follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #99
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BUUUMMMPPP

Any updates on people from 2014-2015 that FI'd their cars?

I am looking at the Edelbrock SC soon and going to just run the CARB tune because my car is a 2020 with less than 7k miles and I want the Edelbrock warranty. Does the base CARB tune work with a Tomei UEL header (seeing as how uncatted headers are not CARB-friendly)?
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #100
Limitless_BRZ

Drives: Crystal White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
BUUUMMMPPP

I am looking at the Edelbrock SC soon and going to just run the CARB tune because my car is a 2020 with less than 7k miles and I want the Edelbrock warranty. Does the base CARB tune work with a Tomei UEL header (seeing as how uncatted headers are not CARB-friendly)?

Not SC, but i have a 2020 BRZ with 2600 miles. Boosted on JDL since 1200 miles.
Limitless_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limitless_BRZ For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #101
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless_BRZ View Post
Not SC, but i have a 2020 BRZ with 2600 miles. Boosted on JDL since 1200 miles.
Any support mods? The info on reliability under 300 hp is such a crapshoot. I’d be fine with 240-250
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
Old 05-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #102
Limitless_BRZ

Drives: Crystal White BRZ
Quote:
Any support mods? The info on reliability under 300 hp is such a crapshoot. I’d be fine with 240-250

Just dual radium catch cans, a/f gauge, boost and oil pressure, Full 3" turbo back, mishimoto radiator and oil cooler(cooler is a must)
Limitless_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limitless_BRZ For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #103
JSIdriver51

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Quote:
Well, the support mods are just like everyone listed/advised. I am running a Sprintex kit (it makes whiney noises and its worth it to me) and make in the 290-300/230-240 ballpark range based on the tunes done by Moto-East with the 69mm pulley (smallest pulley). I installed it at 93K in August 2019 and I am currently at 113K.

To address the heat produced I have Verus Vents, oil cooler, ceramic coated Gruppe-S header, e85, and I just ordered a catch can since I'll be heading to the track. I also wrapped my intake pipe with heat reflective tape; I had the stock airbox wrapped as well, but just switched to a Perrin Cold Air intake (temps are now a steady 3 degrees above ambient while in motion). The oil cooler brought the temps from 220-240 to 210-220; I have it custom-mounted on the driver side where the wiper fluid was. The vents and ceramic coating dissipate the heat very effectively, so prolonged use is not an issue. Just make sure to change out your oil more frequently with e85; it reduces pre-detonation allowing you to run more timing, but dilutes the oil so I change it every 3K (you can get an oil analysis done by Blackstone to see when you should do oil changes/if anything is already wrong with the car). I also switched out to Delicious Coilpacks and it mainly helped the idle/1st gear smooth out; the rest of the tune still felt solid. If possible, get the Ecutek BT dongle so you can use the Ecutek BT app to monitor the car; you can add extra sensors to allow you to monitor everything.

Most importantly, ensure you have a good tuner that knows what they are doing. I would recommend Bill at Delicious or Zach at CSG for the edlebrock kit; they will ensure your tune is reliable, safe, and fun.
JSIdriver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSIdriver51 For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #104
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSIdriver51 View Post
Well, the support mods are just like everyone listed/advised. I am running a Sprintex kit (it makes whiney noises and its worth it to me) and make in the 290-300/230-240 ballpark range based on the tunes done by Moto-East with the 69mm pulley (smallest pulley). I installed it at 93K in August 2019 and I am currently at 113K.

To address the heat produced I have Verus Vents, oil cooler, ceramic coated Gruppe-S header, e85, and I just ordered a catch can since I'll be heading to the track. I also wrapped my intake pipe with heat reflective tape; I had the stock airbox wrapped as well, but just switched to a Perrin Cold Air intake (temps are now a steady 3 degrees above ambient while in motion). The oil cooler brought the temps from 220-240 to 210-220; I have it custom-mounted on the driver side where the wiper fluid was. The vents and ceramic coating dissipate the heat very effectively, so prolonged use is not an issue. Just make sure to change out your oil more frequently with e85; it reduces pre-detonation allowing you to run more timing, but dilutes the oil so I change it every 3K (you can get an oil analysis done by Blackstone to see when you should do oil changes/if anything is already wrong with the car). I also switched out to Delicious Coilpacks and it mainly helped the idle/1st gear smooth out; the rest of the tune still felt solid. If possible, get the Ecutek BT dongle so you can use the Ecutek BT app to monitor the car; you can add extra sensors to allow you to monitor everything.

