follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What shocks would you recommend?

Just planning how I want to handle the suspension on the car when I get it. I was planning on just getting a set of lowering springs, but, from everything I've read, lowering the car will kill the stock shocks in a matter of a few thousand miles. If I was going to go for about a half inch to an inch drop, what shocks would you guys recommend? Just see a lot of talk about coilovers, but that's a bit beyond my budget and a little overkill for what I would like out of this car.

Thank you for any suggestions...definitely would appreciate make/model (since there are so many options out there in general).

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I can't reccomend @Racecomp Engineering enough. These guys are second to none when it comes to "real world" suspension set-ups and advice.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
from everything I've read, lowering the car will kill the stock shocks in a matter of a few thousand miles.
Maybe if you get Tein S Techs or some absurdly high springrates...otherwise the common options for sale should be fine (read: RCE Yellows, Eibach Pro kit, Swift, etc.).
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
....from everything I've read, lowering the car will kill the stock shocks in a matter of a few thousand miles....
Classic urban myth. ...unless you remove the bumpstops, slam into curbs all day long, and end up bottoming the pistons in the shock body. I've inspected many cars that have stock dampers + lowering springs with >50k miles and the dampers are still good-to-go.

RCE's Yellow springs come with shorter but firmer bumpstops that don't let that happen. With those springs, the stock dampers are perfectly fine. Don't waste your money unless you feel you need the adjustability of a Koni Yellow.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (01-31-2013), Dave-ROR (01-31-2013), GTB/ZR-1 (01-31-2013), JoeBoxer (01-31-2013), Racecomp Engineering (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
As with any other component on your car, if you use it, it will wear quicker. My stock rear dampers were leaking after 8 track events. If your car is purely on the street, I would say it would be a non issue for the most part what you choose. I am within 3/4" of stock ride height. YMMV
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mines13 For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
CaptainSlow

Thank you everyone for the quick responses! I really appreciate the advice, and love hearing good news! The car will be on the street for 99%+ of the time (might do an autocross once a year), so it sounds like I should be good to go! Thanks for the spring suggestions, as well. I was going to do my research (since I figured that question had been asked over and over again), but I appreciate the suggestions...definitely narrows the search down quite a lot!

Edit: Think I'm going to go with the RCE Yellows...nothing but good stuff about those, and they're just in the range I was looking as far as drop and price. Dumb side question...these will work with the stock wheels/tires without issue, right? I would imagine so (have seen pictures with that setup), but wanted to make sure
Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the quick responses! I really appreciate the advice, and love hearing good news! The car will be on the street for 99%+ of the time (might do an autocross once a year), so it sounds like I should be good to go! Thanks for the spring suggestions, as well. I was going to do my research (since I figured that question had been asked over and over again), but I appreciate the suggestions...definitely narrows the search down quite a lot!

Edit: Think I'm going to go with the RCE Yellows...nothing but good stuff about those, and they're just in the range I was looking as far as drop and price. Dumb side question...these will work with the stock wheels/tires without issue, right? I would imagine so (have seen pictures with that setup), but wanted to make sure
They will work just fine, they are also the only symmetrical spring rate (front to rear) spring only upgrade out there so far. Most of the top few fastest FR-S/BR-Z car's lap times are on equal spring rates front to rear. Not necessarily the only right way to get around a track quickly, but it is working well for many.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mines13 For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Stock would be no problem at all. I don't know the limit with stock spring/strut clearance, but most people fit x9" (35-45 offset) no problem (some had slight rubbing depending on tire they use).
My case is similar to yours, its for the most part DD street driving. I do want to try autox etc kind of sports, but it depends more on time available and budget. If you really get serious into sports of this, then I think it may be worth to get the struts that will let you explore more performance potential.
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to df.dima For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
CaptainSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by df.dima View Post
Stock would be no problem at all. I don't know the limit with stock spring/strut clearance, but most people fit x9" (35-45 offset) no problem (some had slight rubbing depending on tire they use).
My case is similar to yours, its for the most part DD street driving. I do want to try autox etc kind of sports, but it depends more on time available and budget. If you really get serious into sports of this, then I think it may be worth to get the struts that will let you explore more performance potential.
Exactly. If, down the road, I decide to get more serious, I'll think about a more hardcore setup. For cruising around town, this sounds like a great plan!