follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #29
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
And i'd wish for there to be single cutout and single exhaust tip in first place, as even dual-tip, seem more of posing/less function(unnecessary weight & cost) for car with small displacement 4-banger. If one wants high-end style & looks, then center exhaust tip was way to go anyway vs dual or quad tips. Funny, but stock bumper cutouts make it look bad for single exhaust tip catbacks too, with cutout covers helping little, due cutout flange being convex, not flat, and all available covers not helping hiding it.
Its not an heavy exhaust by any means. Smh. Styling is styling not sure what you mean by posing....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #30
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Posing in way of adding redundant tips for faking big V engine with dual exhaust streams, when in reality most know what's under the hood in these cars, and there is just single downpipe to axleback and in reality there are only functional drawbacks of weight/complexity/cost increase. Single tip would rather tell me that owner (or manufacturer, if that had been OE choice) cares about actual function (eg. reducing said weight/cost and simplify manufacturing) instead of bling. I'm feeling about dual or quad tips similar like of eg. adding fake-turbo whistles to exhaust.
Please, take no offense, tastes are different and subjective, i just stated mine. Posted here just because going single exhaust tip route also visually looks worse then it might be due those extruded cutout flanges in OE bumper even with aftermarket cutout cover
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #31
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Posing in way of adding redundant tips for faking big V engine with dual exhaust streams, when in reality most know what's under the hood in these cars, and there is just single downpipe to axleback and in reality there are only functional drawbacks of weight/complexity/cost increase. Single tip would rather tell me that owner (or manufacturer, if that had been OE choice) cares about actual function (eg. reducing said weight/cost and simplify manufacturing) instead of bling. I'm feeling about dual or quad tips similar like of eg. adding fake-turbo whistles to exhaust.
I'm not offended in the slightest, but this stark of an opinion is like saying people who wear collared shirts are acting like they've got a doctorate's degree, when you know they work at the gas station.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (03-08-2022)
Old 09-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #32
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm not offended in the slightest, but this stark of an opinion is like saying people who wear collared shirts are acting like they've got a doctorate's degree, when you know they work at the gas station.
One of the best analogies I've read in a while . I can assure anyone that this exhaust does not take away function, and its not heavy. The tips are for style. The new mk7 golf r comes with dual tips and best believe it ain't no posser. But I do get homie was saying tho but my some of my feather got ruffled a bit haha.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 04:39 AM   #33
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Please, take no offense, tastes are different and subjective, i just stated mine. Posted here just because going single exhaust tip route also visually looks worse then it might be due those extruded cutout flanges in OE bumper even with aftermarket cutout cover
I did heavily consider going single and getting a bumper cover but our bumpers are pretty much shaped to have dual exhausts. even if someone molded a cover over the second cutout and it looked completely flush/clean with no lines, the rear bumper would still look off with the excess dead space on the one side.

My personal preference = quads w/ modded bumper > stock duals > quads with stock bumper = single with bumper cover. The last 2 just looks off and unnatural for the stock rear bumpers.
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #34
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I know you know that aftermarket valved mufflers don't meet ADRs, right?
And who is going around pulling people over and dismantling their catbacks to inspect the top part for a small motor?

Xforce has been selling these catbacks and butterfly valve systems for 7+ years, haven't seen a single person have any issues.

Most people are running some form of aftermarket exhaust that would be considered 'illegal' regardless, and the whole point of the valve is not to draw unwanted attention during the 90% of normal driving. I'm not a reckless driver, my car isn't an overly done up and has nothing blatant to warrant police to check on me (no giant wing/widebody, stock ride height no stickers). The only way my valve system would ever be found out, is if I was pulled over in the act of doing something wrong (blatantly speeding with the valve open), inwhich case their reason of suspicion would be the catback sound output and not the valve- with the consequences of them checking it out being the same ie. refer to the EPA.

Motor is nowhere in sight when mounted to the car, no chance they're seeing it unless they literally get out a tiny camera and torch and have an arm small enough to fit all the way up there

(That's not my car btw incase someone is reading the part about my car not being overly done up and is confused about the contrasting bright blue 86 i've linked..)

Last edited by Sam86; 09-28-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #35
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
And who is going around pulling people over and dismantling their catbacks to inspect the top part for a small motor?

Xforce has been selling these catbacks and butterfly valve systems for 7+ years, haven't seen a single person have any issues
Sure, but that wasn't my question. It doesn't concern me if you are aware of the fact.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #36
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
I did heavily consider going single and getting a bumper cover but our bumpers are pretty much shaped to have dual exhausts. even if someone molded a cover over the second cutout and it looked completely flush/clean with no lines, the rear bumper would still look off with the excess dead space on the one side.

My personal preference = quads w/ modded bumper > stock duals > quads with stock bumper = single with bumper cover. The last 2 just looks off and unnatural for the stock rear bumpers.
I don't know, I agree for the reverse reason to you. I think it's equally as strange that the stock 86/BRZ has 4+ inch dual outlets yet has an extremely underwhelming exhaust note for a car in general, let alone a 'sports' car both in terms of sound output and the tone itself. I would've liked stock quads like mentioned above found on GTI's, but I don't want to modify my bumper as it's irreversible, and I don't find it overwhelmingly better looking.

But obviously it's all up to individuals taste
Old 09-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #37
Sam86

Quote:
It's not posing, 1 exhaust tip for each cylinder
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
Joveen (09-28-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 01:23 AM   #38
Sam86

Update for me, need some advice on what to look for when it comes to an exhaust leak.

I just installed my valved exhaust and it's fairly loud, when I close the valve I hear a slight sound reduction/ less rumble (I have UEL headers) but it isn't as much of a difference as I was expecting.

I ran into some issues during the install, the hardware that I was provided to connect the catback to the front pipe didn't fit (bolt was too big for OEM midpipe, and there was no room for the donut gasket to fit in.
To fix this I used a spare bolt I had lying around that was the same size as the OEM bolt and used the OEM nut with some plastic spacers to tighten it, with a gasket that came with my aftermarket exhaust in between.

I had a lot of trouble lining up the exhausts, I couldn't quite rotate it the way I wanted it to, but after a lot of fiddling I somewhat got it tightened, but it wasn't perfectly aligned. (Was as tight as I could get it)

Anyway, starting up my car it's pretty loud, it's hard to hear if there's anything wrong especially as my UEL headers are making a lot of noise for me to listen to the front pipe area.

I'll take it for a drive but after leaving it idle there weren't any physical leaks like condensation from the front-mid pipe connection.

But yea the idle is pretty loud and rumbly, and I haven't even heard it accelerating yet

-Update-

Just went for a drive and whilst i'm still not confident in how sealed the mid and front pipes are, I don't think there's any leaks. My exhaust might just be louder to me since i'm so used to the quiet stock exhaust. There isn't really any drone inside when the windows are up, and it's mostly quiet when cruising however accelerating from gear 1-3 from a stop it's REALLY rumbly and I can't really control it even whilst shifting at like 2k RPMS. The idle seemed to quieten down though but I couldn't hear any difference between valve open and valve closed when inside the car.

When I stepped on the gas and went to 6-7k RPMS, it was really rumbly and loud up until about 5k and then it stopped rumbling a little.

Either way the car sounds awesome, just like an old WRX, although I will be a bit paranoid if a cop is next to be at a red

Last edited by Sam86; 10-02-2020 at 01:56 AM.