follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #253
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBRZsKnees View Post
I've returned the T'eyes unit and purchased a 9" Joying Android 10 unit instead. The Joying system has been so smooth by comparison. The harness took a bit more figuring out, but the audio is clear and powerful. No visual artifacts in Carplay. And the Joying unit has a volume knob, which is way more of a benefit than expected.

Seems I was just unlucky with the CC3 since I'm not seeing many similar experiences. I wouldn't go back to T'eyes though.

Anyway, I have an unused T'eyes OBD II dongle that I'll sell cheap if anyone wants it...
Sucks you had bad experience. Last Joying unit I had didn't really work properly for me. Very happy with my Teyes unit.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #254
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBRZsKnees View Post
I've returned the T'eyes unit and purchased a 9" Joying Android 10 unit instead.
The main issue I have with my CC3 is call quality in CarPlay. If I kill CarPlay and drop back to a standard Bluetooth call the quality is fine. It was much worse before one of the iOS updates but it's still not great.

I'm curious how call quality is on the Joying when in CarPlay. Also, exactly what model do you have, there are lots of them?
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:31 AM   #255
TheBRZsKnees

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I'm curious how call quality is on the Joying when in CarPlay. Also, exactly what model do you have, there are lots of them?
It's hard for me to say, to be honest. I actually managed to cut the cable for the mic during my install. I patched it up, but I make so few phone calls that I didn't even think to test it until you asked.

Needless to say, it didn't work at all haha. I replaced it with a generic one from Amazon. After a quick test, the person on the other end reported good quality with the mic close to my mouth, and poor quality with it in the factory mounting spot or above the steering column.

Our cars have an insane amount of road noise that I've always just figured calls were hopeless.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:51 PM   #256
ermax

Recently I updated the firmware on my CC3 after not upgrading since I first got it and wow what a difference. The CarLink app added a refresh rate setting. It has three options, high, normal and low. I set it to high and animations are way more smooth. I'd say it went from 30fps to 60fps (even on a wireless connection). Also, on the old firmware I was on before the HPF, LPF didn't seem to do anything. Now the filters work which allowed me to tune it better so sound quality is way better. I have a cheap sub in the trunk that seemed to hardly have any output on the old firmware. I think the filters were hardcoded in such a way that nothing was getting passed to the sub.

So, if anyone has been holding off on updating their firmware, it's well worth it. Or at least it was for me coming from firmware from 2021. The CarPlay refresh rate improvement in itself is worth it.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:17 PM   #257
ermax

So my car was totaled (rear ended by a giant truck at 3mph) and I ended up with a 2022 BRZ. No need for the CC3 anymore so I emailed Teyes to see if I could order a face plate and harness to transplant the CC3 to my wife's Suburban. They responded within 5 mins with a quote. $93 shipped to Florida. I'm impressed with the turnaround time on the email and that they were even willing to sell the harness/faceplate on it's own.

I'd say the CC3 was one of the highest valued tech purchases I've made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (04-18-2023), Rican_D (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #258
Rican_D

Quote:
So my car was totaled (rear ended by a giant truck at 3mph) and I ended up with a 2022 BRZ. No need for the CC3 anymore so I emailed Teyes to see if I could order a face plate and harness to transplant the CC3 to my wife's Suburban. They responded within 5 mins with a quote. $93 shipped to Florida. I'm impressed with the turnaround time on the email and that they were even willing to sell the harness/faceplate on it's own.

That's good to know

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2023, 01:17 AM   #259
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
@Rican_D @ermax

Just got the Teyes unit and the bezel retention tabs seem to be a lot bigger than the OEM and can't be inserted into the dash. Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm surprised no one else has encountered this.

probably I can file it down but this quality control is really bad
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #260
Rican_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
@Rican_D @ermax

Just got the Teyes unit and the bezel retention tabs seem to be a lot bigger than the OEM and can't be inserted into the dash. Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm surprised no one else has encountered this.

probably I can file it down but this quality control is really bad
Yeah it's an issue, you can probably trim some of it. I just forced it in myself.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Rican_D For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (10-01-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 06:24 PM   #261
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Make a bracket for OE Dash trim

took some quarter inch aluminum angle brackets and made myself an adapter for the TEYES into the OE dash trim. Now I'm really happy with the look, for anyone else that wants to do this here's what it looks like. basically drilled 1/8" holes on the sides and used M3 hardware

Also realized that you can enable/use multitouch gestures for volume up and down as well as next/previous songs. That's so much better than trying to hit a small area on the screen while driving
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:21 PM   #262
FA20D

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

How is using carplay in terms of lag/scrolling? I've seen a few videos where the swiping between pages appears to be particularly laggy(as in takes a second for it to catch up with the motion of swiping). I've had an Atoto S8 before so I'm familiar with Android Head units and the carlink app for wireless carplay. On that unit there's minimal lag - really none at all. Curious how it performs on this system?

Edit: For context, I'm looking to purchase the 2K screen version of this headunit for Black Friday.

Last edited by FA20D; 11-22-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Additional Context
FA20D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:21 PM   #263
FA20D

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I bought my CC3 2K back in November and it’s been pretty good so far. I did have to RMA a new screen because mine randomly stopped working and showed a bunch of lines, I think the actual screen was defective from the start but had a delayed failure.

The customer service was a bit spotty from TEYES, I had to contact them multiple times through AliExpress and eventually just opened up a case, but once they finally responded they sent out a new screen within days.

As to my previous question, the CarPlay lag is very minimal, I’d say it’s in line with what I’ve used before from other wireless CarPlay manufacturers.

I did have some issues with audio quality at first, but I think I’ve dialed in the EQ to a point where it’s pretty decent. The preloaded songs and any local song loaded into the Head-unit’s file system using a flash drive sounds audibly better than using Spotify through CarPlay, but not by a huge margin, and definitely not enough for me to justify loading my library into the car instead of the convenience of CarPlay.

Overall I’m pretty satisfied with the purchase but I’m a little concerned about longevity, there have been a few moments where the screen freezes and the touch screen no longer works, but it’s only happened once or twice in the past 3 months.

Also the included backup camera is so much better than any aftermarket one I’ve used. However it does stick out pretty far from the back of the trunk depending on where you mount it.

This isn’t the best picture but the head unit makes the interior look much more cohesive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FA20D is offline   Reply With Quote