follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #267
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
ok guys I need some serious help...

My oem fluid shifted absolutely perfectly, I couldnt comprehend it when I read online people would grind with the clutch fully in; it was the dream transmission. For some reason I decided that I wanted to change the fluid to start on a clean page and remove all new car metal. This was done at 11k km

Fluid #1 Redline MTL: This is when shifting started to go meh. All my shifting woes are 2nd and third gear only. The feeling was that the synchros were too lubricated and wouldnt slow down enough to synchronise properly. I would get a clank or "really low rpm" grind occationally and it reduced shifting confidence for me.

Fluid #2: Amsoil synchromesh: was abit better not the best, got over it within a matter of 2 weeks

Fluid #3: Motul Gear 300. was ok still meh, worst performing when cold.

I then discovered that Fluid fill was a big variable in all this, I was never confident with how much I filled. I would put 2.2L.. nothing comes out, 2.3L.. still nothing then finally 2.4 just to be safe. so I refilled gear 300 to 2.2L EXACT. It was significantly better but still catchy sometimes. no soft grind anymore. I went back to the amsoil to 2.2L and its the best so far with the least frequency of catchy shifts but it still isnt what it used to be stock.

I know for a fact the transmission is in perfect condition based on the way I drive, how immaculate the fluids come out every single time and how much different it behaves with varying fluids. So now im completely out of ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Why not go back to OEM? Toyota LV 75W is what Toyota recommends as a replacement fill here in the US.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #268
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It looks like you're not afraid to experiment with fluids a bit...can you get Pentosin MTF2? It's been great in my car.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #269

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Why not go back to OEM? Toyota LV 75W is what Toyota recommends as a replacement fill here in the US.
I had a dream once I saw 2.20L of Toyota OEM fluid fall from the sky and ran for my drain bucket to try and catch as much of it as I can (no joke), no one has even the slightest clue in Australia. The dealers use Castrol, the parts and service department dont stock anything and buying oil from overseas get real costly real quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
It looks like you're not afraid to experiment with fluids a bit...can you get Pentosin MTF2? It's been great in my car.
MTF2 was going to be my second choice after the redline, loved the gmooker thread on it

To add to my list of tested fluids, I bought Redline MT90 and ran a mix with mtl, no real difference. did the same thing with Amsoil

Im considering pulling 50mL out of the tranny and running 2.15L to see how that goes, I feel like not all the fluid is coming out somehow. Pentosin/oem whatever I can manage to source will be my next option

appreciate the advice guys
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 504 For This Useful Post:
venturaII (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #270
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
I had a dream once I saw 2.20L of Toyota OEM fluid fall from the sky and ran for my drain bucket to try and catch as much of it as I can (no joke), no one has even the slightest clue in Australia. The dealers use Castrol, the parts and service department dont stock anything and buying oil from overseas get real costly real quick

MTF2 was going to be my second choice after the redline, loved the gmooker thread on it

To add to my list of tested fluids, I bought Redline MT90 and ran a mix with mtl, no real difference. did the same thing with Amsoil

Im considering pulling 50mL out of the tranny and running 2.15L to see how that goes, I feel like not all the fluid is coming out somehow. Pentosin/oem whatever I can manage to source will be my next option

appreciate the advice guys
I changed mine to MTF2 this previous weekend, and I added probably 2.5L as none seemed to come out. Shifting is great, especially when cold (it was tough to shift when cold previously).

Where do you live? is it warm?
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I changed mine to MTF2 this previous weekend, and I added probably 2.5L as none seemed to come out. Shifting is great, especially when cold (it was tough to shift when cold previously).

Where do you live? is it warm?

Sydney, we hitting around 17c now but average is low 20s and gets to 45c in summer at times so yeah its hot

My worry is that I waste another 120 on pentosin only to find that it fixed nothing and that it was something mechanical that is causing the issue. Fluid comes out brand new every time though even the magnet catches almost nothing . To add to that my issue started 3 days after OEM fluid change. Everything points to fluid at fault but after draining my tranny nearly on a weekly basis you do kinda lose confidence. Why is it only me where the transmission hates these name brand fluids, its incredibly frustrating

Thanks for the mini review on the pentosin though, I'm going to buy it this weekend and report back
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #272
ajcarson11

Ah -- If its hot then no need for pentosin. It only cost me $50 off amazon for all the fluid BTW. Not sure where you paying $120 :0

Wish I could help you otherwise... Everyone's transmission is just so different.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #273
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Change your manual transmission fluid ASAP!!!

