follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
DailyDriver86

Drives: Hyper BLUE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
225 50 17

Only owners with tall tires. I don't plan on having a debate or argument.

Hi guys. Just got my BRZ yesterday after almost a year lurking. It's a gorgeous WRB! I've never owned a sports car before but I saw an image of a rally FRS and I just absolutely loved that look. I have a cottage and it's almost 2km of dirt road. In the summer I'd like to bring my BRZ there. Not a fan of lowered cars (I don't race or track) but I like that sports car look since it's just me and my girl.

Those with tall tires 225 50 17 and maybe 225 55 17 could you please give some input. Not only would it fill that giant gap, but would also be practical as well.

Thanks in advance
DailyDriver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
1) check meaty tire thread
2) another option of more ground clearance is lift spacers, such as from subtle solutions
3) higher coilovers then stock. Not much of such. There is TRD rally set of +1cm, Cusco's, Tein Monosports. Or something like Tarmac 0/KW V1-V3 (as among coilovers with lot of travel)+spacers.
2 & 3 won't have cons of worsening acceleration due longer overall gearing ratio due bigger diameter tires. But it might be not for you, as you are among those that sees that "giant gap".
If you still go for taller tires, it's worth to consider supplementing them with higher ratio final drive diff.

I myself after some driving habbits adjustment find stock height reasonable. It's scraping only going over some curb or in deep snow (might be issue @CA). Or when doing rally-ish driving on bad roads. Shouldn't be much of a problem when normal driving, even on some gravel roads.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
S84kam

Drives: FBRZS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
awesome coincidence that i just put my tires on today. I'm a bit eager and the steelies were killing me. I'm forecasting that last week was the last snow storm, fingers crossed. I am currently running 225 50 17. There are actually a few members here running the same and larger as well. For me the size is perfect, its tall enough to hide that hideous gap and comfortable enough. The only downside, it looks like an off road vehicle, but hey thats what your aiming for so thats perfect.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing. Make sure you get a tire with stiffer side walls. Or else it'll feel like you're running on marshmallows on tight turns. Im running on Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats, they're just as good as stock feeling!

Last edited by S84kam; 10-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.
S84kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #4
DailyDriver86

thanks S84kam for the quick replies! I love how your car looks with those tires, this was exactly what I was looking for.

there is a user by the name @15limited and he has a sick set up. has 245 45 17 is the same height as @S84kam 225 50 17

according to @DarrenDriven http://www.frsproject.com these are the exact same height.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #5
DailyDriver86

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
1) check meaty tire thread
2) another option of more ground clearance is lift spacers, such as from subtle solutions
3) higher coilovers then stock. Not much of such. There is TRD rally set of +1cm, Cusco's, Tein Monosports. Or something like Tarmac 0/KW V1-V3 (as among coilovers with lot of travel)+spacers.
2 & 3 won't have cons of worsening acceleration due longer overall gearing ratio due bigger diameter tires. But it might be not for you, as you are among those that sees that "giant gap".
If you still go for taller tires, it's worth to consider supplementing them with higher ratio final drive diff.

I myself after some driving habbits adjustment find stock height reasonable. It's scraping only going over some curb or in deep snow (might be issue @CA). Or when doing rally-ish driving on bad roads. Shouldn't be much of a problem when normal driving, even on some gravel roads.
Thank you for your reply @churchx

I may try to stick with my stock suspension. My Jeep does most of the offroading in the winter or inclement weather. My BRZ is just a child hood dream/adult experiment. I've always owned SUVs/Trucks. This forum is so much fun browsing. Lots of activity!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DailyDriver86: btw, if you are seeking similar higher sidewall tires but for winter .. imho it's worth getting narrower ones then 225 or stock. For example 205/50/R17 (+2% diameter/+5.7mm ride height), 195/55/R17(+3.25%/10.5mm), 205/55/R17(+4.87%/16mm). Our cars are relatively light, and have relatively wide tires already as is. So even wider then stock tires are more susceptible to aquaplaning or loosing grip in snow, where narrower with more pressure per area could have been pushed down through slush to more grippy surface. Also while with there might be some wise bit behind thinking of stiffer sidewall in summer tires, occasions of needing higher tires are way less if any on normal roads so why not using stock sizes, in winter ones sidewall stiffness should matter less, as driving is more careful, slower .. just get any tire that has most grip. Michelin XIce3, Blizzak WS80, Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 or from studded Nokian Hakkapeliita 8. And, while with less stiff sidewall turn in might be felt less immediate, you get more comfort and easier to work with mass transfer.
Lot of forum activity? Because we love our cars . Even with their cheap pricing for their much more expensive looks and wonderful handling for that price they provide us loads of driving fun.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote