follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
BloodyshoedFR-S

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram( Asphalt)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust Snapping noise under heavy acceleration and cold start

I just got a new catback exhaust a few months ago, the Spec D N1 knock off. After I got it I noticed that there was a weird almost snapping noise under moderate to hard acceleration but only between around 2,700 rpm and stopped at around 4,000 rpm. When I am cruising and accelerate it makes that snapping noise again. It isn't like a Honda rasp. It's a strange sound that I never had before the exhaust. I now have a WORKS Motorsports stage 2 turbo kit on the car. I was hoping that would help with the snapping noise but didn't help. The headers I bought and dual resonated front pipe didn't help either. The car performs great but that snapping noise drives me nuts. Has anyone heard anything about this dilemma before? If so, what fixes it?
BloodyshoedFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyshoedFR-S View Post
I just got a new catback exhaust a few months ago, the Spec D N1 knock off. After I got it I noticed that there was a weird almost snapping noise under moderate to hard acceleration but only between around 2,700 rpm and stopped at around 4,000 rpm. When I am cruising and accelerate it makes that snapping noise again. It isn't like a Honda rasp. It's a strange sound that I never had before the exhaust. I now have a WORKS Motorsports stage 2 turbo kit on the car. I was hoping that would help with the snapping noise but didn't help. The headers I bought and dual resonated front pipe didn't help either. The car performs great but that snapping noise drives me nuts. Has anyone heard anything about this dilemma before? If so, what fixes it?
Well now, that's got to be aggravating ..

So, if you take that cat back off, does the "snapping" noise go away?

Is the "snapping" noise like in the exhaust note or more like an exhaust leak?

Can you take and post a video?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well now, that's got to be aggravating ..

So, if you take that cat back off, does the "snapping" noise go away?

Is the "snapping" noise like in the exhaust note or more like an exhaust leak?

Can you take and post a video?

humfrz
It's definitely not an exhaust leak as I have gone over every gasket on the car and felt for leaks everywhere. I will go take a video right now
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
It's definitely not an exhaust leak as I have gone over every gasket on the car and felt for leaks everywhere. I will go take a video right now
Okay I uploaded it to youtube because I couldn't do it straight from my phone. Sorry about the wind noise but you can still hear the snapping in the exhaust note.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 AM   #5
humfrz

Quote:
Okay I uploaded it to youtube because I couldn't do it straight from my phone. Sorry about the wind noise but you can still hear the snapping in the exhaust note.
Well, my ears can't separate out your snapping noise from the wind noise ..

You say it also makes the snapping noise on a cold start. I suggest you make another video at a cold start .. that will eliminate the wind noise.

humfrz
Old 06-27-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
Well, my ears can't separate out your snapping noise from the wind noise ..

You say it also makes the snapping noise on a cold start. I suggest you make another video at a cold start .. that will eliminate the wind noise.

humfrz
I'm sorry. Hopefully this is a better video. You can especially hear it at 33 seconds.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:08 AM   #7
humfrz

Quote:
I'm sorry. Hopefully this is a better video. You can especially hear it at 33 seconds.
Good video. I can clearly hear that "snapping" sound (noise).

It sort of sounds like to me an old 1940s car with a straight pipe, not a pleasing sound.

My only suggestion is to switch out the cat back with another muffler to see if that will keep that sound from coming out.

Others will want to know what type of header and front pipe you are running. Knowing this may help sort out the sound.

I'm not an exhaust expert. For all I know, that's the way a Spec D N1 knock off cat back sounds ..

Maybe help will be along soon.

humfrz
Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #8
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
Good video. I can clearly hear that "snapping" sound (noise).

It sort of sounds like to me an old 1940s car with a straight pipe, not a pleasing sound.

My only suggestion is to switch out the cat back with another muffler to see if that will keep that sound from coming out.

Others will want to know what type of header and front pipe you are running. Knowing this may help sort out the sound.

I'm not an exhaust expert. For all I know, that's the way a Spec D N1 knock off cat back sounds ..

Maybe help will be along soon.

humfrz
I will try putting on my old exhaust which is just stock with a muffler delete. I got the spec d because I like the tips and didn't want to pay 600+ dollars for different exhaust tips. I looked into getting just the tips welded on but it would've been a pain to make them fit. If anyone wants to know, I am running Tsudo UEL Headers, I have no overpipe because the WORKS turbo kit uses a pipe that retains the factory header output position to feed the turbo. I have a 1320 Performance dual resonated test pipe. No cats in the system. If all else fails I may have to just weld in a few more resonators.
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodyshoedFR-S For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-27-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
sid94

Drives: 2013 frs
Possible direct injection seals taking a shit..

There was a thread with a video on the noise it makes that I can’t find now of all times and I know there’s another thread with video on how to replace them just do a quick search. If it is your problem it’s fairly easy to change.

Also what serpentine belt do you have? I’ve seen some really shitty belts at work that cause an electrical discharge and make the same snapping noise. Doubt that’s your problem but hey anything helps when you’re in the dark right lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid94 View Post
Possible direct injection seals taking a shit..

There was a thread with a video on the noise it makes that I can’t find now of all times and I know there’s another thread with video on how to replace them just do a quick search. If it is your problem it’s fairly easy to change.

Also what serpentine belt do you have? I’ve seen some really shitty belts at work that cause an electrical discharge and make the same snapping noise. Doubt that’s your problem but hey anything helps when you’re in the dark right lol

I'll look into the direct injection seals. I don't think it is that because it only started after I put on the spec d exhaust. I also just have the oem serpentine belt as far as I know. It had 50k miles on it when I bought the car so I'm assuming the belt has been replaced at least once.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #11
sid94

Quote:
I'll look into the direct injection seals. I don't think it is that because it only started after I put on the spec d exhaust. I also just have the oem serpentine belt as far as I know. It had 50k miles on it when I bought the car so I'm assuming the belt has been replaced at least once.

Probably not nowadays belts last a lot longer then before and as for the correlation between the exhaust and the noise it could just be coincidence I’ll look around and see if I find the thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #12
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
Probably not nowadays belts last a lot longer then before and as for the correlation between the exhaust and the noise it could just be coincidence I’ll look around and see if I find the thread

I'm also going to try and put on my stock catback with muffler delete to make sure it's the spec d exhaust not something else
Old 06-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
sid94

Exhaust Snapping noise under heavy acceleration and cold start

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...Injector+seals

Post number 6 has the video I was talking about where you can hear the noise

Old 06-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #14
BloodyshoedFR-S

Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...Injector+seals

Post number 6 has the video I was talking about where you can hear the noise

Well I'm happy to say that definitely is not the noise I am hearing. I posted a link to a YouTube video of the noise. Could you take a look at it? See if maybe it reminds you of anything?