follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2016, 04:49 AM   #85
smudge

Drives: Supercharged GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkubed View Post
This is such an incredibly cool build. I love the whole project, right down to the color scheme. You mention configuring the ECU - what is that like on a completely swapped car like this? Do you even use an ECU from a twin, or do you grab one from a car that came with a 1UZ from the factory like an LS400/Celsior?
Completely standalone ECU and just figure out what pins on the bulkhead connector do what, then re-pin the new ECU to match everything up

Shouldn't be too long now before lots of
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smudge For This Useful Post:
gkubed (08-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #86
smudge

I feel an update is needed. Progress has been slow recently which has lead me to realise that I've been giving Nev a little bit too much of an easy ride and have put some pressure on him to get things finished

Whilst his work is absolutely top notch and he's a lovely guy, he's unfortunately a victim of his own success and has little projects popping up all the time which means he gets distracted from his larger projects like mine. Whilst I completely understand that he has to do these little bits to make money and keep his good reputation, I've made it clear that he needs to prioritise.

We agreed that he will make a list of what is left to do and also give me a deadline that he is comfortable with, which has been set for the end of October. If this deadline is missed, I have made it clear that I'll no longer be able to recommend his services and may even have to go as far as removing credit from him when it comes to the numerous magazine features which are lined up. He's recognised this and we're finally making some good progress again - fingers crossed for end of October!

One minor setback has been that we're using a 6 speed box from an E90 BMW instead of the typical 5 speed from an E46. Whilst the casing is almost identical, we've recently found that the flywheel is 10mm short of the clutch...10 sodding millimetres! So we need to jig up a new adapter plate linking the box and engine together, just 10mm thinner than before. Not a massive issue but still a small set back

Wiring is basically all done, so we're hoping to finally start the engine and commence testing in the next week or so
Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #87
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
I feel an update is needed. Progress has been slow recently which has lead me to realise that I've been giving Nev a little bit too much of an easy ride and have put some pressure on him to get things finished

Whilst his work is absolutely top notch and he's a lovely guy, he's unfortunately a victim of his own success and has little projects popping up all the time which means he gets distracted from his larger projects like mine. Whilst I completely understand that he has to do these little bits to make money and keep his good reputation, I've made it clear that he needs to prioritise.

We agreed that he will make a list of what is left to do and also give me a deadline that he is comfortable with, which has been set for the end of October. If this deadline is missed, I have made it clear that I'll no longer be able to recommend his services and may even have to go as far as removing credit from him when it comes to the numerous magazine features which are lined up. He's recognised this and we're finally making some good progress again - fingers crossed for end of October!

One minor setback has been that we're using a 6 speed box from an E90 BMW instead of the typical 5 speed from an E46. Whilst the casing is almost identical, we've recently found that the flywheel is 10mm short of the clutch...10 sodding millimetres! So we need to jig up a new adapter plate linking the box and engine together, just 10mm thinner than before. Not a massive issue but still a small set back

Wiring is basically all done, so we're hoping to finally start the engine and commence testing in the next week or so

Any updates?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #88
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Any updates?
So it's been a LONG 6 months since I last posted on here...having lots of trouble with the guy doing this build for me but I think we're near the end now

Link ECU guy is working on it this and next weekend to finalise mapping. Charger all mounted and pulleys/belt all worked out. Intercooler pipework being finished off this week

Fingers crossed we have it ready and on the road this April
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smudge For This Useful Post:
DustinS (04-11-2017), Sportsguy83 (04-11-2017)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:25 AM   #89
smudge

Massive delays caused by a number of issues which I won't go into...we finally seem to be getting somewhere and are now working on the best ECU solution that doesn't involve paying out over $5000 for the Motec

Custom supercharger bracket is all finished, boost pipe, plumbing, belt run and all hardware is now pretty much finished

Can't post anymore pics due to Photobucket's ransom demands, hoping to get a new image hosting solution sorted soon