follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage

Ordered a suede wrap and did the wheel up. Well worth the effort!!! If you don't want to splurge on a new wheel, this is the way to go.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #16
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Nice build man, next time you're over in Japan hit me up!
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #17
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba View Post
Nice build man, next time you're over in Japan hit me up!
ABSOLUTELY!!! I hope to go back sometime to see my homestay parents at some point. Right now I am currently finishing up my Bachelors. SOON THOUGH. SOON.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #18
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
All that backstory and incredible trip to Japan and sitting in a GT 86 and then "until I upgrade to a porsche when I am 35 or so"

DA FUCK?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
lextrueno (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #19
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
All that backstory and incredible trip to Japan and sitting in a GT 86 and then "until I upgrade to a porsche when I am 35 or so"

DA FUCK?!
He's a man with a plan
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #20
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post

DA FUCK?!
Hahahaha we will see! I love 911 turbos and I do think that this is a great car but it does have its limits. My friends all have Porsche's and GTRs. I'm often left to eat dust. Eventually I catch up but I would like some more refined drivers cars in my life. I love experiencing cars. So if me going turbo isn't enough then I will look to upgrade. I didn't say i would get rid of my FRS though! :P

Last edited by lextrueno; 03-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.
lextrueno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lextrueno For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #21
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextrueno View Post
I didn't say i would get rid of my FRS though! :P

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
lextrueno (03-02-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #22
lextrueno

Garage
So a few changes happened. I got rid of my Valentis.... They were fakes, apparantly..... I didn't really care about that but it seems like everyone has them nowadays and they lost their appeal. I decided to pick up a pair of buddyclubs since I saw a picture on instagram that made me go "OOHHHHH YEAHHHHH THAT LOOKS GEWDDDDDDDDDAAHHHH"

I thought they looked sooooo good. Always liked them but hated the price tag. Also since no one in my area had a set, I decided to be the unique one. I was hoping to find an amber JDM set but its hard to find those... I was lucky enough to find a set locally!

Also I got a new exhaust..... Spec D..... which itself is a funny story. So I was looking for exhausts on ebay, something used.. And I found a listing from a furniture warehouse selling a Spec D tuning exhaust for auction. Starting at $0.99.... The box had been damage in shipping and somehow was auctioned off to the warehouse. They didn't know what they had and so I paid a little over 150 new, shipped to my house. I will say this exhaust sounds better than the invidia N1 in my opinion. But the build quality makes me cringe and die a little. They left a "whisker" on the y pipe. Basically where the filler was bonded to the weld site and just cut off instead of taken off..... So its ehhhh. Welds themselves are not high quality but somewhat functional. And for 150 bucks new.... I made out like a thief. If you can find yourself one for this cheap then go for it.

VIDEO OF EXHAUST NOTE: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDPM7yLO...n-by=lextrueno

I'll be ditching the faux carbon fiber hood. I put it on to see if I would like a carbon fiber hood in the future..... I don't care for the looks. Maybe if it had some functional vents I would get one. But for now, its not a priority. I don't really care for the looks and its too "boy racer" for me.

Ive been talking to a local tire and wheel guy in the area and he is finding me a set of Enkei TS10s in gold with Pilot Super Sports. If anyone has any tire compounds they would recommend, I would appreciate it.

Ill be getting some coils as well this summer to match the upgraded wheels and tires. Right now I am looking at HKS SPs, Tein Mono Flex, and if I can find a set for cheap, Ohlins.... Exciting!!!!

I promise I can be cool....

Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 AM   #23
lextrueno

Garage
Vordoven Wheels

I hit a milestone! I ORDERED SOME NEW WHEELS.

A week ago I decided to go with something more unique rather than track dedicated wheels. The sacrifice was weight for unique looks. Honestly I don't mind it all that much. The car looks fantastic and it doesn't see all that much track time anyway. I would love to have more money to buy some more expensive wheels but I compromised and was able to spend more on the tires. The wheels are Vordovens 17x8 +35 weight is somewhere near 20.5-21 lbs. I didn't weigh them so I don't have an exact number. I used the money I saved to buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 245/40/17. Getting them to the shop was a tight fit....

After they had the tires mounted, I got excited..... They looked great and look even better in person. Sorta meaty but at the same time I didn't have to worry about rubbing issues.

Picture of car before.....

