follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2021, 03:20 AM   #281
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandermannnn View Post
Heel & Toe is really what makes driving a manual fun to me. Looking back on before I knew how, I still enjoyed driving stick but had no idea how much of the experience I was missing out on. Even driving in traffic on my way to work is enjoyable now.
I hadn’t driven a manual car in a little while and drove my buddies S14 today. Man, really makes me miss daily driving a stick car… Heel toed it, did some double clutching. It makes driving so gratifying IMO.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #282
Jianlun

Drives: GR86 RC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
https://www.carbibles.com/the-2022-t...s-awesome/?amp

Sorry if repost. Nice summary of the recent reviews. For me, it makes it more refreshing to re-read the reviews here than to keep going back to the individual articles, as I nurse the emptiness I am feeling now while waiting for the car to be on sale.... hahah.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jianlun For This Useful Post:
Pete (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #283
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,007 Times in 2,208 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ok. Is there a front tow point anymore for my offset front plate mount?
Isn't obvious either in the plastic grill or plastic painted fascia.

(or for towing it out of a hedge it's backed into at speed)

Last edited by bcj; 08-21-2021 at 11:06 AM.
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #284
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
You can absolutely take it to redline (you cannot exceed redline though).

A track day as part of year one - so I think tracking the car will be fine.

The problem, as always, you generally void warranty if you have modded the cars ECU or significant other parts of the car that could be related to the issue.
If you read carefully, there's fine print to the "one free track day" that says if you go to the track it may void warranty and cause serious injury or death. The regular legal stuff.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-21-2021), Pete (08-21-2021), spike021 (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #285
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post

Yep, same spot
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #286
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post

Look like it.
Attached Images

dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-21-2021), Blighty (08-21-2021), timurrrr (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #287
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Now that they have "GAZOO RACING" in the name of the car will they still deny warranty claims for blown engines if you take it to the track or drift it or will they still say you abused the car by reving it to redline?

Did they fix the oiling issues? only time will tell.
It comes with a free track day and a full year membership to NASA so I imagine they'll be somewhat lenient with any track-related issues. Not to mention they call their red color Track bRed. It seems they're pretty confident in the track reliability of this second gen but like you said, time will tell.

Personally I've never had any engine issues with my first gen after dozens of track, autocross and hard canyon days.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #288
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,341 Times in 7,389 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
While I agree it is a good skill to learn, I think that is overstating it. Some Porsche factory drivers used to say the same thing. Then Porsche dialed in the programming for auto blip and after a year of using it they prefer to be automated. The crew prefers it also as the transmissions have been more reliable since implementation of auto blip.
I get what you are saying, kinda like the manual vs, auto argument. Modern auto's are faster, auto blip can be better. I'd just prefer to develop the ability to do something rather then rely on it be done for me and not be able to do it if I am in a car without that feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Why should one group's preference for manual blipping dictate what everyone else can buy? That's elitism at its best. As long as the auto rev-matching feature is fully and easily defeatable everyone can be happy. Some people may not have ability to do it properly when faced with all the other demands of street or track driving, making it a dangerous distraction, or don't want to risk their transmission getting damaged to learn it.
It doesn't. Don't misconstrued what I say either. I called it a crutch for those who haven't learned to do it properly yet. Learning to heel toe isn't a requirement, it is just a good skill to have and something you should learn to do. If you can't, or don't want to, then don't If that makes me an elitist, then I am an elitist I guess.
spike021 (08-21-2021), timurrrr (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #289
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I get what you are saying, kinda like the manual vs, auto argument. Modern auto's are faster, auto blip can be better. I'd just prefer to develop the ability to do something rather then rely on it be done for me and not be able to do it if I am in a car without that feature.

It doesn't. Don't misconstrued what I say either. I called it a crutch for those who haven't learned to do it properly yet. Learning to heel toe isn't a requirement, it is just a good skill to have and something you should learn to do. If you can't, or don't want to, then don't If that makes me an elitist, then I am an elitist I guess.
I don’t think it’s elitist. It’s something you like to do, a good skill and you enjoy it. As long as you are not preachy, no big deal. In too many years on enthusiast forums I see people trying to yuck someone else’s yum. I rarely see an auto guy say an MT sucks, but if I had a dollar for every time an MT guy says auto sucks, I would be on a GT3 forum instead of here. Clearly neither suck, they are just choices. Personally if I drove MT, I would try to learn heel and toe, I mean why not. But having at least a choice for autoblip is not bad, no ones forcing you to use it.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-22-2021), daiheadjai (08-21-2021), mistople (08-21-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-21-2021), StE92ve (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #290
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
If you read carefully, there's fine print to the "one free track day" that says if you go to the track it may void warranty and cause serious injury or death. The regular legal stuff.
I have not seen the details - would be great to see them though, I assume GR Yaris and GR Supra owners have them? Apparently the whole club thing is for them too? Well it is in Australia anyway.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #291
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
^ Yes I can certainly see if you can master heel-toe it adds to your driving engagement. But for those that can't a manual with rev matching will still be more engaging than an AT, or a manual without it.

IIRC tuners did try to add auto-blipping as a tune option on the twins years ago, but it didn't work very well.
Yeah I think its not super easy to get right, even manufacturers struggle to get it right on manuals.

You never know, it might come out later on with a facelift. Until then its a brilliant skill and fun to practice in your daily drive.

Not sure if this is the official way or not, but when I first started Id just practice with gentle breaking - with the clutch fully depressed. Just press your toe on the break so that you can lift your heel enough to slide it over onto the accelerator and blip it. Don't worry about how much you blip it at the start, its just the motion of clutch in, toe depressed, slid heal and blip. One that feels natural and comfortable then add changing down a gear and and clutch release. When you start doing it quick, god it feels good. A tight gearchange while breaking is a sublime feeling of control.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:26 PM   #292
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
if I had a dollar for every time an MT guy says auto sucks, I would be on a GT3 forum instead of here. Clearly neither suck, they are just choices.
Except some autos actually suck
Even in the last ~10 years, there were a bunch of cars where a manual was way quicker than the same car with auto.

But some autos are pretty good indeed, and some are quicker than manual for performance driving.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:18 AM   #293
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unless the automatics are dramatically improved I'll stick to manual. BMW autos are great, Toyota autos still feel like slushboxes (I've driven both manual and auto FR-S on the track, latter feels slower).

Rev-matching is just an extra cost that's unnecessary (adding features to the car, R&D, testing isn't free). Autos are faster than manuals and racing, yes. But the whole point of a manual is to value the analog feel above best lap times.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:50 AM   #294
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I remember test driving an automatic '17 before I ordered my (manual) car. It was fine, it drove well and was responsive, it was a perfectly fine transmission for a daily and I would not fault someone for buying it. The 86/BRZ are above all super fun daily drivers and many of them will never see the track, a smooth and fast AT that has an all-gears lockup is a better deal than an SMG.

It seems however that for 2022 the autos are getting changed to a 3.9 final drive, and I feel that even with the added torque, that combined with the already longer gears of the AT may not suit the car well: It'll be fine for high speed-long range cruising or a very eco 60mph, but these cars are not grand tourers.

It's already a bummer that manuals are going back down to 4.1 :\
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote