follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #43
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I also ordered a new filter in hopes I can run it right off the turbo...but I may not. I can't make my mind up. I have dual Radium cans and want to keep the system closed but I bought everything I need to make it a VTA setup like your full blown can

I also am just hoping the new filter I got will go on the intake pipe and have more clearance. I should have it today or tomorrow, we will see.
@Rybot - JDL can have things chromed or coated whatever you want. They don't do the chroming in house though. I had a few other things chromed but unforunately the first chroming shop did a shitty job on some of the pieces I had done, and they were supposed to chrome the compressor housing and instead just took it upon themselves to polish it and thats it. They sent it out to a different company so i'm waiting on that. I'm actually glad the first place didn't chrome the compressor housing because they probably would have screwed it up.

Yomny - how long did you run the kit until you noticed that leak?
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #44
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
I also ordered a new filter in hopes I can run it right off the turbo...but I may not. I can't make my mind up. I have dual Radium cans and want to keep the system closed but I bought everything I need to make it a VTA setup like your full blown can

I also am just hoping the new filter I got will go on the intake pipe and have more clearance. I should have it today or tomorrow, we will see.
@Rybot - JDL can have things chromed or coated whatever you want. They don't do the chroming in house though. I had a few other things chromed but unforunately the first chroming shop did a shitty job on some of the pieces I had done, and they were supposed to chrome the compressor housing and instead just took it upon themselves to polish it and thats it. They sent it out to a different company so i'm waiting on that. I'm actually glad the first place didn't chrome the compressor housing because they probably would have screwed it up.

Bout three months or so. The odd things is that it just started. I changed the boost around but nothing absurd and the intake as my original one was getting damaged. Which intake did you get, I've been through two so I know what'll fit lol. I also a few posts above about the ones I've used and how they failed. Currently the one I have is working great it's K&N ru-3390 if I recall right.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #45
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Bout three months or so. The odd things is that it just started. I changed the boost around but nothing absurd and the intake as my original one was getting damaged. Which intake did you get, I've been through two so I know what'll fit lol. I also a few posts above about the ones I've used and how they failed. Currently the one I have is working great it's K&N ru-3390 if I recall right.
Well I had ordered one with intentions of running it right off the turbo...so I looked for one that was a bit shorter than the one that came with it and ended up ordering SN-2580. I was looking for one similar to the filter JDL runs off their 30r setup I think.

The one provided is RU-5090, and its a little over 5 1/2 long. The one I ordered is 4" and also is tapered so there will be more clearance near the ABS unit. The bottom diameter is slightly larger than the 5090 but it tapers to 3" which is 1" smaller than the provided 5090. I'm going to try to run it with the intake first but we will see. I may have to return it but i'll keep you posted.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #46
yomny

Quote:
Well I had ordered one with intentions of running it right off the turbo...so I looked for one that was a bit shorter than the one that came with it and ended up ordering SN-2580. I was looking for one similar to the filter JDL runs off their 30r setup I think.

The one provided is RU-5090, and its a little over 5 1/2 long. The one I ordered is 4" and also is tapered so there will be more clearance near the ABS unit. The bottom diameter is slightly larger than the 5090 but it tapers to 3" which is 1" smaller than the provided 5090. I'm going to try to run it with the intake first but we will see. I may have to return it but i'll keep you posted.
Oh I keep forgetting this is for the gtx turbos. Let me knows how it goes. I went to k&n website and sarcjed by dimensions, basically length under 3.5" and flange diameter 4" in your case. I'm not sure in your case how much space you have between the turbo I let and the abs unit or the chassis which is right behind the driver headlamp, there's a little piece there which interferes first. Best of luck.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #47
xxscaxx

Quote:
Oh I keep forgetting this is for the gtx turbos. Let me knows how it goes. I went to k&n website and sarcjed by dimensions, basically length under 3.5" and flange diameter 4" in your case. I'm not sure in your case how much space you have between the turbo I let and the abs unit or the chassis which is right behind the driver headlamp, there's a little piece there which interferes first. Best of luck.
I honestly think the outlet on my turbo and yours are the same. Looks to use the same filter in both setups, so your housing must be 2.75 like mine is. Not sure if the space is the same but right now just mocking it up I don't know how that filter they sent will fit which is why I tried getting another one lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #48
yomny

Quote:
I honestly think the outlet on my turbo and yours are the same. Looks to use the same filter in both setups, so your housing must be 2.75 like mine is. Not sure if the space is the same but right now just mocking it up I don't know how that filter they sent will fit which is why I tried getting another one lol.

