follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #15
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thank you both.

I assume you need a laptop connected to log with Ecutec (unless using their new Bluetooth connector)? Hence the question, since Tactrix would be a more compact solution.

Another question:
If starting out from an unlocked tune file which already includes Racerom, is it then Is it necessary to purchase Racerom to edit said tune (including modifying the Racerom features)?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #16
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Thank you both.

I assume you need a laptop connected to log with Ecutec (unless using their new Bluetooth connector)? Hence the question, since Tactrix would be a more compact solution.

Another question:
If starting out from an unlocked tune file which already includes Racerom, is it then Is it necessary to purchase Racerom to edit said tune (including modifying the Racerom features)?
Afaik the new bluetooth dongle only logs to apple phone\tablet it doesnt flash tunes and its extra on top of normsl cable kit. And you have to have tune in ecu with letest v9.1 i think racerom features added.

You get racerm patchs for roms with basic proecu kit you can add racerom patch to base roms but you xan only edit or see, mode 1 maps and base features likr c ffs auto blip and per gear rpm limits. You cannot access custom maps , mode 2 3 4 maps or any other racerom features which i suspect includes tge setup of fancy blutooth features
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:12 AM   #17
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ECU Connect is now available for Android too. You do indeed need RaceROM 9.1 patched ROMs.

On the standard dongle license (End User) you have access to:
Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced classified maps
Add RaceROM patches to base ROMs
Edit launch control, Flat Foot Shift and Aito-Blip on patched files

The RaceROM upgrade gives you access to:
Fuel and ignition timing maps for modes 2-4
Custom Maps

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #18
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
ECU Connect is now available for Android too. You do indeed need RaceROM 9.1 patched ROMs.

On the standard dongle license (End User) you have access to:
Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced classified maps
Add RaceROM patches to base ROMs
Edit launch control, Flat Foot Shift and Aito-Blip on patched files

The RaceROM upgrade gives you access to:
Fuel and ignition timing maps for modes 2-4
Custom Maps

Thanks steve

Do you get access to set up blutooth app features on base proecu kit ? Assume you need custom msps to set up pops and map change though ?

Assume the logging via blutoith jyst works on eacerom 9.1?

But other fance stuff you would need racerom full access ?

If it now works on andriod thats great might even think about one :-)

You recon they will flash with it ever ? , Looks like a micro usb on back end of. Blutooth dongle is that used for anything ?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #19
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Thanks steve

Do you get access to set up blutooth app features on base proecu kit ? Assume you need custom msps to set up pops and map change though ?

Assume the logging via blutoith jyst works on eacerom 9.1?

But other fance stuff you would need racerom full access ?

If it now works on andriod thats great might even think about one :-)

You recon they will flash with it ever ? , Looks like a micro usb on back end of. Blutooth dongle is that used for anything ?
I've heard that there is an updated unit coming out that will allow you to flash via the laptop using the BT device. However I guess it requires the same form of security as the dongle to allow flashing from a phone or tablet. Whether they will get BT flashing from ProECU though....

The App is designed for 9.1 (on the BRZ) only. I'd imagine you get just the OEM parameters if you use an earlier version, I'm sure that was confirmed on here before.

I can't confirm what the End Users get access to with regards to the Custom Parameter Settings. I would assume it's RaceROM upgrade at a minimum as you use the parameters as inputs into custom maps etc.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #20
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Thanks a lot for all your answers.

My car is running really well as it is. Is it worthwhile switching to Ecutek? Are there any tools in in the Ecutek software that makes tuning easier compared to Romraider? Or is it the same footwork required?

It seems like I could copy over my present tune to Ecutek with just purchasing a cable and a license. Would I have any benefit except for the gimmicks like proper FFS? And would it be better to hold off and see if the cable will be completely replaceable with the BT adapter?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
Kodename47

Quote:

My car is running really well as it is. Is it worthwhile switching to Ecutek? Are there any tools in in the Ecutek software that makes tuning easier compared to Romraider? Or is it the same footwork required?

It seems like I could copy over my present tune to Ecutek with just purchasing a cable and a license. Would I have any benefit except for the gimmicks like proper FFS? And would it be better to hold off and see if the cable will be completely replaceable with the BT adapter?
I like the EcuTek log viewer, but no extra tools are built in. The aids come in the custom maps as you can use these to save time using multiple maps or variable settings.

If the updated BT device does come to production, I could see it replacing the cable, as it would inevitably provide laptop logging and flashing plus the app connectivity. Plus it comes in a nicer case....

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #22
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
nothing is impossible to hack crack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post
Just to add, this is the write up I send confused customers (of which there are a few)..

There are 5 components of the ecutek end user/retail system.

1. EcuTek OBDII cable
2. EcuTek dongle/usb key or its correct name "DESkey"
3. ProECU software
4. License
5. Tune file

All of these are separate things. The software and license are both software items and aren't physical.

The OBDII cable is used for transferring data from the ProECU software/laptop to your cars ECU.

The DESkey is a software encryption key that allows you to open ProECU on your computer. It is like a password for a program but it is physical and impossible to crack/hack. It's purely used so you can't copy the ProECU software, kind of like how some games etc used a product key.

The license is a string of code that attaches to your ProECU software until you write it to the cars ECU. The license, once applied to an ECU, is no longer connected to your particular EcuTek programming kit. You are free to use whatever cable and dongle you wish, otherwise people would be locked to one tuner and one tuner only.

The tune file is created by your tuner. If they are doing it in person, you won't see a copy of it. If you are doing it remotely, they will compile it and "key" it to your dongle ID (DESkey ID). This allows you to flash it to your car but not allow you to open, view or change any mapping. This doesn't lock your ECU either, but using EcuTek means you are locked to EcuTek's software UNLESS you flash a stock tune file, which will allow different programs access.
High end software programs have used dongle encryption for decades. Back in the day there were programs like dongle spy that record all the information that passes between the dongle and the dlls for the program and rewrite dlls with all of the encryption data already in them so that the software works.

That's how programs like 3D Studio Max and Lightwave 3D and Maya, etc.. have cracked versions out there.

That being said, I don't condone cracking software nor do I know how easily it can be done for this software, but to say it's impossible is a misnomer.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #23
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
High end software programs have used dongle encryption for decades. Back in the day there were programs like dongle spy that record all the information that passes between the dongle and the dlls for the program and rewrite dlls with all of the encryption data already in them so that the software works.

That's how programs like 3D Studio Max and Lightwave 3D and Maya, etc.. have cracked versions out there.

That being said, I don't condone cracking software nor do I know how easily it can be done for this software, but to say it's impossible is a misnomer.

Jaden
I'd rather say to a customer that it's impossible, rather than say it's very hard as that's something they don't really need to know.

Anything's possible, the impossible just takes longer.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
steve99
Banned

Quote:

I got ecutek just for the map switching, but i use it to switch fuels with 95 ron 98 ron , E 40 and e85 maps in the 4 slots, saves me reflashing all the time and cheaper and easier than full flex. I ws able to sell my oft for goid price and picked up a secondhand cabke kit cheap. I probably would not do it just for lc ffs and auto blip on na car.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tor (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Im lucky to have a protune thats unlocked. Im interested in adding ignition timing and adjusting my duty cycle on my Boost controller after my motor build is complete and broken in. Does anyone have an English guide that translates each table in EcuTek for a dumb down English for learning purposes?
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #26
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Im lucky to have a protune thats unlocked. Im interested in adding ignition timing and adjusting my duty cycle on my Boost controller after my motor build is complete and broken in. Does anyone have an English guide that translates each table in EcuTek for a dumb down English for learning purposes?

Open the table theirs often help option

Theier is also some pdf documentation that comes with ecutek, but with the base proecu it its prety basic , tuner version you get more info

Boost controller is likely controlled by custom maps set up by tuner, so depends how they set it up might be their own setup usually uses evap purge solenoid output of ecu from memory.

Unfortunatly unleass you have racerom extension pack you cannot se or slter custom maps even in unlocked tune

Nice to see james martin still doing unlocked tunes
Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #27
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Open the table theirs often help option

Theier is also some pdf documentation that comes with ecutek, but with the base proecu it its prety basic , tuner version you get more info

Boost controller is likely controlled by custom maps set up by tuner, so depends how they set it up might be their own setup usually uses evap purge solenoid output of ecu from memory.

Unfortunatly unleass you have racerom extension pack you cannot se or slter custom maps even in unlocked tune

Nice to see james martin still doing unlocked tunes
Funny, i found what i was looking for just after i posted. Ill need to purchase Racerom and i found the pdf in the help dropdown. Thank you sir!
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #28
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Im interested in adding ignition timing and adjusting my duty cycle on my Boost controller after my motor build is complete and broken in.
Simple rule of thumb, increase boost, reduce ignition advance..... don't go doing both

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
GsxrMe (04-27-2017)