Most importantly, ensure you have a good tuner that knows what they are doing. I would recommend Bill at Delicious or Zach at CSG for the edlebrock kit; they will ensure your tune is reliable, safe, and fun.
This is excellent! Thank you!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #105
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
BUUUMMMPPP

No the CARB tune is obviously for cat equipped cars. I never tried the CARB tune but i heard it was absolutely trash.

I've been Edelbrocked for 2 years i believe, and about 20k miles. I had the upgraded bypass valve installed under 5k ago but even my original one was fine. Just a daily driver.

It's been great. No supporting mods...just oil changes every 5k. I haven't seen oil temps go past 230 (most of the time im at 210-215 degrees) but if i lived in a hotter more mountainous climate i'd definitely want an oil cooler.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 10:22 PM   #106
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
No the CARB tune is obviously for cat equipped cars. I never tried the CARB tune but i heard it was absolutely trash.

I've been Edelbrocked for 2 years i believe, and about 20k miles. I had the upgraded bypass valve installed under 5k ago but even my original one was fine. Just a daily driver.

It's been great. No supporting mods...just oil changes every 5k. I haven't seen oil temps go past 230 (most of the time im at 210-215 degrees) but if i lived in a hotter more mountainous climate i'd definitely want an oil cooler.
Great to hear! I ordered my kit last night and Fedex says I should get it by next Tuesday. Any advice for a boosted novice? My application is the same as yours; just a DD looking for some more power.

I’ve heard issues come from torque when slamming the gas while lugging the engine?

EDIT: hilarious; we have almost the exact same setup. I have a corsa catback and RCE SS-1s, too. Only extra is the Tomei UEL header
Old 05-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #107
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Great to hear! I ordered my kit last night and Fedex says I should get it by next Tuesday. Any advice for a boosted novice? My application is the same as yours; just a DD looking for some more power.

I’ve heard issues come from torque when slamming the gas while lugging the engine?

EDIT: hilarious; we have almost the exact same setup. I have a corsa catback and RCE SS-1s, too. Only extra is the Tomei UEL header
Hah, didn't see that. Good taste bruv.

I can't say i've had issues with torque but i mean, you've almost doubled stock power, you can't drive it like a hoon all the time and expect it to last. That's the consequences of boosting your motor. On the other hand i never got a lot of enjoyment out of wringing the stock engine to 7000 RPM. With the supercharger i rarely exceed 6000 rpm and am satisfied with the power.

I basically don't floor it unless im over 4k rpm, and usually am pretty gentle rolling onto the throttle. Sounds boring but i think i've only peeled out from a dig once or twice. 2nd gear is by far my favorite.

I check the oil religiously, i keep an eye on my oil temps, i make sure to monitor knock etc. You definitely want something to monitor your engine. The most important is a good tune.

Now that i've said all that my motor is gonna pop tomorrow i bet.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #108
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Hah, didn't see that. Good taste bruv.

I can't say i've had issues with torque but i mean, you've almost doubled stock power, you can't drive it like a hoon all the time and expect it to last. That's the consequences of boosting your motor. On the other hand i never got a lot of enjoyment out of wringing the stock engine to 7000 RPM. With the supercharger i rarely exceed 6000 rpm and am satisfied with the power.

I basically don't floor it unless im over 4k rpm, and usually am pretty gentle rolling onto the throttle. Sounds boring but i think i've only peeled out from a dig once or twice. 2nd gear is by far my favorite.

I check the oil religiously, i keep an eye on my oil temps, i make sure to monitor knock etc. You definitely want something to monitor your engine. The most important is a good tune.

Now that i've said all that my motor is gonna pop tomorrow i bet.
Haha you’ll be good. I’m the same…never rev-out the engine. I usually shift between 5-6k and just want more power from 2.5-5 or 6k. I’m always cool with my throttle pressure and shifts.

I have the Ecutek Bluetooth dongle, so I’ll just set my dashboard to display knock and oil temp (along with my AFR, etc)