follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
snpie

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ series.Gray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Post backfire while stock

I couldn't really find this question anywhere else but if it is and if someone could redirect me thank you

but I recently bought a 2013 frs that to my knowledge is completely stock except for a y pipe welded on where the stock mufflers were at. but during down shifts it pops extremely load like gunshots could this be a sign of the car running rich or is that the y pipe doing its thing.

snpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
soundman98
threadwrecker

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 7,735 Times in 3,869 Posts
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
i would find someone to connect a tuner to it to check if it's been tuned. if the last guy did the y-pipe, more than likely they modded the ECU with a backfire tune.

and i'd be extremely skeptical on why they unloaded it as-is-- my initial impression is no one would unload a car they modded the way they wanted it unless they messed something up.

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 7,745 Times in 4,005 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i would find someone to connect a tuner to it to check if it's been tuned. if the last guy did the y-pipe, more than likely they modded the ECU with a backfire tune.

and i'd be extremely skeptical on why they unloaded it as-is-- my initial impression is no one would unload a car they modded the way they wanted it unless they messed something up.
Agree on the first part.

On the second part, people get bored.. Would definitely recommend getting someone knowledgeable to look at it though. It might have other mods you don't know about.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
soundman98
threadwrecker

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 7,735 Times in 3,869 Posts
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
most people i know generally unload modded cars when they screw something up, or repairs become too expensive.

while some people are well enough off to unload cars because they're bored, no one i know is that affluent.

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
snpie

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ series.Gray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

The car was crashed and salvaged so I bought it off a guy who bought it and fixed the suspension maybe that would explain why it was "unloaded" as it is? and Thank you for your suggestion will try to take it to a near by shop!
snpie is offline   Reply With Quote