follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Tacticalpanda

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shop destroyed my engine

A few months back i had my timing chain and gasket resealed by a local shop. I drove the car maybe 200 miles then put it away for the winter. Took it out last week put another 100 miles on it then brought it to a dealer to have the recall performed. Got a call today and they said my engine is in bad shape and should be replaced. Basically the engine was oil starved due to them not sealing the engine properly and using the wrong sealant and to much. Going to take a look and get pics tomorrow.

Curious how easy this is to prove it was there work that caused the damage? Also wondering if theyll refund my 1500 i paid as they ruined my engine. Guessing ill never see that money back but dont want to fork out 7k for a car i paid 11k for.
Tacticalpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
I would be on the phone with an attorney, a written statement from the dealership, and a quick call to BAR. Good luck
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,876 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticalpanda View Post
A few months back i had my timing chain and gasket resealed by a local shop. I drove the car maybe 200 miles then put it away for the winter. Took it out last week put another 100 miles on it then brought it to a dealer to have the recall performed. Got a call today and they said my engine is in bad shape and should be replaced. Basically the engine was oil starved due to them not sealing the engine properly and using the wrong sealant and to much. Going to take a look and get pics tomorrow.

Curious how easy this is to prove it was there work that caused the damage? Also wondering if theyll refund my 1500 i paid as they ruined my engine. Guessing ill never see that money back but dont want to fork out 7k for a car i paid 11k for.
Well, Tacticalpanda, that's a tough break -

I doubt the shop is going to refund your money, but you could ask them.

So, the dealership said your engine is in bad shape. What about the engine is in bad shape?

Yes, more information and pictures would be helpful.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

The dealer should put those statements in writing. Then you should calmly talk to the shop that did the work. When they say "no way" call a lawyer.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Tacticalpanda

Im hoping ill get something back. And lucky my work covers lawyer fees but hoping it never theres there.

Ill get pictures tomorrow but it sounds like the problem everyone whose engine failed after the recall happened to mine prior to the recall due to the sealant.

Ill get full details and hopefully get everything in writing
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
S3pt1c

Drives: Supercharged 2015 GTS86
I would hope that, considering that it is the dealership that is telling you what caused it, that you should be able to get that in writing from them and ask them to be willing to testify to what they have said. Let’s face it, they should stand by whatever they have informed you.
The odometer reading would have been taken before the timing chain and gasket work was carried out, so you can prove the low number of miles you have travelled since.
I would have thought that that would be plenty enough information for any decent solicitor to be able to write them a letter requiring them to pay all restitution costs leaving you with what you believed you should have had after they carried out the original work.
Hopefully it won’t take more than a couple of legal letters. Plus the threat of court costs etc. if it was to go that far.
Even if they still fight it, I still think you have a strong enough case to win it in a court.

Surely it has got to be worth it. If legal fees are an issue, the initial solicitor’s fees shouldn’t be too high for a letter or two. And I would hope that any good solicitor would let you know what chances you’d have of winning. Just don’t tell the solicitors up front that you have limited funds. Or, for that matter, the company that did the original work. Both should think that you are willing to do what it takes to get justice. If things do go the distance, and you really do have no money, then legal aid would hopefully assist you.
If you play it right though then I would hope that all parties would not wish to see a court room.

Just my 2-pennies-worth.

Good luck. I can imagine that the whole thing leaves a sickening feeling in your stomach and I have every sympathy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S3pt1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
Tacticalpanda

So i spoke to the shop and they dont belive its their fault and think toyota is being overly cautious saying a need a. ew engine due to recall issues. Also stating oil starvation would have caused mu engine to fail much sooner and i would have more issues such as senasors going off and cel. Ive attached a few photos. Which toyota pointed out. Toyota said you shouldnt see this type of wear and the other shop said this isnt much and is probably normal. Since i dont know enough looking for other about the wear shown. Also you can see the cloggy which looks mostly like gray rtv on the other side of the screen which was used in the repair. It does look like a few strands of possibly black rtv being pulles through. Or is that oil and rtv mixed? Not sure where to go as the engine is 10k on a 11k car. So obviously i wouldnt pay to have it fixed.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
msaikhan

Drives: frs
I had the same clogged oil screen because of the recall(dealer is replacing short block) and the wear on the cam was much less than that. And my car is at 120k so those are definitely not normal wear. I would be more worried about your rod bearings if your cams look like that. Try to make the shop pay for a short block and rebuild your engine if they say no, i would lawyer up.

Also, i didn't get any check engine lights. There is no CEL for "your engine is starving of oil".
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
Tacticalpanda (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Tacticalpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
I had the same clogged oil screen because of the recall(dealer is replacing short block) and the wear on the cam was much less than that. And my car is at 120k so those are definitely not normal wear. I would be more worried about your rod bearings if your cams look like that. Try to make the shop pay for a short block and rebuild your engine if they say no, i would lawyer up.

Also, i didn't get any check engine lights. There is no CEL for "your engine is starving of oil".
Thanks. Im trying to understand exactly whats going on before i do end up with a lawyer. The shop had printed out tha jalopnik article and was using that as part of his justification for why they think they are not at fault. He was saying that it black rtv in the screen. But in the lic you can see the grey rtv behind the screen which has clogged it.

How many.miles did you drive before your engine failed?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Thanks. Im trying to understand exactly whats going on before i do end up with a lawyer. The shop had printed out tha jalopnik article and was using that as part of his justification for why they think they are not at fault. He was saying that it black rtv in the screen. But in the lic you can see the grey rtv behind the screen which has clogged it.

How many.miles did you drive before your engine failed?
Didn't completely fail, i started hearing knock once it warmed up around 300 400 miles after recall. I had some black rtv in mine too. I would ask the dealership to check for play in your rods.

https://imgur.com/a/HGboxTZ
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,876 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, Tacticalpanda, I'm afraid that you are just SOL -

Yes, parts of that engine do not look to be in the best of shape.

Even if the engine got starved of oil and tried to eat itself within 300 miles, it would be tough to prove. However, you may consider taking them to small claims court and try to get your $1,500 back.

Bubba says to have the dealership complete the recall work, button that puppy up, fill it with 30 weight oil and trade it in or sell it to someone you don't like.

humfrz for Bubba
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote