follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
BrakeCheck

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buddy Club P1 Installation Issues.

Can anyone figure out what’s scraping on my car,
I replaced my Front Lower Control Arms on my FRS, I also have Tien Flex Z coilovers, those are the only mods I have that would interfere.
The problem only occurs while I’m driving forward, driving backwards doesn’t seem to have any problems at all.
There is a scraping sound which appears to be on a moving part.
When I’m close to full wheel lock on either side it will pull very hard into full lock, if I’m at roughly 85% lock it will yank it into the rest.
The only differences between the stock Lower Control arms and the ones I got (Buddy Club P1)
Is that the size of the ball joint/bolt is slightly bigger, to accommodate for a lowered car.
The arms I supposed to work on stock height or lowered height.

I was thinking of maybe lowering my car, I also heard of adjusting the Toe Alignment, I would just drive out to get an alignment, but I really don’t think an alignment will completely fix it, I do definitely need an alignment, but I don’t wanna spend the money until I can know that an alignment is all I need otherwise I’d just be wasting my money if I had to adjust it afterwards.

I wasn’t able to get a video, I only have zipties and such and my phone, and there’s like nowhere to mount my phone to see a good enough angle.
I’m sure there is but it’s 1000 degrees outside and the road burns through whatever I have on the ground.

I did have a video but there’s no visibility to actually see what’s going on, I will try to get a video later today.
BrakeCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
BrakeCheck

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, here’s an update to the situation, me and my friend just did a more thorough look at what is happening on my car.
We jacked it up and while I was holding the steering wheel all the way to one side, he spun it and found what was catching, the wheels themselves were catching on the new Control Arms, still not 100% sure why how and what, cause I’m pretty sure those control arms are the exact same dimensions as the oem, the only difference being the length of the bushing.
I have some spacers coming in soon so we’ll be able to find out if that fixes it.
Still also not sure on why the problems only appear to be while going forward and not in reverse. I’m guess that’s due to the forces pulling the front of the car down driving forward, but we were going less than 5mph while testing.
It’s also hitting the wheel balancing weights on the outside of the wheel.

Solution for now, spacers.
Solution for later, possibly lower the car.
BrakeCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:14 AM   #3
Setgo

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Crystal Black Silica
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeCheck View Post
So, here’s an update to the situation, me and my friend just did a more thorough look at what is happening on my car.
We jacked it up and while I was holding the steering wheel all the way to one side, he spun it and found what was catching, the wheels themselves were catching on the new Control Arms, still not 100% sure why how and what, cause I’m pretty sure those control arms are the exact same dimensions as the oem, the only difference being the length of the bushing.
I have some spacers coming in soon so we’ll be able to find out if that fixes it.
Still also not sure on why the problems only appear to be while going forward and not in reverse. I’m guess that’s due to the forces pulling the front of the car down driving forward, but we were going less than 5mph while testing.

What are your wheel dimensions? I'm curious to know what you currently have.
Setgo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Setgo For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeCheck View Post

What part of the control arm was it hitting? The new ball joint side?

I believe the P1 front lower arms are painted oem arms with the new bushings like you mentioned.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote