follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #29
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
You don't have to do the coolant part. The can will work just fine without it. I believe you even have to order the coolant kit separately. In my case the supercharger install required that I disconnect the coolant lines from the throttle body so rather than just cap the lines (caps almost always fail over time) I just ran longer coolant lines to the AOS. I do not have the additional parts to drain the caught oil back to the engine. That's the main purpose of the coolant kit, to warm the catch can so the oil can flow back to the engine more easily.
-Matt
I ended up getting everything. Aos, coolant add on, drain back, and cam plate.

I know it's not really needed here in Texas but when it gets cold here i want the peace of mind.

Next mod on the list is the Jackson racing oil/coolant radiator, and I should be set on engine supporting mods till I get the JSRC.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #30
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I really like my RacerX. The mount is slick and easy to empty.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #31
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/855...RoCGO4QAvD_BwE

I like the Moroso can. Reputable brand, platform specific mounting solution, easy drain feature included. Price is decent. I would recommend a dual setup if youre going boost though.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #32
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If your going the A/O route IMHO go with Crawford Performance yes they cost a little more but there are often group buys and sales. They are high quality and have awesome r&d as they have been working with Subaru for years. I have had their parts on several of my wrxs in the past and loved it. A/O will help with longevity but for the best longevity. Breaking in your car properly first then upgrade to a 0w30 or 5w30 full synthetic engine oil brand up to you. Then IMHO oil cooler with thermal plate this will give you the best longevity. As you will stabilize oil tempature and pressure with the 30weight you will increase engine protection. This will give you a good longevity even if you see a few track days.
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #33
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The mitsu I use to drive had so much blow by that ended up in the intake that I almost bought a catch can.

Has anyone ever had a dealer blame the catch can as causing engine problems or a warranty issue because of it?

I have a stock engine, and I push the car pretty hard on streets/freeways. Anyone with a stock engine get a lot of crap in your intake?

If yes, how often do you have to clean your intake manifold?
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #34
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/855...RoCGO4QAvD_BwE

I like the Moroso can. Reputable brand, platform specific mounting solution, easy drain feature included. Price is decent. I would recommend a dual setup if youre going boost though.
+1 for the Moroso can. Very well made, cheaper than other brands & works just as well for N/A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
Has anyone ever had a dealer blame the catch can as causing engine problems or a warranty issue because of it?

I have a stock engine, and I push the car pretty hard on streets/freeways. Anyone with a stock engine get a lot of crap in your intake?

If yes, how often do you have to clean your intake manifold?
Intake line isn't as much as the PCV line on my car. Just vent the intake one to air.. IMO it isn't worth the price of a catch can for the little amount of oil that goes through there on N/A applications.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #35
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Paying hundreds of dollars for something you can make with like $20 of home depot parts...lol
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #36
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I removed my catch can which literally caught a few drops per week which would sit in the indicator capillary.

No idea why some people catch cups full of oil. I accumulated maybe less than a thimble in a season. Certainly not harmful to the intake manifold and it is burnt in the exhaust.
Also, put in an STI PCV just before switching back. That too might just be a waste but no harm done either way.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:21 AM   #37
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I really like my RacerX. The mount is slick and easy to empty.
This, the looks of it, and it's price. I also really enjoy mine. I feel for my daily driven, track maybe twice a year habits, it does it's job well. I didn't need anything crazy.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote