculate, using ideal gas law.

PV = nRT.

You know Pressure change, Volume is constant in your system, n is amount of gas (ballpark it based on known fuel use, or extrapolate based on your known atmospheric/temp vs boost/temp), R is constant, and T is temp.

Your intercooler is dropping your charge temp 100+ degrees.

And this is assuming 100% turbo efficiency. If we assume a turbo efficiency of closer to 75%, the intercooler is doing even more.

I don't think you'll find a more efficient intercooler without also gaining pressure drop, which means you'll work your turbo harder, which means you may actually make your problem worse, etc. etc. etc.

I get 150F isn't ideal, but your tune should already be compensating for charge temps.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #1336
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
You can ballpark calculate, using ideal gas law.

PV = nRT.

You know Pressure change, Volume is constant in your system, n is amount of gas (ballpark it based on known fuel use, or extrapolate based on your known atmospheric/temp vs boost/temp), R is constant, and T is temp.

Your intercooler is dropping your charge temp 100+ degrees.

And this is assuming 100% turbo efficiency. If we assume a turbo efficiency of closer to 75%, the intercooler is doing even more.

I don't think you'll find a more efficient intercooler without also gaining pressure drop, which means you'll work your turbo harder, which means you may actually make your problem worse, etc. etc. etc.

I get 150F isn't ideal, but your tune should already be compensating for charge temps.

Thank you Mike! I'm going to trade some pressure drop for consistent low charge temps. I'm barely able to be in the efficiency range for my turbo as is, I'm having Jesse from JDL build me an upgraded bar and plate. I've also ordered a Garrett core and will be having a fabricator do a traditional style FMIC. I'll test both against the data I have and will either hold onto what I like most and sell the rest, or keep it for friends who I push to go turbo locally.

I'm certain a 3.5" thick Garrett core will keep me much closer to ambient on the street and for 1/4 mile fun. Let's see how it affects the cooling stack next, I'll be in touch with CSG for my radiator should it become the next failure point
Old 08-26-2022, 10:01 PM   #1337
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thank you Mike! I'm going to trade some pressure drop for consistent low charge temps. I'm barely able to be in the efficiency range for my turbo as is, I'm having Jesse from JDL build me an upgraded bar and plate. I've also ordered a Garrett core and will be having a fabricator do a traditional style FMIC. I'll test both against the data I have and will either hold onto what I like most and sell the rest, or keep it for friends who I push to go turbo locally.

I'm certain a 3.5" thick Garrett core will keep me much closer to ambient on the street and for 1/4 mile fun. Let's see how it affects the cooling stack next, I'll be in touch with CSG for my radiator should it become the next failure point
Guess who did the testing for the big boi JDL intercooler
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-26-2022)
Old 05-04-2023, 10:53 PM   #1338
Ibetchuwontdoit

Drives: 2015 'Hot Lava" FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello all you JDL kit owners. Finally ready to pull the trigger on a kit and I've got a few questions. First off, for reference, I am looking at this kit:
https://86speed.com/jdl-turbo-kit-2860rs-spec-kit

I've heard a lot of good things about JDL's kits after much reading. So, let me give a quick run down...

It's a daily driver, and even though I work from home and don't drive it daily, would like to keep it reasonably reliable. My power goals are modest, I understand that reliability and big power don't always go together without lots of money. My block is stock, most of my car is stock. Got better brakes, wider rear wheels, axle-back exhaust, UEL mani, K&N intake, OFT Stage 1 tune and a Gramms 72mm throttle body (only because my OEM one failed and it was cheaper than OEM). Lastly (and this is where the hate will probably come,) my FRS is an automatic.

I have been in talks with someone at 86speed.com about the kit and my car and there was mention of a need of a front pipe, and that it was potentially difficult to find a front pipe that fit on the automatics. So, here's the questions:

1. What front pipe(s) mate up to the JDL downpipe and a 2015 FRS w/ ATX? (Preferably keeping with the 2.5" flanges)

2. Should I keep the OFT and try to find a tuner that will tune with it, or should I sell it and get an ECUtek (or something else)?

3. JDL's website offers an option for low-pro fans, 86speed does not, is it ACTUALLY necessary for proper fitment?

4. 3 or 4 bar sensor and (briefly) why?

5. I don't plan to track/drift/race the car, but I do live in an area with hot af summers, oil cooler really necessary? What about a catch can? While I understand it helps reliability, maybe ok to do a little later?

6. What am I potentially missing or forgetting to consider for this kit?

Thanks in advance,
Ibetchuwontdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:50 AM   #1339
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
ecutek much better of course (pm me for info about ecutek situation right now, as it blocked by EPA)

MAP sensor take a 3bar..4bar sensor tend to give up very soon and you ll need to change it, 3bar are very durable and reliable

Oil cooler yes.. prwtty necessary
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #1340
Ibetchuwontdoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
ecutek much better of course (pm me for info about ecutek situation right now, as it blocked by EPA)

MAP sensor take a 3bar..4bar sensor tend to give up very soon and you ll need to change it, 3bar are very durable and reliable

Oil cooler yes.. prwtty necessary
PM sent, curiosity piqued.

That's a good reason to go 3 bar, sold.

Oil cooler recommendations?
Old 05-05-2023, 12:11 PM   #1341
tomm.brz

actually if you keep wastegate pressure and no flex you can continue with OFT

for ecutek you would need a lot of money extra, and first you d need to force uograde to euro tune with a tactrix cable
Old 05-08-2023, 07:08 AM   #1342
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
actually if you keep wastegate pressure and no flex you can continue with OFT

for ecutek you would need a lot of money extra, and first you d need to force uograde to euro tune with a tactrix cable

Can do flex on oft for any car pre 2017, also no EPA issues with oft, yet
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:32 AM   #1343
tomm.brz

yes i ve done once with oft and boost and probably won t do anymore, what i meant is
It s a pain in the ass compared to ecutek and ecutek is just a better choice for boost and flex
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Teseo (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 09:20 PM   #1344
Ibetchuwontdoit

Got my kit ordered through JDL today. Any recommendations for an oil cooler that fits with the JDL intercooler and kind of thinking of a catch can too...