follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
E85

Anyone running E85 here in Portland/Vantucky(/shoutout to UltraMaroon)?

As far as I know there is only one place to get it and it’s like 7th and Morrison east downtown… Jays garage.

I’m thinking about it but I live in Vancouver and work in Vancouver so a trip to downtown Portland for fuel isn’t exactly convenient.

Been reading up on the pros and cons, and pondering if I should try it and pop a E85 tune in.

What are your guys thoughts on it?
Any Advice or warnings would come as a welcomed convo.
Thanks.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sur For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-09-2022)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
E85

I run it. It’s a hassle. Performance wise it is like adding a header and tune again. If you are going to go that route might as well just go FF tune. That’s what I did. My nearest station that sells E85 is also Jay’s. It’s an hour for me.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
Ducati.Femme

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited - Pearl White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I run it as well.. although thankfully only when I need it. Plus running regular premium through the tank helps to keep the 'cons' away. Lol It's basically a dollar more, so I don't do it unless I am tracking it, or just want to do 'spirited' driving. Otherwise I roll with Premium. So not really a hassle, BUT I also go to Jay's. Super nice people there.
Ducati.Femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I run it. It’s a hassle. Performance wise it is like adding a header and tune again. If you are going to go that route might as well just go FF tune. That’s what I did. My nearest station that sells E85 is also Jay’s. It’s an hour for me.
That sounds like a pain. You run down the station to refuel and given the mpg hit you get with e85 you need to go back to refuel when you get home.

Fortunately, I have E85 available 5 minutes away. Another upside is E85 is usually $.20 to $.50 here cheaper than 93. All I need to make it work is an FF kit and tune.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
That sounds like a pain. You run down the station to refuel and given the mpg hit you get with e85 you need to go back to refuel when you get home.

Fortunately, I have E85 available 5 minutes away. All I need to make it work is an FF kit and tune.
I get up at 5am, dump all the leftover E85 I have in cans into the car. Throw the 6 cans I have into the truck and drive up and get there before they open. They fill the cans to the max they hold, then drive to work. I am flex fuel, so I can run the car on pump. I don't dd the car anymore, so I am not burning it day to day.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
Ducati.Femme

I'm also in the place where I don't want to store gallons of fuel in my garage, not to mention try and get it in the tank without spilling it on the paint. So, Jay's works out for me, and it's about 20min drive when traffic isn't a ****. lol You're right, the prices may have leveled off a bit, it was I think roughly another $10 per fill up last time so 'yay' prices aren't bad?
Old 07-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #7
Sur

Thanks for the insight fellas, honestly my car feels great and powerful, but I can’t help but think how it may feel running e85. Money wise, I’m not concerned really, it’s more of will I feel the increase in performance and will it be worth driving 30 minutes out of the way to fuel up. I can always change my tune if I can’t get to Jays.

What is FF tune? Flex fuel I assume. But I don’t like to assume so I ask. And can I get a flex fuel tune from OFT (OFT is what I have)?

Also I currently am on Tomei UEL no cat Stage 2+. So if it would be like doubling what I have already, I think I’d go for it.

And Flex fuel, I read that certain stations near me do sell flex fuel, I think I read that shell has flex 92. I could be wrong. Please correct me
Old 07-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
Thanks for the insight fellas, honestly my car feels great and powerful, but I can’t help but think how it may feel running e85. Money wise, I’m not concerned really, it’s more of will I feel the increase in performance and will it be worth driving 30 minutes out of the way to fuel up. I can always change my tune if I can’t get to Jays.

What is FF tune? Flex fuel I assume. But I don’t like to assume so I ask. And can I get a flex fuel tune from OFT (OFT is what I have)?

Also I currently am on Tomei UEL no cat Stage 2+. So if it would be like doubling what I have already, I think I’d go for it.

And Flex fuel, I read that certain stations near me do sell flex fuel, I think I read that shell has flex 92. I could be wrong. Please correct me

Yes FF is flex fuel. You can only do an OFT FF tune on prefaceflift cars. It needs to be an evap reference kit. FF kits like the Ptuning are rear O2 reference but can be converted to evap referenced if you are okay doing the wiring yourself. It requires a bit of yoga and some blasphemy’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
Sur

Ahh okay I get it, so I can’t pop in a FF tune without upgrading a few things
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
Ahh okay I get it, so I can’t pop in a FF tune without upgrading a few things
Yes, a FF kit has an ethanol content sensor and converter. It needs to feed this signal to the ECU somehow to reference it. This is usually done through the rear O2 sensor or evap since those are not used with most aftermarket tunes.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #11
Ducati.Femme

Correct, you need an FF kit to allow the FF tune to work properly. Not sure if it works on OFT, since I purchased the EcuTek knowing it would be upgraded early on. The kit allows the engine to be 'upgraded' in that it can actually use E85 appropriately. Then having a proper tuner go ahead and tune will get you the largest gains. Generally speaking my '17 came stock with 170bhp at the wheels. With the header, exaust and FF I dynoed at 200 at the wheels. So that's a snapshot picture for you. Obviously the dyno allows for more accurate tune than a flash tune OTA. Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #12
Sur

Thanks, might have to look in to ecutech. Since I didn’t pay of OFT, it wouldn’t be a loss.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Hey guys, would you say E85 is worth it? I don’t know how much it cost per gallon at a location like Jay’s Garage right now compared to pump gas but it’s like a 10 min drive from me and I’ve been thinking about trying it out. I would be running OFT E85 tune, not flex fuel. I’ll probably have 2-3 five gallon jugs on hand too so fueling up about once every 2 weeks. If the cost is cheaper, I wouldn’t mind going out of my way to fuel up for a little more power and less mileage since I don’t drive much besides work.
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehigh55 View Post
Hey guys, would you say E85 is worth it? I don’t know how much it cost per gallon at a location like Jay’s Garage right now compared to pump gas but it’s like a 10 min drive from me and I’ve been thinking about trying it out. I would be running OFT E85 tune, not flex fuel. I’ll probably have 2-3 five gallon jugs on hand too so fueling up about once every 2 weeks. If the cost is cheaper, I wouldn’t mind going out of my way to fuel up for a little more power and less mileage since I don’t drive much besides work.
Yes, flex fuel would be better. It is about the same price a gallon as premium but you are going to burn more of it.
Skyehigh55 (08-09-2022)