Yeah mines 2.75", always thought the GTX's were all 4".. I think going off the pics you've I think our setup mounts exactly the same way and place so you'll need a shorty like the one I posted above.. it was 2.6" in length but it the rubber flange was torn due to the heat and clamp and also the hang it just hung by the flange without any support under it so the weight and vibrations added to the rubber being torn. See below, that's what I used but it tore off, so got a different one, longer and with an angled flange. Got any pics of the one you ordered.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #49
xxscaxx

Quote:
Yeah mines 2.75", always thought the GTX's were all 4".. I think going off the pics you've posted that you have more space between the comp housing and the chassis.
I think 30 and up go to 4"...gtx28 is a baby turbo

Looking at our pics it may be a tiny bit more of space but I doubt it. The turbo still needs to line up with the intercooler piping, so if theres a difference its probably small. Ill find out this weekend.

Figures, i've been waiting a few weeks now on the rest of this stuff to show up, and everything got shipped out monday but because of the location I won't get my stuff on saturday. I won't be around this weekend because of a bachelor party

Should be able to get to it late sunday I hope.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #50
yomny

Enjoy the time off, once the modding starts it's going to be bruises, cuts and burns lol.. That gtx28 has got to be one fun turbo.. I would have gotten the same.. no need for much more power than what that supports imo and the spool has to be adorable.

Quote:
I think 30 and up go to 4"...gtx28 is a baby turbo

Looking at our pics it may be a tiny bit more of space but I doubt it. The turbo still needs to line up with the intercooler piping, so if theres a difference its probably small. Ill find out this weekend.

Figures, i've been waiting a few weeks now on the rest of this stuff to show up, and everything got shipped out monday but because of the location I won't get my stuff on saturday. I won't be around this weekend because of a bachelor party

Should be able to get to it late sunday I hope.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #51
xxscaxx

Quote:
Enjoy the time off, once the modding starts it's going to be bruises, cuts and burns lol.. That gtx28 has got to be one fun turbo.. I would have gotten the same.. no need for much more power than what that supports imo and the spool has to be adorable.
haha come on man, you know EVERYTHING is done besides me bolting the overpipe/downpipe on and the compressor housing, and connecting the hotside IC piping. Then I just have to prime the turbo and start the thing

Oh sorry, and pulling off all the saran wrap off everything because I didn't want anything getting scratched during installation LOL

I'm looking forward to it, we will see. Hopefully no hiccups and ill be off and running next week. Nothing like my car sitting for 8+months
Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #52
yomny

Quote:
haha come on man, you know EVERYTHING is done besides me bolting the overpipe/downpipe on and the compressor housing, and connecting the hotside IC piping. Then I just have to prime the turbo and start the thing

Oh sorry, and pulling off all the saran wrap off everything because I didn't want anything getting scratched during installation LOL

I'm looking forward to it, we will see. Hopefully no hiccups and ill be off and running next week. Nothing like my car sitting for 8+months
Wow.. that long.. I could imagine.. Looking forward to it, get some shots when its all done.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #53
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't coat my housing. I'd rather have a stealth-ish look despite the system being extremely obvious.

Bad luck with that first shop. Post pics of what you got done when you finally get it!
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #54
Rybot

Quote:

How can you let that car sit for that long? It's crying for some attention. I can hear it from here.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #55
Rybot

Do we know if any of the ball bearing upgrades they offer are really any better? Faster spooling? Longevity?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #56
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Anybody here running the JDL Twin scroll?
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote