follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #15
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I assumed the same. Or at least I couldn't see anything that looked like a sensor in the diagram. I only know enough about reading those things to get into trouble though.
Bottom line, I don't see anything in the service manual that indicates the system gives two shits about the driver's side. Whether or not there is anyone in the seat, the driver's side bags are going to blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileMonger View Post
Has anyone tried these: https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/43011

$33 from Japanparts + shipping
Simple & inexpensive. Legit.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Bottom line, I don't see anything in the service manual that indicates the system gives two shits about the driver's side. Whether or not there is anyone in the seat, the driver's side bags are going to blow.

Simple & inexpensive. Legit.
Probably a safe assumption that if the car is moving there is somebody in the drivers seat so no need for secondary sensors. The one in the buckle meets the requirement for a buckle notice so again no need for a second.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
MileMonger

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nothing shown in any drawings and no real reason for hidden or redundant devices so those very well would do the trick. Nice find.
Thanks! You're right. And even if there was, it would probably be a faisafe, allowing the airbag to go off if EITHER the seatbelt is pulled out + sudden, heavy pull on it OR connected buckle. I doubt you'd have to meet all conditions.

I wonder if the airbag will go off should someone crash into a parked car with the buckle still plugged in. May be best to remove it when not driving, but with a separate harness, it may be easy to forget.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
MileMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks! You're right. And even if there was, it would probably be a faisafe, allowing the airbag to go off if EITHER the seatbelt is pulled out + sudden, heavy pull on it OR connected buckle. I doubt you'd have to meet all conditions.

I wonder if the airbag will go off should someone crash into a parked car with the buckle still plugged in. May be best to remove it when not driving, but with a separate harness, it may be easy to forget.

They don't need a failsafe for the seatbelt. If they did then using the retractor would be a horrible method since it would not be control reliable. Not everybody pulls it out the same distance or with the same force.

If the car was turned on and seatbelt plugged in I have zero doubt the bags would deploy if hit.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #19
MileMonger

Quote:
If the car was turned on and seatbelt plugged in I have zero doubt the bags would deploy if hit.
For sure, buy I meant with car off.
Lots of people online claim they will, some say it's car dependent. Some say old cars used to, even if car was empty/seatbelt undone.
In the end it may have nothing to do with the seatbelt being plugged in once car is off, was just suggesting it may be worth taking the time to unhook the seatbelt latch/or that it may not matter.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
For sure, buy I meant with car off.
Lots of people online claim they will, some say it's car dependent. Some say old cars used to, even if car was empty/seatbelt undone.
In the end it may have nothing to do with the seatbelt being plugged in once car is off, was just suggesting it may be worth taking the time to unhook the seatbelt latch/or that it may not matter.

Ignition must be on. There is noting powering the circuit with it off. The signal runs through a control module so no power = no signal = no airbag. They have always had to have the seatbelt hooked up even before passenger sensors existed. There are more myths than facts about airbags. The solution you linked is all that is needed there is nothing else involved.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #21
MileMonger

Quote:
Ignition must be on. There is noting powering the circuit with it off. The signal runs through a control module so no power = no signal = no airbag. They have always had to have the seatbelt hooked up even before passenger sensors existed. There are more myths than facts about airbags. The solution you linked is all that is needed there is nothing else involved.
Lol, relaaax

I try to understand everything about a change before I do it myself, and I thought OP might too, so thanks for the info, Tcoat.

You're right, lots info out there. Some claim airbags going off with car off, others about module being powered at all times, and about some power remaining even after turning off engine, hence why I asked.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Lol, relaaax

I try to understand everything about a change before I do it myself, and I thought OP might too, so thanks for the info, Tcoat.

You're right, lots info out there. Some claim airbags going off with car off, others about module being powered at all times, and about some power remaining even after turning off engine, hence why I asked.
LOL I am not tense. It just reads that way since I was rushing and didn't want to write a book.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
LOL I am not tense. It just reads that way since I was rushing and didn't want to write a book.
He's new. You take practice.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #24
MileMonger

Quote:
Ahh!
Okay, thanks for clearing that up! :P

Quote:
He's new. You take practice.
Indeed, have lurked on and off for a while but finally made the jump

Last edited by MileMonger; 01-28-2017 at 10:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MileMonger For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Ahh!
Okay, thanks for clearing that up! :P

Indeed, have lurked on and off for a while but finally made the jump
Welcome! (a year later, I know...) Interacting is quite different from lurking and Tcoat's... Well, Tcoat's Tcoat.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
MileMonger

Quote:
Welcome! (a year later, I know...) Interacting is quite different from lurking and Tcoat's... Well, Tcoat's Tcoat.
Thanks ! Well, I made the account a year ago but didn't really start posting until last week. :P Just posted my greetings in the BRZ forum: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2841635

Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #27
Captain Curt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Base MT
Quote:

You're right, that is something to consider. Thankfully I could care less if airbags are deployed if the parked vehicle is hit, though as passengers enter/leave vehicle it's something to be mindful of. I may take the car in to a dealer and speak with one of the techs there to see what precautions should be made. The car is on a 100,000 mile everything warranty (previous owner paid an extra $2,700 in warranties that thankfully transferred) so reprogramming should be covered.
Captain Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Curt For This Useful Post:
MileMonger (02-13-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curt View Post
You're right, that is something to consider. Thankfully I could care less if airbags are deployed if the parked vehicle is hit, though as passengers enter/leave vehicle it's something to be mindful of. I may take the car in to a dealer and speak with one of the techs there to see what precautions should be made. The car is on a 100,000 mile everything warranty (previous owner paid an extra $2,700 in warranties that thankfully transferred) so reprogramming should be covered.
Do not read as angry, condescending, sarcastic or any other way. Legit question out of interest:

Why would the dealer cover reprograming for you to have a harness? Not a warranty issue.
They may not even touch it for liability reasons.