follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #57
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
So, I actually really like the Kartboy shifter's feel. I used to use one, with a killer bee shifter riser, and a taller knob, to basically get the height of where this IRP shifter is. It was a great setup...the IRP blows it out of the water. Percentage wise, its probably another 30-40% reduction in throw. I describe it, as precise as flipping a switch, it's an incredibly satisfying feeling.
This sounds promising! Anyone else have thoughts/reviews on this shifter? I was eyeing the CAE shifter, but this fits my budget much better! I also don't want to feel like I'm "settling" by going for the cheaper shifter.

Would be cool if someone thats owned or tried both could give honest opinions.
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #58
TeutonicShift89

Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
A bit off-topic. That heel-toe... I mean its heel-toe alright, but never did I though possible to do it like that (heel on brakes, toes on the accelerator pipe that goes up).

Funny I thought the same thing when I saw it. Tried to imitate it the next day on way to work and--well, I'm much smoother doing it my way, straddling the brake with my big toe/ball of foot and rolling the side of my foot to the gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #59
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
A bit off-topic. That heel-toe... I mean its heel-toe alright, but never did I though possible to do it like that (heel on brakes, toes on the accelerator pipe that goes up).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 View Post
Funny I thought the same thing when I saw it. Tried to imitate it the next day on way to work and--well, I'm much smoother doing it my way, straddling the brake with my big toe/ball of foot and rolling the side of my foot to the gas
The pro way of doing it:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhtCbSayj0"]Ricky Rudd :: 1994 Sears Point :: Onboard, Pedal Cam - YouTube[/ame]

Cusco pedal extends further upwards than stock:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYLEXIQDXSE"]Cusco Sport Accelerator Pedal - for easier heal & toe downshifts - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, back to topic.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (12-24-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #60
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
So, I actually really like the Kartboy shifter's feel. I used to use one, with a killer bee shifter riser, and a taller knob, to basically get the height of where this IRP shifter is. It was a great setup...the IRP blows it out of the water. Percentage wise, its probably another 30-40% reduction in throw. I describe it, as precise as flipping a switch, it's an incredibly satisfying feeling.
This sounds so awesome. Do you guys think this is suitable to daily driving though?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #61
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
This sounds so awesome. Do you guys think this is suitable to daily driving though?
It depends on what you value? Same as with other upgrades, like coilovers, bushings, exhaust etc. Some will prefer stock suspension and quiet exhaust. Others are perfectly fine with a hard suspension and a loud exhaust as an example. It will be more noisy since it rigidly mounted.

From an operating perspective, I don't see a disadvantage. Even if just driving the car to work I enjoy the feel of the shifter. The stock shifter is undoubtedly good, but this is just another feeling. It's purely subjective, but there is a certain unexplainable satisfaction of the "thumbs" when it goes into gear. See the video I posted earlier:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IR5mW7YT2s"]IRP-Germany shifter - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #62
TeutonicShift89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Cusco pedal extends further upwards than stock:

Ok, back to topic.
I have this pedal, too! Helps my narrow size 10 feet "straddle" that gap between gas and brake.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #63
TeutonicShift89

Someone brought up the material earlier--but Tor, if you parked this car outside in places that regularly reach 80-90 degrees F ambient, would you have any concerns about burning your hands on the lever?

Old 12-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #64
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 View Post
Someone brought up the material earlier--but Tor, if you parked this car outside in places that regularly reach 80-90 degrees F ambient, would you have any concerns about burning your hands on the lever?
I can't say as it is winter here. I've been driving the car in 32 F and initially it's pretty cold to touch. But about the same time the engine is up to temperature the shifter is as well.

I am guessing that it won't be particularly warm from just being in 90 F. Rather I would imagine it to feel cooler. If it's in direct sunlight I can imagine it might get hot, though I doubt it would get burning. After all it's aluminum, not cast iron.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
TeutonicShift89 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #65
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
It depends on what you value? Same as with other upgrades, like coilovers, bushings, exhaust etc. Some will prefer stock suspension and quiet exhaust. Others are perfectly fine with a hard suspension and a loud exhaust as an example. It will be more noisy since it rigidly mounted.

From an operating perspective, I don't see a disadvantage. Even if just driving the car to work I enjoy the feel of the shifter. The stock shifter is undoubtedly good, but this is just another feeling. It's purely subjective, but there is a certain unexplainable satisfaction of the "thumbs" when it goes into gear. See the video I posted earlier:

Personally, I am all for improving whatever the car is already good at. One being the ergonomics, as long as it does not get too obnoxious.

If it does improves the experience without much drawbacks, this shall be on the "next mod" list.

Thanks for taking the time to make the videos and posts!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #66
TeutonicShift89

Tor, this is a brilliant shifter in my mind, and I love things that are beautifully crafted and pleasant to use. There are some minor mods needed to fit this shifter in place like cutting the console tunnel a bit. But once installed can you think of any added maintenance or complexity this shifter might require beyond the stock shifter? Seems to be simpler in many ways to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #67
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
How do we get rid of the rattle at high rpms?
Old 12-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #68
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks @Tor and @The Racers Line for the info!

Looks like a decent (cheaper) alternative to the cae. I really wish it had a replaceable knob, I'm not so down with a metallic one.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #69
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
even if shifter would have been changed to allow replaceable knobs, those might be hard to find, as given current shifter construction it would also need empty center for reverse button, which would probably strike out most of them.
So it's remove current solid knob top from lever, replace with theading and to find or manufacture own custom knobs with place for reverse button ..
Or imho much simpler to do - make current solid one-piece-with lever knob a bit thinner and add possibility to put on some simple & cheap basic delrin/rubber/leather wrap/slip-on sleeve on top of it.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
TeutonicShift89 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #70
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You're not wrong, but you read way too far into that. My point stands though.