follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2022, 01:11 AM   #15
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithp4ntz View Post
Great DIY. I am having a small issue with the install, most likely due to the model of FRS.

I have a 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0. This model came with an 8pin harness, a connector to the motor, and the turn signal connector for the light in the bumper.

I have the stock turn signal relay, and stock tail lights.

After install the Headlights with the DRL running from the fuse box. I noticed that engaging either turn signal would engage the hazards.

I have e-mailed Morimoto asking for some assistance.

After reading that the FT86SF Head lights were made by the same manufacturer, the following warning on their site has me thinking I may need to do some re-wiring. I've also noticed from this thread that I may need to unpin the blue wire.

From ft86sf: OTE: "For the 2017 Toyota 86 model only the white and yellow pins on the headlight harness need to be switched for the turn signals to functional normally. Other models may require pin swapping as well. Quick swap plug and play harness is available for an additional cost."

When Morimoto gets back to me, I'll post an update. If anyone has any ideas about next steps for the Release Series 2 they would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again everyone for all of your great posts. Learn lots on this forum.
Start by unplugging the add-on drl fuse line, then turn on the parking lights. If the eyeliner led comes on, you have a wiring conflict. Test the blinkers and flashers to be certain there isn’t a second issue.

If everything works correctly with the drl line unplugged, you need to identify the conflict and depin it (the blue wire on the headlight is a good place to start). Alternatively, you can leave the drl line unplugged and just run the eyeliner with the parking light switch.

If you still have issues with the drl line unplugged, then a further wiring conflict due to differences in the FRS harness is likely the problem.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:16 AM   #16
smithp4ntz

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@pope,

Thank you for the further investigative instructions.

Morimoto got back to me and sent me a new harness for vehicles with my particular setup. I believe they should update their website to inform owners of a Series 2 that they have a separate harness.

I am happy to report that the new harness they sent worked flawlessly.

Hope this information is helpful in anyone suffering from the same issue.
smithp4ntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:43 AM   #17
Maafeu

Drives: 2020+ Toyota FRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 BRZ (Canadian), and I just picked up set of these lights from an auction. It was just the headlights without the fuse tap, so I purchased one from amazon. I also picked up the fuses with I assume were a 3amp and a 15amp (confirmed from Morimoto) needed for that to operate them properly. I'm noticing a couple things:

1. Tail lights 10A fuse is blowing out everytime I hook them up. I've tried depinning the blue line from the OEM harness, however there's only one side that has a blue solid wire. so I'm not sure if I depinning the right one.

2. the DRL "line" isnt showing up with or without the fuse tap installed. I've had the same issue on my other headlights, so I'm sure its not the headlights, however I've checked all the fuses in both boxes, and the relays under the hood and they seem to be operating properly. Anyone knows where I can check as well?

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

UPDATE:

Both issues are fixed.

A reminder for those who have the Coplus Platinum headlights as opposed to the Morimotos the wiring is somewhat different. Instead of the blue wire, you'll be depinning the black wire from the Headlight plug that's between the yellow and white wire on both headlights. This will prevent the 10A tail light fuse from blowing out.

Remember after that you can safely use the Fuse-Tap wire. Just in case you got the lights without the fuse wire, the Mini fuses that are use are a 15A and a 3A, doesnt matter which is on the top or the bottom. That one wire will split out to both blue single wires on each headlight.

This will complete the install

Last edited by Maafeu; 08-06-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Maafeu is offline   Reply With Quote