follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2022, 10:12 PM   #71
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Indeed! That's why a second known good lamp must be used to verify the outlet. Cascade failures are a reality. Never trust new devices. Swaps with those already in service must be considered. Real-time signal monitoring is invaluable. Blah blah blah... I know I'm preaching to the choir.

@jeepmor, It occurred to me that fuel might be in play because the misfire happens above 6 kRPM. That also happens to be the speed threshold for closed-loop fueling. Coincidental? Dunno.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #72
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Yep, thinking I have may have dirty injectors. I've felt little stumbles on ramp up since I put the SC on. Intermittent, but it feels odd once in a while like it's stuttering when 5k and above. Rare, but have noticed it. Thought the battery was it and proper charge to the system.

If you have have a fueling opinion, do not be afraid to share. State your theory and we'll discuss it.
Beat me to it. Experiment with strictly one change at a time. Disconnecting the battery dumps all the learned compensation. That may also be considered while troubleshooting, or even as a tool. Pops code? Clear it, disconnect the battery, and drive again without touching anything else.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:18 AM   #73
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Indeed! That's why a second known good lamp must be used to verify the outlet. Cascade failures are a reality. Never trust new devices. Swaps with those already in service must be considered. Real-time signal monitoring is invaluable. Blah blah blah... I know I'm preaching to the choir.

@jeepmor, It occurred to me that fuel might be in play because the misfire happens above 6 kRPM. That also happens to be the speed threshold for closed-loop fueling. Coincidental? Dunno.
Bone stock besides the SC and the new coil testing the problem. Was looking for a simple fix on my own before taking it in to a shop. Was wondering about injectors but there isn't much info on this particular code. But makes sense to be starved a bit at top end if dirty. I do have over 100k miles.

I do appreciate the input.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:05 AM   #74
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Beat me to it. Experiment with strictly one change at a time. Disconnecting the battery dumps all the learned compensation. That may also be considered while troubleshooting, or even as a tool. Pops code? Clear it, disconnect the battery, and drive again without touching anything else.
This is how I've been doing it, one step at a time. Considering my 106k miles, injectors being dirty makes a lot of sense. Bought some in tank cleaner and studying up on injectors. Looks straight forward, injectors are spendy though to start slinging parts at it when they likely just need cleaned.

Gadgets needed are less than an hour of shop rate, may give it a try. An injector cycler, cleaner adapters, cleaner and maybe a small ultrasonic bath. Saw one video where a guy had saved old injectors he had to replace and couldn't get to clean with the spray through method. Cycled the injectors in the US bath in the cleaners and had them cleared in minutes. Was impressive.

But getting a log sure would be nice to get in front of the tuner types. I'm sure the signal is there. Little more work to do personally before I pull the shop trigger. Just watched a video on the GDI system, if I have to go in there, definitely going to a shop.

Last edited by jeepmor; 10-03-2022 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #75
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
This is how I've been doing it, one step at a time. Considering my 106k miles, injectors being dirty makes a lot of sense. Bought some in tank cleaner and studying up on injectors. Looks straight forward, injectors are spendy though to start slinging parts at it when they likely just need cleaned.

Gadgets needed are less than an hour of shop rate, may give it a try. An injector cycler, cleaner adapters, cleaner and maybe a small ultrasonic bath. Saw one video where a guy had saved old injectors he had to replace and couldn't get to clean with the spray through method. Cycled the injectors in the US bath in the cleaners and had them cleared in minutes. Was impressive.

But getting a log sure would be nice to get in front of the tuner types. I'm sure the signal is there. Little more work to do personally before I pull the shop trigger. Just watched a video on the GDI system, if I have to go in there, definitely going to a shop.
If you want to DYI, Counter Space Garage offers PI and GDI injector cleaning. Pull them out, put them in the mail, and a couple of hundred $ later you have clean and tested injectors. Then, the other 1/2 of the fun is getting the DI's back in without mucking up those wonderful teflon seals. They don't just slide in like in the VW videos. It is doable.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #76
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
If you want to DYI, Counter Space Garage offers PI and GDI injector cleaning. Pull them out, put them in the mail, and a couple of hundred $ later you have clean and tested injectors. Then, the other 1/2 of the fun is getting the DI's back in without mucking up those wonderful teflon seals. They don't just slide in like in the VW videos. It is doable.
Going to a shop soon to try the cleaning process that doesn't remove them from the car first. The DI injectors are a lot of work to get to.

And by the time I do that, rent a car to bridge the downtime gap, and then pay a few hundred to have them cleaned and flow matched, I'm pretty close to money ahead just buying new injectors and having them done.

But there's the fact that there are three different specs on the DI injectors, and you can't tell which you have (they do all match per car) until you have them out and read the number on the side of the body. Oye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (10-05-2022), Ultramaroon (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #77
jeepmor

Ah snap, watching this video confirms I likely have a direct injector issue due to the port injection turning off at high rpms. Yoinks. Really hoping the injector cleaning prevents the anticipated work of yanking them out and replacing, because I'll do all four, keep the old ones, service them, and stash for later.

Am I so far off topic should I move to a new post or this process of chasing a misfire down adding value? I appreciate people keep talking, but I am way off OP's topic of coils.

Moved conversation here https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...30#post3551030

Last edited by jeepmor; 10-10-2022 at 07:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-06-2022)