AFTER *ooohhhhh*

Stay tuned for more! Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by lextrueno; 06-08-2019 at 02:24 AM.
lextrueno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lextrueno For This Useful Post:
aslanteye (06-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #24
lextrueno

Garage
Man. It has been a hot minute since I've uploaded. Let me break down what has happened since then.... TLDR AT BOTTOM. I sold the car because I was in love with a girl and planning to marry her. Priorities shifted and when money got tight, I sold the car. This was due to me starting a Masters degree in engineering and didn't want to have the stress of school plus financial stress. But also things were breaking like the washing machine and furnace etc etc etc. Things were going well but she broke my heart hard core the day after my birthday. I have the best luck with women... She was my best friend for 3 years and we dated for almost 2 years when she broke up with me at the start of September. I didn't think something like this would ever happen to us and so it hit me like a semi truck. *QUEUE GREEN DAY AND START CRYING* WAKEEEEEEEEEE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDSSSSSSSS. I was planning on talking to a jeweler around this time today because I wanted to propose near November. I dodged a bullet but it left me in pieces. I am still trying to piece myself together even now.

So what did I do 2 or 3 weeks after she broke up with me? Called the new owner who had it for half a year to see if he wanted to sell it back. We worked out a deal after I told him what happened and he felt bad for me. Turns out he wanted to trade it in for a new Jaguar F Type so I got it for a good deal since I offered more than what the dealer was going to fork over. So I have close to 1k for an exhaust since I didn't buy a ring. I put in an order for a Greddy Revolution RS since its a 3 inch big fat can that sits on the drivers side. I like the drivers side mounted because it makes me think of GTRs and MK4 Supras. Pretty exciting stuff for sure.

My goals for the car have changed just like my relationship status. At first I wanted to keep it stock/NA when I had it for close to 2 years before selling it. Now I want to make a deathtrap that spits fire and can put other cars to shame on the street and on the track. Goal is to make 350WHP or whatever close to that number that is reliable. Tuning will be the key to what makes that happen. Eventually I might build the motor but right now that would be too excessive. Also I am wanting to get out to the track. Something I've wanted but didn't have the funds for. UNTIL NOW.

LexTrueno's Grocery List:

JDL Turbo kit or Used Full Race Kit: Garrett GTX/BorgW EFR turbo
ACT SB7-XTSS XT/Perf Street Clutch
AEM 30-4900 Wideband Failsafe
Lots of alcohol to numb the pain of reality
Mishimoto Oil Cooler? Open to alternatives/suggestions
Radium Single PCV Catch Can

TLDR; Sold the car. Girl I wanted to propose to broke up with me. Bought back car. Still sad about it but I am going to throw my emotions and money at it.

I'm surprised at how this post has sorta become more of a therapeutic journal than a build thread for me. I want to say thank you to everyone that reached out to me in person and over messages. It is really cool to have a fraternal feeling among enthusiasts. I'll be at TougeFest this year so if you see my car, say hi if I'm near it! I'd love to meet some more of you guys.

And welcome to version 2.0 of this build!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #25
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, quite a story there. Life is bittersweet sometimes; everything happens for a reason (cliche, I know) and sometimes we don't see the reason until years down the road.

Congrats on getting the car back, I like the wheels and color combo.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
lextrueno (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Sucks to hear but that's awesome you were able to get the car back. That's definitely a rare occurrence, especially considering the new owner had it for all of a few months.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
lextrueno (10-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #27
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Wow, quite a story there. Life is bittersweet sometimes; everything happens for a reason (cliche, I know) and sometimes we don't see the reason until years down the road.

Congrats on getting the car back, I like the wheels and color combo.
Thanks for the compliments! I am hoping to get something more gold and lighter. The Vordoven's I have a discontinued and are heavy. So not ideal for a track setup. I might go to Wedsports or Enkei Rpf1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Sucks to hear but that's awesome you were able to get the car back. That's definitely a rare occurrence, especially considering the new owner had it for all of a few months.
It is definitely a unique situation. Sadly one that I wish I wasn't in/had to deal with in the first place. But you live and learn. I felt like I was the best boyfriend I could be and there is nothing I can do about it. Only thing for me now is making my car a track car.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #28
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Nice choice on the single exit exhaust. I recently went single exit and I love the look and sound!

Quote:
I'm old and lazy