follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No accident, but GRRRR! (windshield crack)

My commute route has been a bit unkind over the years to windshields. My Xterra is going to be 16 this year, and has been through 3 new ones since we moved here 10 years ago (none prior). My wife's car has had 1 replaced.

The FR-S had escaped this fate for a long time - about 11 months. I'm also extra careful in it to give cars in front extra room so rocks they kick up are less likely to hit me.

This Monday, I was in the left lane cruising along and a commuter bus moved over in front of me so he could pass a truck. He jumped over closer to the front of me than I would've approached if I'd been following him. As he moved, I heard the fateful TICK! sound of a rock hitting glass. Sure enough just above my center of vision, a 1/4" long crack.

That was bad enough, and I've been waiting for that crack to grow to cross the glass once it gets some hot/cold cycles. Then today as I was coming home, in the left lane about 75mph with some traffic, some asshat in a Chrysler Concorde comes hauling ass up the right lane trying to pass as many people as possible. He wasn't going to get anywhere as there were about 5 cars in front of me. He got just in front of me, hit the turn signal, jumped into my lane, and hit the brakes, causing me to brake hard. As he crossed in front of me, again TICK! and I see on the passenger side a 3/8-1/2" crack in the glass.

I pointed at the crack, flipped him the bird, and a WTF? shoulder shrug. He just kept tailgating the car in front of him. I prayed to the god of kharma for him to get free of traffic and go past a CHiP at 85. Didn't happen unfortunately.

So I'm expecting to need a new windshield in the not distant future. Drowning my sorrow in a glass of wine now.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I added glass coverage to my insurance after the first windshield rock chip, which came in handy, since I got another rock chip one week after I got the windshield replaced.
TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just get them fixed before they spread. I got a crack that is probably 10 inches long the looks like an 'L' starting at the top of the rear view mirror and propagating down. Got a roadside guy to put the adhesive in the crack and it hasn't propagated any further and is significantly less visible than before.

And honestly, these windshields are super thin. It was going to happen sooner or later. No reason to replace it.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I had to have one replaced, my local glass place charged me $430. There are aftermarket companies making them now so they are only going to get cheaper. The 1/4 inch spot could have possibly been drilled, doubtful that the 1/2 inch one can be.

People drive like idiots, best way to avoid people moving over in front of you is to not ride in the left lane. If you drive in a snow state the chances of rocks flying at your windshield is high, just one of the downfalls.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupedUpSubie View Post
People drive like idiots, best way to avoid people moving over in front of you is to not ride in the left lane. If you drive in a snow state the chances of rocks flying at your windshield is high, just one of the downfalls.
Funny thing is, I try to be extra courteous and move right whenever it makes sense. I try to play by the golden rule, so since I hate people sitting in front of me putting along, I generally move right whenever I'm not passing others.

I'm going to call the glass guys I've used before and see if either or both can be epoxied. They did that on the Xterra on a spot and it has stayed the same for a few years now.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
BobRickel

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I live just off of one of the main route across the state here in Florida. There are always lots of trucks traveling the road and I have had about 5 stone cracked windshields over the years. Luckily here in Florida a cracked windshield is considered a safety hazard and insurance companies are required to replace them for free with no deductibles.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote