follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2018, 03:51 AM   #15
darksnyder

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 (Hot Lave)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Mine is getting worse by the day. If I do any hard braking it makes all kinds of racket.

Same here. It started off only making noises over uneven terrain but now even under braking, its slight audible. I think changing any suspension component only either dampens it or aggravates it. I had my tire rods changed by some garage just after owning it, it kind of made it a little worse.

Keep us posted on your progress. Here in UAE, the dealer has indirectly admitted to the problem and its a potential hazard as one can lose power steering (as per them). The only solution they are currently providing is to replace the EPS (~$1,500).
darksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Electric Power Steering (EPS) noisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksnyder View Post
Same here. It started off only making noises over uneven terrain but now even under braking, its slight audible. I think changing any suspension component only either dampens it or aggravates it. I had my tire rods changed by some garage just after owning it, it kind of made it a little worse.

Keep us posted on your progress. Here in UAE, the dealer has indirectly admitted to the problem and its a potential hazard as one can lose power steering (as per them). The only solution they are currently providing is to replace the EPS (~$1,500).

There's no chance of you losing power steering because of this noise. Dealer service counter people usually don't know very much.

The system is functioning as intended. Large input forces from the road are normally transferred to the steering wheel. The EPS soaks up those inputs. A side effect is the rattling. Ideally when the EPS is tight with very little gear slop, it's inaudible. On some cars, mine included, it's quite loud. There's probably a way to fix it other than to replace the EPS or straight up delete it. Either way, it's an annoyance, not a safety issue.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 10-09-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
_Kodiak (03-15-2020)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #17
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I will for sure. I suspect a lot of people have this chatter and try to chase it down in the suspension when really it’s in the EPS.

Any luck?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #18
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Sorry, I've not had a chance to mess with it yet.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #19
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Following
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 AM   #20
darksnyder

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 (Hot Lave)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
While we wait for a fix, I recorded a few videos of my rattling EPS and just curious to know if you guys are experiencing the same rattling or less or worse:

(you can here it from 3 secs onwards)
darksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darksnyder For This Useful Post:
Dake (03-27-2019), ermax (10-16-2018), sato (02-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #21
ermax

Yes! Exactly that.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have this too. @darksnyder lead me to searching for a fix from the Corolla community and I've found a lot of discussion about this problem there. Turns out the Corolla, Lexus C200h and a few other Toyotas have very similar if not identical EPS systems. I see several different fixes for this problem. I see one guy simply tightened the bolts on the linkage. Some shimmed up the bearing. Mine seems to be coming from inside the EPS motor though. I've seen people take the EPS housing off and pump it full of grease. I'm really shocked there isn't more talk about this problem on this forum, especially from people who track their cars. I suspect because there have only been a dozen Twins sold and they are all low mileage compared to the gazillion Corollas that are on the road with 200K+ on them.

Tonight if I get a chance I am going to loosen and retighten the bolts on the linkage and see if that helps. If not I may take the whole thing apart this weekend and see if I can figure something out. Mine is getting worse by the day. If I do any hard braking it makes all kinds of racket.
But this steering is very different from a Corolla or Lexus. Not sure any fixes just transfer over and are meaningless although the basic ideas may work.
There hasn't been much talk because it is very rare so isn't much of a problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #23
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But this steering is very different from a Corolla or Lexus. Not sure any fixes just transfer over and are meaningless although the basic ideas may work.
There hasn't been much talk because it is very rare so isn't much of a problem.
What is different about it? The assist motor looks identical. It's the gear lash that makes the noise.

Here is some video of the system on the Corolla. As you can see it looks identical. The C200h is also the same setup.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv8jRd8sads[/ame]

I suspect it's more common it's just people create threads like, "Clunk in suspension" because that is what it sounds like. There is a lot more talk about it on the Corolla because they sell way more and people can get more than 80K on those before they blow up. Hahaha
Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
What is different about it? The assist motor looks identical. It's the gear lash that makes the noise.

Here is some video of the system on the Corolla. As you can see it looks identical.

If you mean that both are an electric motor and a set of gears then yes they are similar but so are just about every other make. If there is a problem with the EPS on some other make it does not automatically cross all makes. Search Subaru EPS issues to find out more accurate info.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #25
ermax

Quote:
If you mean that both are an electric motor and a set of gears then yes they are similar but so are just about every other make. If there is a problem with the EPS on some other make it does not automatically cross all makes. Search Subaru EPS issues to find out more accurate info.
No I am not saying that because they both have gears and a motor that they must be the same. They have the exact same motor and gears. Like identical. Look for yourself rather than make assumptions. Looks like Subaru uses Hitachi with the acception of the BRZ which uses JTEKT which is what Toyota uses in all their cars. Yes I know JTEKT has several units but the unit in the 2009 Corolla XRS and Lexus CT200h looks identical. You did a lightning response to my post so clearly you didn't bother looking at that video.

Let's not derail another thread with arguments about how rare shit is. People in this thread all have the same problem and we should keep it productive.
HRTROB (03-01-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
ermax

Here is an interesting video:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsP_qDCmxQ8[/ame]
Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
No I am not saying that because they both have gears and a motor that they must be the same. They have the exact same motor and gears. Like identical. Look for yourself rather than make assumptions. Looks like Subaru uses Hitachi with the acception of the BRZ which uses JTEKT which is what Toyota uses in all their cars. Yes I know JTEKT has several units but the unit in the 2009 Corolla XRS and Lexus CT200h looks identical. You did a lightning response to my post so clearly you didn't bother looking at that video.

Let's not derail another thread with arguments about how rare shit is. People in this thread all have the same problem and we should keep it productive.
Looks the same and are the same are not the same.
I was attempting to assist by pointing out that they are not the same but if you see everything as an attack then that is fine.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
ermax

Quote:
Looks the same and are the same are not the same.
I was attempting to assist by pointing out that they are not the same but if you see everything as an attack then that is fine.
I asked you how they are different and you didn't answer. The fact is you have no clue what is inside. They have identical housings but yes the internals could be different. But you saying to research Subaru issues really discredits your argument as they aren't even made by the same company. I don't see this as an attack, I see it as you derailing another thread. Bring constructive info only.
HRTROB (03-01-2019)