follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2022, 09:44 PM   #1
Mr_Brian

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Obtaining a NJ rebuilt title

I'm looking to build a track frs/brz and want to get one from a salvage auction site with a salvage title. Has anyone here rebuilt a salvage title car and obtained a rebuilt title in NJ and registered the car to drive on the street? The process seems fairly straight forwards except for the work order part since I'll be doing the repairs myself. Would love to hear from people who have done this to see how strict the inspection process is and whether or not it's worth it.
Mr_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
DavidBob

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello! I haven’t been on here in a while but saw your post and I thought I would give some insight.

I bought my car from iaai back in 2014. I didn’t know much about it but I had a family friend that flips cars so he walked me through the whole process.

First thing: When it comes to these insurance auctions and totaled cars, only people with dealers licenses can buy/bid on these cars. If you do not have a dealers license (to my knowledge) you will not be able to bid/buy one of these cars from auction

Next: The car we bought came from Virginia, the dealers license and collision shop is in PA while I live in NJ. To transfer one of these titles from Salvage to a Rebuilt title, it needs to go through a special inspection. From my understanding, you need documentation of all parts purchased to repair the car (as in receipts for new parts, not used parts).

Lastly: Once you go through all that and obtain a “Rebuilt” title, you can register the car. Not all NJ MVC allow you to register cars with Rebuilt titles. You need to go on their site and find the list that shows you which MVC’s you can go to to get it done.

I’d highly recommend looking for someone with a dealers license/someone at a collision shop to walk you through this process to get all of this done as you wont really be able to do it all yourself (especially if its your first time). To make this process even easier, you could also just look for someone selling a car with a blown motor for cheaper or one that is crashed but hasn’t been totaled out out by insurance/has a clean title still.

Hope this helps!

Build Thread - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124218
DavidBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidBob For This Useful Post:
LSK (03-31-2022), soundman98 (03-30-2022), Wally86 (03-30-2022)