follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #127
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
lol that's nothing, @Tcoat commutes longer just to get to work. It will be well worth spending three hours driving to the track and back for the fun you'll have. This handy site exists too:
https://torontotrackdays.com/
I'm 1.5 hours away from Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway, 3 hours away from Thunderhill, all one way and the driving distance is the least of my worries.

Looks like you could hit at least 2x autocrosses per month in the warm season at the Powerade Center in Brampton:
http://www.pitl.ca/seriesinfo.php
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/autocross

Not sure who else runs in the area, could probably ask around here instead:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19
He's about an hour from MoSport. He's also the same distance to Watkins Glen as most Long Island / NJ people that go regularly. Calabogie too.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #128
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So I added up what I know for the shipping you stated, fees, exchange, taxes etc and the $90 each tires would cost me $890 just to get them here. That includes no installation. Even the $260 to ship actually costs $338 with the exchange.

As I said earlier in this thread the $78 rear diffuser I bought from Ebay cost me $260 by the time I received it. My wife almost killed me with it.

You guys think we are joking or exaggerating when we say that things cost more here? You can't make this shit up!!!!!!
But you have free healthcare... so there's that.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #129
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
But you have free healthcare... so there's that.
Ya "free" right.
gramicci101 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #130
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I can't tell the difference between drop in & oem filter.

Funny thing is i'm still on stock air box after almost 40k mile & after careful research over the last 2 years... decide to pull trigger on TRD intake. lol

But then again I'm also eyeing that HKS inlet.... cuz I heard it will make intake noise louder...

*Translation: Just need more induction noise @ this point of life, Tired of exhaust.
I have the HKS inlet. Meh. It definitely opens up the restrictive stock tubing in front of the air box. Every once in a while if you listen close under acceleration you can very vaguely make out a slight hiss but it's usually drowned out by the exhaust or other car/road noises. By itself I'd say not really worth it but combined with a high flow drop in and silicone smooth inlet tube you're definitely improving air flow.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #131
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ya "free" right.
Heh, I'll take "free" over "most expensive in the first world" any day.

According to wiki Canada spends about half as much per Capita as the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

And just like your system, 'average' means those of us better off are paying for those less fortunate.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #132
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I know we're in complete agreement. Just beating the horse for OP's sake. I didn't mention camber specifically because the car must first be driven to its limit to truly appreciate the effectiveness of negative camber. I maintain that it's much safer to explore the car as-is with the inherent understeer. Only after it becomes frustrating for the driver would I recommend easing it into a more balanced state. Understeer really is safer for 99.8% of the drivers out there.
To further drive this point home, running in Instructor/A-Solo groups, my car is in it's second season of umpteen track days, is still on a bone stock suspension and can hang with some serious cars. No bushings, sways, shocks, springs, height adjustment, camber, etc. have been touched since it rolled out of the dealership. I've had absolutely no handling related performance complaints (other than throwing 245 Direzza's on it). Because it is also my daily, I do not have to cringe at attempting to clear speed bumps, drive across rough roads, or worry about long distance trip comfort.

While there is definitely room for improvement, it is an extremely capable setup out of the box and you can have a LOT of fun without dumping a ton of money into it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (05-31-2016), Norville Rogers (05-31-2016), strat61caster (05-31-2016), Ultramaroon (05-31-2016), wireman957 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #133
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
To further drive this point home, running in Instructor/A-Solo groups, my car is in it's second season of umpteen track days, is still on a bone stock suspension and can hang with some serious cars. No bushings, sways, shocks, springs, height adjustment, camber, etc. have been touched since it rolled out of the dealership. I've had absolutely no handling related performance complaints (other than throwing 245 Direzza's on it). Because it is also my daily, I do not have to cringe at attempting to clear speed bumps, drive across rough roads, or worry about long distance trip comfort.

While there is definitely room for improvement, it is an extremely capable setup out of the box and you can have a LOT of fun without dumping a ton of money into it.

