follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2021, 09:21 PM   #29
Btborja

Drives: 2013 Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Well, you wouldn’t ever be able to install the heads backwards seeing how your cam sprockets need to be towards the front of the engine, but I suppose it MIGHT be possible to swap the heads from passenger’s side to driver’s side, but I highly doubt that Subaru would engineer that possibility into the design. I.E. the bolt patterns simply wouldn’t allow for that to be possible and you would be using the intake ports as exhaust ports and vice versa. You probably wouldn’t even be able to bolt the intake and exhaust manifolds on in that case. Someone with experience pulling these engines and heads here should be able to verify this as I have not had to do this personally.

You’re getting flames shooting out the intake like it’s trying to fire on the exhaust stroke. That’s the classic symptom with a distributor-style ignition system when the distributor is rotated 180 degrees out of sync or the wires are connected to the cap in the wrong order. Perhaps you’ve got your intake and exhaust cam sensors swapped? I’m running out of ideas.

Yeah good point it’s very impossible because the way the bolts on head are lined up haha anyways. I just wish that I was the guy that installed his timing chain incorrectly and is swearing he did it right so I could have this figured out😭😭
I’m definitely pretty stumped 🤦🏽*♂️
Btborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #30
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I did find this little article here:
https://www.armstrongfamilyblog.com/...relation-p0018
mentioning having to replace the ECU after certain cam sprocket repairs, but we all know that these ECU's can be reflashed to an updated cal ID so that would save you from having to buy a new ECU. The only thing with this article is that it doesn't mention the problem of not starting or running, only running poorly and idling rough.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #31
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Do you have any tuning suites or logging programs so that you can post some logging data during cranking that might give some of our other experts here an idea of what might be going on?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:54 PM   #32
Btborja

Quote:
Do you have any tuning suites or logging programs so that you can post some logging data during cranking that might give some of our other experts here an idea of what might be going on?
That is a very interesting article. As you said it doesn’t mention anything about the car not running... I’d say the only thing that might be different in my situation is I broke both intake and exhaust Ocv on driver side of engine. Not sure Thatd make a difference but there’s that. Unfortunately I have no type of tuning softwares. I’m almost considering it.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 AM   #33
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btborja View Post
That is a very interesting article. As you said it doesn’t mention anything about the car not running... I’d say the only thing that might be different in my situation is I broke both intake and exhaust Ocv on driver side of engine. Not sure Thatd make a difference but there’s that. Unfortunately I have no type of tuning softwares. I’m almost considering it.

I've actually replaced all four of my OCV solenoids as I found that one of them was leaking oil out from the connector terminals. There are different versions of these solenoids depending upon year of the vehicle and some have been upgraded to address the oil leaking issues. Different existing part numbers are replaced with different new part numbers. There is TSB from Subaru on this which you can Google that has a chart to help identify the old part numbers and subsequent replacement part numbers for each of the identified groups of model years.

However, I need to tell you that when replaced mine with the updated parts, I was not required to do anything different in the way of programming in a different CAL ID ROM. The new oil control valve solenoids just worked out of the box.

When you broke them, could you have possibly shorted out the harness side of the plug pins possibly doing damage to the ECU or hopefully just confusing it? If you suspect that might be the case, what you could try first is to disconnect the negative cable from your battery and then short that negative cable to the positive terminal to drain any static voltage that may remain, then reconnect the negative terminal to the battery and try starting it again. This may help to reset the ECU and possibly get it firing in the proper sequence again. This may not help, but it won't hurt to try.

As for logging, there are several choices available. Personally, since I'm doing all of my flashing at home and getting remote tuning done, I'm using EcuTek to log, but this requires a substantial investment.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #34
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
is it possible the dowel fell out and you installed the reluctor wheel in the wrong orientation? That would cause the engine to fire at the wrong time.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #35
Btborja

Quote:
I've actually replaced all four of my OCV solenoids as I found that one of them was leaking oil out from the connector terminals. There are different versions of these solenoids depending upon year of the vehicle and some have been upgraded to address the oil leaking issues. Different existing part numbers are replaced with different new part numbers. There is TSB from Subaru on this which you can Google that has a chart to help identify the old part numbers and subsequent replacement part numbers for each of the identified groups of model years.

However, I need to tell you that when replaced mine with the updated parts, I was not required to do anything different in the way of programming in a different CAL ID ROM. The new oil control valve solenoids just worked out of the box.

When you broke them, could you have possibly shorted out the harness side of the plug pins possibly doing damage to the ECU or hopefully just confusing it? If you suspect that might be the case, what you could try first is to disconnect the negative cable from your battery and then short that negative cable to the positive terminal to drain any static voltage that may remain, then reconnect the negative terminal to the battery and try starting it again. This may help to reset the ECU and possibly get it firing in the proper sequence again. This may not help, but it won't hurt to try.

As for logging, there are several choices available. Personally, since I'm doing all of my flashing at home and getting remote tuning done, I'm using EcuTek to log, but this requires a substantial investment.
I can definitely give it a shot. Unfortunately im at a shit point in my life and can’t afford to get it at this moment. I’ll definitely get it figured out soon haha
Old 01-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #36
Btborja

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
is it possible the dowel fell out and you installed the reluctor wheel in the wrong orientation? That would cause the engine to fire at the wrong time.
The reluctor wheel is definitely in right position. As far as dowel.... not 100% sure if there was one in there! But gosh it’s been awhile since I’ve had engine out. I know I had the dot on flywheel lined up with the dowel and stuff for sure... would reluctor wheel spin freely if it wasn’t in there?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #37
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
the dowel is just there to keep it aligned until the flex plate/flywheel is bolted up. But, if the dowel is missing it could have moved while you were installing the flex plate.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #38
Btborja

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
the dowel is just there to keep it aligned until the flex plate/flywheel is bolted up. But, if the dowel is missing it could have moved while you were installing the flex plate.
Crap man, it’s been so long since I’ve had the engine out. I’m honestly debating on pulling it to make sure I lined it up correctly. I honestly feel like I installed it correctly. I paid extreme attention to detail and lining everything up seems very straight forward like you almost can’t mess it up unless you’re not paying attention but I’m running out of options 😪
Old 01-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #39
Btborja

Found out the issue guys....
Old 01-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #40
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btborja View Post
Found out the issue guys....
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:37 AM   #41
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Old 01-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #42
Btborja

My bad been super busy���� butttttt the reluctor wheel was out 180 degrees ����*♂️����*♂️ As I mentioned it was facing the correct way but wasn’t 100% sure it was lined up with dowel. Car now runs and drives!