follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
J95

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How can I mount this oil cooler?

Hello! I need some advise about how to install my oil cooler kit. I have this one:
https://avoturbo.com/brz-frs-86-fa20...il-cooler-kit/

But I am missing some parts, the steel brackets, the rubber isolator and the air duct. Without the steel brackets I can not mount it where it should be mounted. Here some pics about its theoretic position, see attached (red car)

I thought about attaching it to the plastic bumper like in the picture of the blue car. But I don´t know how reliable it is... and also I guess the hoses are too long for that location and maybe they would not fit.

I need some ideas... What would you do, where should I mount the radiator?
Attached Images

J95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Go to hardware store and get some aluminum flat. Make brackets to mount to crash bar.

Mount where hoses allow since you can't change that length

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (07-21-2021), J95 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have mine mounted to the plastic tray like in the blue car’s picture, with racer X cooler mounts. If I didn’t have my Verus front splitter, I’d be pretty worried about it getting smashed so ideally you’d want it mounted to your crash bar (but it would suck if your lower tray got smashed up against the cooler).

First you want to find out the manufacturer of the oil cooler itself, and find kits from other companies that use that same cooler and email them asking if you can buy their mounts. They should be pretty cheap unless you are getting Perrin mounts which are super expensive for what they are.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
J95 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
J95

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
I have mine mounted to the plastic tray like in the blue car’s picture, with racer X cooler mounts. If I didn’t have my Verus front splitter, I’d be pretty worried about it getting smashed so ideally you’d want it mounted to your crash bar (but it would suck if your lower tray got smashed up against the cooler).

First you want to find out the manufacturer of the oil cooler itself, and find kits from other companies that use that same cooler and email them asking if you can buy their mounts. They should be pretty cheap unless you are getting Perrin mounts which are super expensive for what they are.
Thank you both!

Apparently there are no manufacturers in Europe that make kits for the radiator in a similar position. Maybe I will have to buy different aluminum parts and keep trying until I get a confortable position somewhere in the right flank
J95 is offline   Reply With Quote