follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2020, 12:37 AM   #29
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front sway bar links with KW-based coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckable View Post
Yes, that’s correct. Connect the endlinks to the sway bar, load the suspension, and then adjust the endlinks so that they will slide right on to the coilover mount with as little resistance as possible. Then, torque them down to spec. You dont want any preload on the endlinks if possible. Also, obviously make sure that you’re safe during the whole procedure. It’s sometimes tricky to load the suspension with just jack stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you and yes, i made sure i did it the safe way. I did this and it was a big difference with the length of the endlinks initially on both side much better. But I thought this was the source of the noise i was hearing in low speed. Like clunking sound not metal to metal sound though. It is coming from the front. everything is tight and torqued to spec. Can binding springs can cause sound? Coilovers using stock top hats from a 2017.

Last edited by tintumz22; 06-15-2020 at 01:02 AM.
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:34 AM   #30
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
That’s exactly why I added that disclaimer. With that said, I have used jackstands under the control arms half a dozen or more times, and done it safely. The ideal setup would be with the car elevated and the 4 wheels/tires fully supported on turntables or platforms, or a drive-on lift.

I understand that, but if the OP doesn't have that kind of experience and maybe someone there who does I wouldn't do it.

I've done it myself and it's a bit sketchy. I'm building wheel cribs just to avoid doing it again.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #31
Chuckable

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintumz22 View Post
Thank you and yes, i made sure i did it the safe way. I did this and it was a big difference with the length of the endlinks initially on both side much better. But I thought this was the source of the noise i was hearing in low speed. Like clunking sound not metal to metal sound though. It is coming from the front. everything is tight and torqued to spec. Can binding springs can cause sound? Coilovers using stock top hats from a 2017.

Glad it worked and you were able to do it safely. It’s tough to isolate coilover noise.

Can you isolate the noise to a specific road condition? We know it’s low speed, but is that while driving on a smooth road? Over bumps? On one side or the other?

Did you remove the sway bar subframes (for lack of a better description) when you installed the sway bar? Some people have accidentally stripped the threads. That might be possible.

Are there any witness marks on the chassis near the sway bar endlinks?

Are the dust boots maybe hitting anything on compression?

Etc.

Might be worth a call to the coilover mfr to see if they have any ideas, and if not, try a local shop to help diagnose.

Chuckable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckable For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #32
tintumz22

Quote:
Glad it worked and you were able to do it safely. It’s tough to isolate coilover noise.

Can you isolate the noise to a specific road condition? We know it’s low speed, but is that while driving on a smooth road? Over bumps? On one side or the other?

Did you remove the sway bar subframes (for lack of a better description) when you installed the sway bar? Some people have accidentally stripped the threads. That might be possible.

Are there any witness marks on the chassis near the sway bar endlinks?

Are the dust boots maybe hitting anything on compression?

Etc.

Might be worth a call to the coilover mfr to see if they have any ideas, and if not, try a local shop to help diagnose.

It was not my first time working on the car so I get the safety part what to watch out for.

it is in low speed (less the10-15 miles/hr). on smooth road and small bumps. I don't see any marks on any of the suspension parts. It is more audible in the driver's side front.

I'm on stock sway bars so I did not removed it. Just endlinks and coilovers.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #33
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Are you using camber plates?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #34
tintumz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Are you using camber plates?

- Andrew
No. I'm on stock top mounts both front and rears.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #35
Racecomp Engineering

If you're sure your endlinks, top mounts, and coilovers are in good shape, I would double check your installation and give your front suspension a once over. Top mount nut could be loose for example. I'd also check your front control arm bushings.

But if your endlinks use spherical bearings, I would try to see if those are loose.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #36
tintumz22

Quote:
If you're sure your endlinks, top mounts, and coilovers are in good shape, I would double check your installation and give your front suspension a once over. Top mount nut could be loose for example. I'd also check your front control arm bushings.

But if your endlinks use spherical bearings, I would try to see if those are loose.

- Andrew
I checked everything. All nuts and bolts are tight. Endlink spherical bearings is tight too. I think the noise i'm hearing is from the plastic spring perch and the main spring of the front coilover. Is it okay to put a little grease between there?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #37
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintumz22 View Post
I checked everything. All nuts and bolts are tight. Endlink spherical bearings is tight too. I think the noise i'm hearing is from the plastic spring perch and the main spring of the front coilover. Is it okay to put a little grease between there?
That's not usually where I'd expect to hear noise from over bumps...that's more of a turning the steering wheel at slow speeds and hearing a "sprong" noise.

I would try installing OEM endlinks and seeing if the noise goes away as a first step.

- Andrew
tintumz22 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #38
tintumz22

Quote:
That's not usually where I'd expect to hear noise from over bumps...that's more of a turning the steering wheel at slow speeds and hearing a "sprong" noise.

I would try installing OEM endlinks and seeing if the noise goes away as a first step.

- Andrew
I'll try that. But in any case that I'm be hearing that "sprong" noise, what is the remedy for that?
Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #39
Racecomp Engineering

That's fairly rare on KWs on stock top mounts, but lubricating the spring perches would help that.

- Andrew
tintumz22 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #40
pslater

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
That's fairly rare on KWs on stock top mounts, but lubricating the spring perches would help that.

- Andrew

hi andrew,

i just installed some lightly-used Tarmac 0's and while the performance is awesome, i am also getting some odd noises.

when the car is cold, i will get some weird groaning when turning the wheel maybe the first 5-7 times, and it's clunking over bumps/imperfections at very low speed. when the car is warmed up, the groaning and clunking goes away.

historically this latter noise has always been a slightly-loose top mount nut, but it's definitely tight. i do suspect that the mount is tired (it came used with the coilovers), so i have some Group N mounts on order. i suspect that will cure that. i also have some adjustable end links on order as the stock links are quite close to the lower front control arms.

as for the groaning... it does seem like it's the sound of the spring moving; shouldn't the bearing in the top mount allow the spring stay put? (i.e., the entire assembly turns.) if the spring is indeed turning, i guess a torrington bearing would work in between the spring and the perch, but i've never had to do that before with stock strut mounts (always with spherical bearing camber/caster plates, though).

this is on a 2018 BRZ RS (Performance Pack up here in canada) with roughly 9K miles on it, so everything else is super-fresh. the nice slotting of the upper strut housing bolt holes allowed me to dial in some negative camber, and that coupled with the spring rate/damping harmony have really amplified the joy i get from this car. thanks for the great setup!

peter
pslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #41
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslater View Post
hi andrew,

i just installed some lightly-used Tarmac 0's and while the performance is awesome, i am also getting some odd noises.

when the car is cold, i will get some weird groaning when turning the wheel maybe the first 5-7 times, and it's clunking over bumps/imperfections at very low speed. when the car is warmed up, the groaning and clunking goes away.

historically this latter noise has always been a slightly-loose top mount nut, but it's definitely tight. i do suspect that the mount is tired (it came used with the coilovers), so i have some Group N mounts on order. i suspect that will cure that. i also have some adjustable end links on order as the stock links are quite close to the lower front control arms.

as for the groaning... it does seem like it's the sound of the spring moving; shouldn't the bearing in the top mount allow the spring stay put? (i.e., the entire assembly turns.) if the spring is indeed turning, i guess a torrington bearing would work in between the spring and the perch, but i've never had to do that before with stock strut mounts (always with spherical bearing camber/caster plates, though).

this is on a 2018 BRZ RS (Performance Pack up here in canada) with roughly 9K miles on it, so everything else is super-fresh. the nice slotting of the upper strut housing bolt holes allowed me to dial in some negative camber, and that coupled with the spring rate/damping harmony have really amplified the joy i get from this car. thanks for the great setup!

peter
If the top mount is indeed a little old and crusty, that could also cause some of the groaning while turning the wheel. Start there and let me know how it goes.

- Andrew
pslater (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #42
pslater

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
If the top mount is indeed a little old and crusty, that could also cause some of the groaning while turning the wheel. Start there and let me know how it goes.

- Andrew

will do. thanks andrew.
pslater is offline   Reply With Quote