follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Wyattkb

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Warranty Work With Mods + Extended Warranty

I know this has probably been covered 100x but I just want to hear some peoples personal experience and advice specific to my situation.

I have a JDL UEL catless header, short shifter, berk muffler delete, and an OFT.

If I take my car in with those mods for TSB's or any other warranty work what will happen?

Can they refuse to do future warranty work since I have non street legal parts? Will I be noted in the system as having modifications?

Reason I ask is my car is approaching the 36k mile mark and have yet to take it in for anything. I also have the Toyota 100k extended warranty and am debating on keeping it since I have these mods. If I get rid of it that's $30 a month off my car note.

If I put everything to stock wouldn't they still be able to notice e.g. bolts on header not aligned like they were from factory?

I have had 0 issues other than a rattling shifter (stock and aftermarket).

TL;DR Have mods, should I keep extended warranty?
Wyattkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
yes. this kind of questions 100x ++++++++++++++++
so i will skip and not typing.

as far as keeping extended warranty, i wouldnt keep it. because you're modding it.
if i just keep a car as stock, i will keep extended warranty but modding a car with warranty?? i wouldnt waste my money on it
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
xlid007

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It depends on the dealer. I have taken my car in with Tomei UEL Header, Catback, AFE Intake and OFT and all I get are complements on the car. The only thing I would do is flash the car back to stock in case they have to run diagnostics on it. Find a mod friendly dealer.
xlid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xlid007 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlid007 View Post
It depends on the dealer. I have taken my car in with Tomei UEL Header, Catback, AFE Intake and OFT and all I get are complements on the car. The only thing I would do is flash the car back to stock in case they have to run diagnostics on it. Find a mod friendly dealer.
keep in mind some of these dealership technicians and service agents try and lull you into a false sense of security, noting everything, and in the case warranty work specific to these modded or replaced parts has to be performed, may call on their observation notes to bar service. My close friend is the finance manager at one of the largest WA toyota/scion dealers and says that happens more often than one would think.

And then there's the obvious detective work scenarios where customers have been denied claims from evidence of their modding being on the internet (youtube, this forum, etc)
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote