follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2022, 02:50 AM   #29
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maafeu View Post
UPDATE:

So I just read your last part:

This is interesting cause I have 3 dash harnesses, two of them were from the States, and the third one I got recently from a Canadian model. This might be the reason i'm getting this issue. It would make complete sense cause the US Dash Harness is wired in a way to have the Gauge cluster involved in the Immo Handshake, whereas the CAN Harness isnt.

I havent tried it yet as I'll wait to purchase some other items I need. This makes complete sense and I thank you in advance for informing me of that very precious piece of information, this may have saved my day!

I'll keep you posted.

OHHHHHH then thats 100% the reason. I was helping someone doing a AT to MT swap. We looked over everything , until the end i discovered he was from canada using a US harness. He changed to a CAN harness from the same year and everything worked! try and stick to the same year as the ECU too. Their huge differences in the harness between the 13-16 and 17+. Make sure you keep the ID code box as a set. then you should be good.
Maafeu (09-14-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #30
Aero86

Drives: GT86 Aero UK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
For the immobilizer, their is two different systems:
Push start and turn key.

For turn key the following systems are involved: Cluster, BCM, Key, engine ECU.
For Push start: Certification ECU, Keyfob, Steering wheel lock module, Engine ECU.
For either system, a additional "ID code box" might also be in the car depending on your country. Like CANada/UK have them.

For turn key, If you break the BCM for any reason , you buy a new one, you can do the following: Turn the car on, Connect techstream to the car, Bind the Clsuter to the BCM using that video that was showed. Then finally you can use the paperclip method to bind the BCM to the engine ECU. Do note that although techstream can do the Cluster to BCM bind on any car. Techstream might not be able to add new keys to a subaru system and vice versa. Their was some weird programming on some of these cars and so sometimes it wont let you. Also for turn key toyotas, the immobilizer system doesnt match other "G" chips that toyota uses, so when replacing it it needs to be a FRS specific. Second note. Unlike other Toyotas, a VALET key can and will program other keys as if they were a master key in the immobilizer system

Theirs also two differences how Techstream and SSM handles the imobilizer CERT ecu between Subaru and Toyota.

If you switched out your whole harness ecus.. everything.. did you switch out the Steering wheel lock? The box that attached via a "FLXER Bolt" to the shaft. without this also being switched out your car will not start. Most people forget this and cars wont start.

As for If you lose your keyfob car, Subaru and Toyota handle the immobilizer differently. On a toyota if all keys lost situation, techstream can still connect and reset all the modules in the car with a "seed key". So no need to dissasemble anything.

On subaru however......Their software it setup in a way that the car needs to be on for SSM to connect to the car. But no keys .. on car on situation.. No reprogramming... a replacement has to be done of the module inside the car.

Anyways your code b1572, seem to to "ID code box" code. So im guessing your in canada? If you are.. please note that US dash harness will not work on CAN modules. If you forgot to also switch the "ID code box" and both are CAN then you probably forgot to switch those out too.

Thank you for this - very helpful as im swapping out various modules on my vehicle as part of a turbo conversion from a wrecked car. One question; when you mention ;

"did you switch out the Steering wheel lock? The box that attached via a "FLXER Bolt" to the shaft. without this also being switched out your car will not start. Most people forget this and cars wont start."

Which part are you referring to exactly - do you have a picture? Mine is a push start and looking at the steering column there is no obvious part that can be switch out? Many Thanks
Aero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #31
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero86 View Post
Thank you for this - very helpful as im swapping out various modules on my vehicle as part of a turbo conversion from a wrecked car. One question; when you mention ;

"did you switch out the Steering wheel lock? The box that attached via a "FLXER Bolt" to the shaft. without this also being switched out your car will not start. Most people forget this and cars wont start."

Which part are you referring to exactly - do you have a picture? Mine is a push start and looking at the steering column there is no obvious part that can be switch out? Many Thanks
sorry for the late reply. but basically this. without this car wont start. Only way to remove it is to cut a slice or straight edge to stick a flat head and turn the bolt. Its made purposely hard for security.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18521796939...Bk9SR5zEj_SUYQ
Old 12-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #32
Aero86

Drives: GT86 Aero UK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Many thanks. I ended up switching out the whole column. All sorted!!
Aero86 is offline   Reply With Quote