follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
FineVisionz

Drives: Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Before you flock it you may want to wrap it. Alcantara, Sheep skin, What ever you prefer.
Both have their pros and cons,

Flock
Pro: Gets in all the tight spots and looks like "one piece"
Cons: Have to glue and flock the ENTIRE dash in 10 min... lol

wrap:
Pros: Can take your time and not rush
cons: not as easy to wrap the entire dash and make it look like one continuous piece due to having to hide seams.

I don't know. I'd like to wrap the dash because I feel like if I take my time, I think I could get a better product.

This isn't something I plan on doing super soon. I want to focus on exterior mods done before moving to interior.
FineVisionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 AM   #16
FineVisionz

Drives: Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Before you flock it you may want to wrap it. Alcantara, Sheep skin, What ever you prefer.
Where would I find good quality alcantara wrap? The ones listed on Amazon have very poor reviews.

I may try wrapping some other cheaper parts of the interior first such as the center console to see how I like the results.
FineVisionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
stothy02

Drives: GT86 - Satin Dark Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've wrapped it in "one piece" - graphite alcantara. Very hard to get it to behave and still haven't got it to work well in some areas. It takes a lot of time, and there are pitfalls to avoid that I haven't worked out yet - Mainly in the concave sections when it gets hot in the sun!

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to upholstery though. My next attempt would be to adjust the shape of the dashboard to try and flattern out the concave sections. I'd also probably try for multi-piece if i was to do it again, but it took me 3 days to completely remove, adhesive, material fitting, etc - it can be very time consuming
stothy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #18
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineVisionz View Post
Where would I find good quality alcantara wrap? The ones listed on Amazon have very poor reviews.

I may try wrapping some other cheaper parts of the interior first such as the center console to see how I like the results.
There is only one kind of alcantara - it is a brand name and it is worth it to spend the money on the real thing. I had it on a dash and rear trunk for over 6 years on my STI and it absolutely did not fade. Gulf Fabrics in Florida is the US importer, it was about $110/sq yard last time I ordered it. You can also get it in bulk from Overland Designs. He does fantastic work, I have several pieces from him; I can wrap just about anything but if it requires stitching I have a pro do it. JPM Coachworks used to do it but they are no longer in business.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote