follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #85
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Went to Manassas back in July, improved best time a bit (22.443).

This Thursday I am planning to go to Jessup again, should be there around 6 pm. Anyone in?

Also, Manassas starts a league, Wednesdays 8 pm, every 2 weeks starting 9/14. See their FB page. I'm trying to join the league, though have no confirmation yet. Maybe my times won't be good enough.

In other news, the Dominion Raceway track in Thornburg VA is opening next weekend... http://karting.dominionraceway.com/ . Gas and outdoor, should be fun, pity I probably won't have time to go there....
How are the crowds & drivers in Manassas? I haven't gone back since opening weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #86
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
How are the crowds & drivers in Manassas? I haven't gone back since opening weekend.

Crowds weren't too bad, some waiting time but not terrible for a Saturday evening. One thing thay changed is that preeviously they would put me in back to back races sometimes, meaning I had to jump out of my kart before it was allowed, run to the other lane and drive off immediately, having little time to even put the seat belts on properly. Now they stopped doing it, there was always at least one race inbetween, and I think it was good.

Drivers are a mixture, sometimes I have a feeling that they are worse in Jessup on average, just because the track is in a mall. So random people come to the mall, see the track, and give it a try. This is why I am signing up for the league now. But it's not much worse than in Jessup, I think.

What I don't like is that they put up to 10 karts in a race, should be not more than 7-8 on this track.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #87
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Crowds weren't too bad, some waiting time but not terrible for a Saturday evening. One thing thay changed is that preeviously they would put me in back to back races sometimes, meaning I had to jump out of my kart before it was allowed, run to the other lane and drive off immediately, having little time to even put the seat belts on properly. Now they stopped doing it, there was always at least one race inbetween, and I think it was good.

Drivers are a mixture, sometimes I have a feeling that they are worse in Jessup on average, just because the track is in a mall. So random people come to the mall, see the track, and give it a try. This is why I am signing up for the league now. But it's not much worse than in Jessup, I think.

What I don't like is that they put up to 10 karts in a race, should be not more than 7-8 on this track.
Thank you! I'll need to check it out again.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #88
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
This Thursday I am planning to go to Jessup again, should be there around 6 pm. Anyone in?

I wanted to improve my best time on Monaco track... did not happen.

But I won all my races (one by just 0.033 s though)

They changed the layout of the LeMans track again, and it's fabulous now.

Last edited by mdm; 08-18-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #89
alxtheoreo

Quote:
I wanted to improve my best time on Monaco track... did not happen.

But I won all my races (one by just 0.033 s though)

They changed the layout of the LeMans track again, and it's fabulous now.
Winning is winning. Lol.

Where did they make the change?

mdm (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #90
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I looked on the website, but the LeMans track still looks the same from the last time I went. I'm trying to go sometime in the fall, since summer is extremely busy for me. Trying to get a group of my friends to go, but none of my friends are car people.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #91
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
I looked on the website, but the LeMans track still looks the same from the last time I went. I'm trying to go sometime in the fall, since summer is extremely busy for me. Trying to get a group of my friends to go, but none of my friends are car people.
I'll join you & possibly @mdm as well. Lets us know.

Joyride86 (08-19-2016), mdm (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #92
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Where did they make the change?
They finished yesterday, probably a few hours before I came to race
Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #93
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
I looked on the website, but the LeMans track still looks the same from the last time I went.

Ignore the website, it's shiny piece of crap, especially since they rolled out the new version in May. The layouts on the website are highly schematic and not updated. The one shown for Manassas is completely different from the actual layout, and has been like that since the track has opened.

With the new website you even cannot access your previous race results for tracks other than Jessup (though I know a workaround for Manassas, which probably could be figured out for other Autobahn tracks as well).

The changed the layout of Jessup/LeMans twice this year. Not major changes, more of adjustments. In April they smoothed out two or three sharper turns, making it faster by a second (my best time went from 18.4 to 17.4).

