follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 AM   #1
the_gluv

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Help Choosing a exhaust..before my head explodes

First off this place is a great source of information, information that I have searched, I have read the stickies, watched more hours of video with my ear pressed to a speaker like it makes sound clearer. I was researching exhausts befor I bought the car about a year ago, and saving money for one, I finally got enough cash about 6 months ago, and I can't decide. Simple as that, I want uel header, and cat back, nameless performance 2.5 inch down pipe and axle back sound great (this option max's my budget so no header) but I'm not sure if 4 inch will be too loud, but I don't want to be to quiet with 5 inch....I'm open to other options, suggestions. I live about 45 mins from cleveland ohio, basically in a corn field ( but have to drive 50 miles for e85... lol another story) I haven't met another 86 owner, let alone anyone with a exhaust to hear in person. About a years worth of information is just mush in my brain. I have about 1300$, not opposed to used parts, not a brand name whore either I appreciate any help, not even sure what I am asking, I understand save more for header and tune..... have most of you spent the 2000 to 2500 that I keep figuring the total cost will be? I understand you have to pay to play, I am afraid to make the wrong decision any advice, suggestions, insults, or thrown tomatoes will be greatly appreciated. If nothing else, this is my first post so hello, thanks
the_gluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #2
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like a N1 invidia with a PPE el merge collector for performance or a N1 with a Tomei UEL for that Subie rumble
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
No personal suggestions to make in that price range but you would do better to invest in a pair of head phones. You will get a much more accurate listen of what exhausts sound like when watching videos.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just got a Perrin 2.5 resonated installed everything else is stock as far as exhaust.
Everyone's ears are different. IMHO the Perrin had the best low bass rumble. Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Do owners get together in your region? If you can hook up with some meets you'll have an opportunity to listen to various setups firsthand.

Recordings don't come close to the real thing. The differences are remarkable. I don't think there's any one best. Many sound great to my ears.

But I'm bone stock because all the decent sounds require compromising emissions control. That's a non starter for me.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't sacrifice the header due to budget restraints. Imo that, with tune should be first. So many combinations available. I liked my el header but might be doing a ofh soon. Get rid of torque dip and enjoy the car. It's like night and day.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gluv View Post
First off this place is a great source of information, information that I have searched, I have read the stickies, watched more hours of video with my ear pressed to a speaker like it makes sound clearer. I was researching exhausts befor I bought the car about a year ago, and saving money for one, I finally got enough cash about 6 months ago, and I can't decide. Simple as that, I want uel header, and cat back, nameless performance 2.5 inch down pipe and axle back sound great (this option max's my budget so no header) but I'm not sure if 4 inch will be too loud, but I don't want to be to quiet with 5 inch....I'm open to other options, suggestions. I live about 45 mins from cleveland ohio, basically in a corn field ( but have to drive 50 miles for e85... lol another story) I haven't met another 86 owner, let alone anyone with a exhaust to hear in person. About a years worth of information is just mush in my brain. I have about 1300$, not opposed to used parts, not a brand name whore either I appreciate any help, not even sure what I am asking, I understand save more for header and tune..... have most of you spent the 2000 to 2500 that I keep figuring the total cost will be? I understand you have to pay to play, I am afraid to make the wrong decision any advice, suggestions, insults, or thrown tomatoes will be greatly appreciated. If nothing else, this is my first post so hello, thanks
Well, HELLO the_gluv and welcome to posting........

Most folks start with a header and work their way back.

In your case (and budget), I suggest you start with an axle back muffler and work your way forward.

I would recommend the nameless axle back with 2.5" piping and 4" mufflers.

Why start at the back? Because, that muffler may be all you're looking for.....it will give you a sports car sound at a reasonable cost. Then if you want to go with a header in the future, that muffler system will still be good.

I have the system with the 5" mufflers, but in your case, with all the corn fields to absorb sound, the 4" mufflers may be more fun.

Plus, if you leave out a header from the equation, you won't have old ladies throwing tomatoes at your car, as you rumble through the county side on warm summer evenings, smelling the new mowed hay and honeysuckle vines.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
15limited (07-23-2016), Cole (07-25-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gluv View Post

If you just want a bit of sound just change the catback or axel back (muffler) section.

you wont need tune or get CEL code, but you wont get any power increase.

Problem is you need to make up your mind if your going to do more exhaust mods.

Why , because if you get a loudish catback like Invida N1 or most of the canister types, they are ok with rest of exhaust stock, and wont be too loud.

But if you then get catless header/tune and/or catless front pipe those types are then often ear bleeding loud.

You need a full muffler type catback with resonator like Invida Q300 if your going to do further exhaust mods like catless header/tune.

Unfortunately that type can be a little "quiet" for some people on its own.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
15limited (07-23-2016), thunderlights (07-25-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
From my experience your axle back and header choice will play the biggest role in how your exhaust will sound. Cats, not dogs, help with noise level and drone. If you want some rumble and a big bump in power, as far as NA, goes, a header and tune will be your best bet for ~$1300.

I went with a Gruppe-S header and OP with ecutek custom dyno tuning. If you do the install yourself and get a pre-programmed tuned you can save some money. As I'm sure you've read the OFT/OFH combo is also popular, which I believe you can tune in for E85 I'd you choose to go that route.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
the_gluv

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I appreciate all the help, just have to bite the bullet and pick one, I'm sure I will be happy with any of the options you guys listed, and if not I'll pretend to love it so my girlfriend doesn't kill me for talking to her about car exhaust s all the time. As far as the old women with tomatoes they better keep practicing to hit a moving target, which is very hard through the corn rows. I wouldn't mind a kernel or two popping when I pass, but I also don't want a down shift to make crop circles! Thanks again
the_gluv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_gluv For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Somebody has to do it!

Old 07-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
mcbrawr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To be honest: OFH + OFT (tune) + Tanabe Concept G single exit sounded so good in person that I bought one the next week. I don't see many folks running it, but I can assure you it's a quality exhaust and it makes the car sound aggressive but not obnoxious. Zero droning. Quiet when you're not stomping it. If you don't mind a single exit (i prefer how it looks, tbh) then that's what I would recommend.

EDIT: You can snag the Tanabe exhaust for <$500 if you google it.