follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #1
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ECUTEK Questions

Hey guys planning to Turbocharge change my FRS with Works Stage 2 carb compliant kit in the near future. As some of you may know @WORKS came up with a carb approved turbo charger kit. Their kit requires a Ecu flash with carb legal tune. However, they can only flash for those who are local and knock off $150 for people who aren't local to get a ecutek license.

Here's the problem I know nothing of ECUTEK aside from it being a flash method for tuning the ECU (LOL ecutek=ecu? Duh anyways...) so I visit ft86speedfactory.com and they have a bunch of Ecutek package which I have no idea which I need or difference in it.

I'm trying to learn more about ecutek for this. Tactrix is also an option so any opinion whether I should go Tactrix or ecutek. Why tractrix? Why ecutek? If ecutek which package? How do I get license if I want to borrow a ecutek dongle? how does license work?
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
EcuTek is the only software that can install the CARB tune. Almost every legit tuner uses EcuTek, largely because it provides copy protection. Tactrix is more for the DIY, and you're not that person, judging from your post. You should spring for the full EcuTek dongle and license and all that jazz from Works, if that's the kit you want. Whomever you buy the kit from should be able to tell you what else you need. I'd buy it all as a package after talking to whatever store you choose.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
StegaDragon

Drives: 13 Sc10n FR-S
Either one works, once you tune the ECU the only people who will be able to change the Tune is WORK'S, I personally did the Tactrix because I wasn't planning on Changing the tune and it is substantially cheaper since they supply it with the kit

SC10N driver
StegaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StegaDragon For This Useful Post:
WORKS (06-01-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
turtlefeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StegaDragon View Post
Either one works, once you tune the ECU the only people who will be able to change the Tune is WORK'S, I personally did the Tactrix because I wasn't planning on Changing the tune and it is substantially cheaper since they supply it with the kit

SC10N driver
That's what I was thinking of going with Tactrix for cost saving and I also think the tune is one and only since it's carb approved.

Cost?
How will works be able to tune the ECU if I'm not local?
Does Tactrix require license of some sort?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
StegaDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
That's what I was thinking of going with Tactrix for cost saving and I also think the tune is one and only since it's carb approved.

Cost?
How will works be able to tune the ECU if I'm not local?
Does Tactrix require license of some sort?
you get the cable in the package and download the Tactrix software to a laptop, give Works your ECU calibration# and they will send you a tune to flash your car then follow the instructions and use the Tactrix software to flash your car

SC10N driver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StegaDragon For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (05-30-2016), WORKS (06-01-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
turtlefeeder

You're sent by heaven lol!! Quick, helpful and none bashing reply ever haha thanks
Old 05-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
StegaDragon

Hahaha no problem, best of luck

SC10N driver
Old 05-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
I don't think the current version of Tactrix even works. They had a software update that prevents flashing. They're working on it.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
turtlefeeder

@jsimon7777 Thanks for info on Tactrix I'll make sure to contact works before purchase in near future
Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
One last thing. The entire purpose of the Works kit is to get CARB approval in a turbo. If you don't get their CARB tune and EcuTek, you probably won't get CARB stickers, which means you're illegal in California, not just in terms of legality, but also in terms of not having stickers like you would if you went with the whole kit and then got an aftermarket tune.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
turtlefeeder

That, I know of. Messing with any of works turbo setting physical object or tune may void carb legality..
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I don't think the current version of Tactrix even works. They had a software update that prevents flashing. They're working on it.

its just the logging to SD card that has a bug, the reading/flashing of ecu is fine
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys planning to Turbocharge change my FRS with Works Stage 2 carb compliant kit in the near future. As some of you may know @WORKS came up with a carb approved turbo charger kit. Their kit requires a Ecu flash with carb legal tune. However, they can only flash for those who are local and knock off $150 for people who aren't local to get a ecutek license.

Here's the problem I know nothing of ECUTEK aside from it being a flash method for tuning the ECU (LOL ecutek=ecu? Duh anyways...) so I visit ft86speedfactory.com and they have a bunch of Ecutek package which I have no idea which I need or difference in it.

I'm trying to learn more about ecutek for this. Tactrix is also an option so any opinion whether I should go Tactrix or ecutek. Why tractrix? Why ecutek? If ecutek which package? How do I get license if I want to borrow a ecutek dongle? how does license work?

Their is no licience with tactrix its opensource flashing tool. Tactrix wont lock the ecu either and the tune would be open and editable and ecu reflashable with any flash system. Tactrix cable is about $170 and flash software is free.

With Ecutek you need ecu licience to flash about $300 or so and you need ecutek cable/dongle kit $350 or so, unless you can get to tuner. You ecu will be locked to ecutek and tune will almost certainly be locked.

Some tuners will "hire out" a ecutek cable dongle kit so you can flash your ecutek tune, or you can use someone else's cable dongle kit to flash the tune, you will still need the ecutek ecu licience though
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (05-30-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Both of our ECU flashing options can be used remotely.

If you want to use EcuTek, you will either purchase an EcuTek programming kit (cable, dongle and license) and flash in our emailed calibration yourself OR buy a license from a shop that is an EcuTek dealer and have them flash in our calibration.

If you want to use Tactrix, we include our WORKS Flashing Kit made by Tactrix with the turbo kit. You will use the flashing kit to flash in our emailed calibration file.
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WORKS For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (06-02-2016)