Now, after that long tightening turn that comes after the start straight they added a very interesting left kink before the two right-handers. I drove the track only once yesterday and that spot was absolutely great. Actually I drove it against karting rules, basically drifted through the final part of the long turn, through the kink and then through the first right turn, lots of fun.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #94
mdm
not a twin owner

By the way, Dominion Raceway showed the track they are opening this weekend and it looks pretty pathetic.

https://www.facebook.com/DominionRac...e=3&permPage=1
Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #95
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'll join you & possibly @mdm as well. Lets us know.

Sounds good. I'll definitely let you guys know.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joyride86 For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (08-19-2016), mdm (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #96
alxtheoreo

Quote:
By the way, Dominion Raceway showed the track they are opening this weekend and it looks pretty pathetic.

https://www.facebook.com/DominionRac...e=3&permPage=1
I feel like I'll have more fun in my FRS than a kart on this layout.

mdm (08-19-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #97
mdm
not a twin owner

I went there (Dominion Raceway) Saturday. The place has potential, but for now it's somewhat mixed experience.

Pros:
- currently it's the only gas kart track AND the only outdoor track that is sort of in the DC area
- the layout is not as bad as I thought, at least when you drive a "Superkart". They changed it a bit (but not much) compared to that picture above.
- the (super)karts are pretty good. Fast and light enough to respond to body movements, like leaning outside in a turn. They are very new, so tight and pretty consistent. Some teething problems though, one superkart had pretty bad vibration at full speed, and the chain fell off another one while I was driving (I got a free race for that)
- I liked the helmet, it was very comfortable for me. Some weird manufacturer "Awina" but had DOT3 certification.
- they give neck collars (Sparco anatomic or similar), which is good for karts with no rollbars or seat belts (I used my Valhalla though)

Cons:
- the layout still could be more demanding amd interesting, with good racing line (if you're not afraid of driving inches from barriers) much of the track except two or maybe three turns can be driven full throttle even in a superkart, at least on a hot day (meaning good grip). The long straightaway is still too long.
- the "regular" karts are far too slow for the track. You can drive the entire track full throttle without much effort. On the straightaway you get very bored. You could read a book driving a regular kart, much easier than Clarkson drifting an 86. Unfortunately, you have to drive at least once in a regular kart to "qualify" for a superkart. The qualifying is purely qualitiative, meaning that the guy looks at you driving the regular kart and judges whether you're good enough, and asks you how do you feel about it. This is because...
- there is no electronic timing system. No electronic timing board, no printouts afterwards. Not to mention online access to previous results. So you cannot see if you are improving. You actuallycannot really compete with other people on the track. This is probably the worst part.
- there were very few people there, so not much fun racing. Especially when some racers were in regular karts and other in superkarts. There could be, I think, about 15 maybe 20 karts on the track, when I raced there was between 2 and 4 people. Hopefully this will change, it was the first day.
- the whole thing is set up within car racing oval track, which imposes serious limitation. The layout cannot be improved much, it must be that long straightaway (a part of the oval) plus a narrow windy part within the infield. The schedule is dictated by the schedule of car races. To get to the ticket/starting area, you need to cross the oval and the karting track, meaning you can only enter or exit the facility only between kart racing and wait in the sun while race is on. It is a bit annoying.
- it is far from DC area (which is a potential large market), and worse, the access is via I-95 which is notoriously jammed south of DC. It was supposed to be 1 hr away from the place I live, it took me almost 2 hours to get there, on a Saturday afternoon.

Not sure if pro or con: for a superkart on that grippy asphalt on a hot day, you really need gloves. I have a huge blister on my hand after just 4 and a half races, including one in a regular kart.
alxtheoreo (08-21-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #98
mdm
not a twin owner

Autobahn Manassas league started today. Plenty of fun, good racers. Some insanely good.

There were 25 racers, and I am sure they could accomodate a few more, so if you guys want to join, it's going to continue for 8 weeks, every Wednesday at 8.
alxtheoreo (09-15-2016)