Exactly
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #134
Uplink

Quote:
LOL! Ya or a quick drive across the border to Detroit. Internals do not show up on the border pictures.
You mean to pick up a stolen one with all the mods already done? It is Detroit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
SlammedSilly (05-31-2016), Tcoat (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #135
Vic4uf

Drives: FRS, Camry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Suntek CXP tints 25% all the way around and 70% on the front windshield. An absolute must in sunny Florida. I hardly need to wear my sunglasses while driving now.
Vic4uf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #136
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I don't understand that, the OTS tunes are really conservative but give really good power for NA. Do you have a forum post of the person who said that? Even shiv didnt have an answer?
Hey, sorry for the extremely late reply and also for resurrecting this thread, but here is a conversation from a guy that had OFT tune.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #137
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShield View Post
Hey, sorry for the extremely late reply and also for resurrecting this thread, but here is a conversation from a guy that had OFT tune.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Can't see it it'd be better if you could screenshot then post it here. Personally for me I have had no issues all summer running a UEL and Stage 2 E85 tune, I am most definitely making 190-200 at the wheels as are others running it who have dynoed it. It's well worth the money if you don't have access or the capital to have a custom tune done or an ecutek e-tune
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
everythingsablur (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:03 AM   #138
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Can't see it it'd be better if you could screenshot then post it here. Personally for me I have had no issues all summer running a UEL and Stage 2 E85 tune, I am most definitely making 190-200 at the wheels as are others running it who have dynoed it. It's well worth the money if you don't have access or the capital to have a custom tune done or an ecutek e-tune
I can see where your coming from a money saving perspective, but personally I'd want the best for my car and if that means not going with a product that could potentially be hazardous, I'd take that route.
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #139
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Hello fellow Gt86 drivers!
After coming to a realization that installing a turbo kit for the car is going to cost me well over 5k CAD, I decided to keep saving the money and go for cheaper mods to the car.

Right now it has a catback exhaust and valenti tailights. I'm not looking for cosmetic mods like front splitters and etc. I think the car looks amazing as it is.

Reason for the $500 budget is that I dont want to be spending 2k+ for wheels, tires and coilovers. Just getting one of those is pointless but that is a plan for the future.

I am hoping for a noticeable change that comes with the modification, although I know that is asking a lot with just $500. But because I am satisfied with the way it looks right now, I am shooting for a minor performance upgrade.

I was thinking lightweight crank pulleys. From what I've researched, lighter unsprung mass in the drivetrain is always good. Subtle yes, but good nonetheless. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any ideas or modifications you guys are running that is noticieable the way how the vehicle handles/accelerations/revs/anything really?

I proudly own a '15 FRS with AT Transmission. I would appreciate any comments
My mod budget is also very limited and what I've done so far has been around $500 and I'm very happy with the mods even though what I have done isn't real popular here. My car sounds and feels awesome. So I'll toss in $0.02 and suggest a different idea.

You have the catback exhaust already. As I understand, Canada is pretty strict with emissions so gutting cats is out, but gutting the header and using a spacer for the P0420 is free and yields big gains with a tune. I went a different route since I don't want the noise of an open header.

You can get a flash tuner like OFT used for under $500. You can get a used Unichip for less than half that. I have Unichip and a 93 tune- the results are dyno proven by others and the car is better to drive than before. I'm sure an ECU tune would be better, but I like cheap, fully untraceable, reversible in 15 minutes and conservative. I'm not tuned right to the edge, I still have plenty of margin for error if something goes wrong. I don't trust any gas station manager to always put 93 in the 93 tank. If i hear a knock, I can flick a switch and fix it if I get bad gas.

A drop in gives the same power as a full intake (which is not much) but a full intake looks and sounds better. It's not a sucking noise or a hiss or anything, it's a whole different sound. If the sound is important to you, find one used for cheap. I got mine second hand and I love it. If sound and looks don't matter, IMHO you should save your money and get nothing unless you can get it cheap- a drop in just doesn't provide enough of anything to be a worthwhile upgrade on a budget. The tune will be right around your $500 mark if you get a second hand tuner.

Watch Craigslist and the classifieds here. As people upgrade to FI they sell off their old mods.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #140
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShield View Post
I can see where your coming from a money saving perspective, but personally I'd want the best for my car and if that means not going with a product that could potentially be hazardous, I'd take that route.

Except its not hazardous, that's blatant misinformation, I've data-logged quite a bit and found that these tunes are quite conservative and very safe.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (08-11-2016), everythingsablur (08-10-2016)