Ya everyone's transmission is different. You should go back to stock since that was the best feel you had + it didn't cause you any trouble.

I have to admit feel wise stock did give me better feel then motul, but mine would grind or not go in gear occasionally .... Not to mention every morning I had to fight with it grinding going into 2nd while commuting if transmission is still cold.

Hence I switched it out around 5k.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:30 AM   #274
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Ah -- If its hot then no need for pentosin. It only cost me $50 off amazon for all the fluid BTW. Not sure where you paying $120 :0

Wish I could help you otherwise... Everyone's transmission is just so different.
can you give us the link? 3 qts of pentosin for less than $50? does not sound right.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #275
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
can you give us the link? 3 qts of pentosin for less than $50? does not sound right.
Sorry -- I guess I should have specified. Amazon has Pentosin MTF2 for $25 per liter... I only needed around 2 liters for my transmission. So $50. Even at 3L it should only run $75...

My point was, that I couldn't understand how 2.2L of anything could run $120.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
504 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #276
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
@504 You could have a mechanical issue, but as you stated, it started soon after your fluid change. I have tried a number of different fluids in mine, and the only thing that even came close to Pentosin was the Redline MTL/MT-90 mix. In my own experience, this transmission seems very sensitive to viscosity. Heavier oils give me a 2nd gear crunch, and while lighter ones seem to take care of that issue, I then get a slight catch (not really a grind) going into 3rd. With so many people reporting different results with various fluids, it is hard to say anything for sure...I can only speak on what I have found with my own car. Your symptoms seem very similar to what I have experienced, and like me, you seem pretty bothered by it. Try the Pentosin...if it does the trick, $120 is cheap peace of mind.
504 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #277

Ordered pentosin yesterday thanks roddy

@ajcarson11 can't really buy 2.2l of anything, went for 3l at 115 plus delivery. Aud to us is 0.7 the conversion rate alone nearly balances the price you suggested.s2k/370z/evo here cost 70k m3 is 170k so yeah different economies

I love the car to absolute bits esp after installing Perrin catback. Fixing this tranny issue would be pretty amazing

I'll update with my impressions of the mighty pentosin
The Following User Says Thank You to 504 For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (09-29-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #278
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I just took delivery of a 16' BRZ and the shifter feels noticeably rough. It only has 19 miles on it (5 when I first drove it) but for some reason when shifting out from 1st or 2nd it kind of gets "stuck" getting back to neutral, and also getting into 1st and 2nd, it feels as if it's grinding.

I sell Subarus and have driven many BRZ's with 5-6 miles on them and my shifter feels a little different. The 15' BRZ in stock has 42 miles (and i've driven it 12 miles on my own personal test drive) and the shifter is buttery smooth.

I'm wondering if the fluid change would help it out, or should I just drive the car a little more?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #279
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
I just took delivery of a 16' BRZ and the shifter feels noticeably rough. It only has 19 miles on it (5 when I first drove it) but for some reason when shifting out from 1st or 2nd it kind of gets "stuck" getting back to neutral, and also getting into 1st and 2nd, it feels as if it's grinding.

I sell Subarus and have driven many BRZ's with 5-6 miles on them and my shifter feels a little different. The 15' BRZ in stock has 42 miles (and i've driven it 12 miles on my own personal test drive) and the shifter is buttery smooth.

I'm wondering if the fluid change would help it out, or should I just drive the car a little more?
I would wait a while to do anything, you have basically no miles on your car. Tolerances are tight and you need to wear it in, it'll smooth out. If you're not happy after 1000 miles then I'd take action. I know these trannys are known for being tight then loosening up after you put some wear and tear on em
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #280
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
I know these trannys are known for being tight then loosening up after you put some wear and tear on em
Goodness...ok thx